Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Optimal healing after scar revision

Hello everybody, 

I've done a lot of reading on this forum the last days and I keep stumbling upon the same reason why we don't get the results we want from scar revision procedures: we don't heal properly, they say. 

So, I was wondering what tips and tricks you use to optimise your healing. Sure, age and genetics are important factors, but there must be things we could do. I'm in my 30's now and probably won't heal as well as an 18 year old. What I've used so far is: Vit C 2000mg/d, Terproline cream, Vit C serum, Retinol as recommended by my derm, besides, you know, eating healthy and exercise.

From some MMA fighters I heard that intermittent fasting and eating more plant-based meals helps the body healing powers and they recover from injuries way faster than other athletes. Apparently it is backed up by science, they say. I thought there could be something to it, since growth hormones are increased in your sleep if you fast. 

Have you heard of this? Generally what can we, the not 20 something any more, do to help our skin heal better?

Thanks for reading this, it got a bit long...

Edited by Guest
Typos

post procedure depends on what I do here are some tips nothing fancy:

cross: pre prep with tretinoin 2-3 weeks out and back off 2-3 days before treatement. After procedure i don't use any product or wash my face other than cold water, Aquafor on wounds and sleep with gauze pads/medical tape to protect scabbing. No products until all scabs go away.

Subcision: pre proceudure I back off of any medications that will make me bleed in excess. Aquafor on needle wounds, suction after 3 days for 3 weeks. 

RF microneedle: The same 2-3 week tretinoin prep then back off 2-3 days. Get off any medications that effect blood 1 week out. Get back on tretinoin after 6-7 days. Aquafor on pinhole wounds. Ice, arnica pills, arnica cream (50mg of Predisinoine if they prescribe it) for reduction of swelling.

Fillers: haven't had it yet, so I don't know yet. Probably massaging/icing, Aquafor in needle wounds. 

As far as diet. Intermittent fasting is good thing to do in general but I have not seen any results as far as wound recovery. I eat a clean diet as to avoid breakouts during scar treatment, vegtables, lean proteins, clean carbs. Plenty of sleep.

As far as how my skin is doing in my teens vs 30's I just see less fill in my cheeks which I intended to correct with sculptra. 

@joeysk thank you for the reply! It all makes sense what you are doing. I was never told about the gauze pads to protect the scabs after CROSS, but I'll do it next time, for sure. Thanks! 

You seem to be interested in the same treatment as I do (for later). For now I'd like to see what my skin can do in its own with manual methods, then give it additional push with HA fillers/ Sculptra.

As far as the fasting goes, interesting, isn't it? if the athletes do it to speed up healing there must be something about it. Oh, and I read on the lifestyle forum that some people are doing a 21 days water fast! Apparently it helps with the scarring.

On 11/17/2019 at 4:55 PM, NuageBlanche said:

@joeysk thank you for the reply! It all makes sense what you are doing. I was never told about the gauze pads to protect the scabs after CROSS, but I'll do it next time, for sure. Thanks! 

You seem to be interested in the same treatment as I do (for later). For now I'd like to see what my skin can do in its own with manual methods, then give it additional push with HA fillers/ Sculptra.

As far as the fasting goes, interesting, isn't it? if the athletes do it to speed up healing there must be something about it. Oh, and I read on the lifestyle forum that some people are doing a 21 days water fast! Apparently it helps with the scarring.

Sounds like a bunch of pseudo science. If I only ate water for 21 days, my face would lean out like I'm in a concentration camp or something. My face would get atrophic and scars more visible. Kind of defeats the whole point of treatments. 

If you're going to take 2000mg Vitamin C, take 1000mg every 12 hours or so. Your body can't absorb that much Vitamin C all at once, so that's why I take 1000mg in the morning and 1000mg at night. I also take selenium, lysine, and zinc for skin supplements. Been doing the collagen drink thing but I think that's helped my nails and hair more than skin lol. 

@joeysk not so sure about that. True. During those 21 days you'll lose weight, but you'll gain it back. There's this theory that fasting stimulates autophagy, the gegrading of old collagen in the cells. In fact, there's some very solid science (and experience) linking IF with improved healing. Moreover, there's some very solid science linking IF, calory & protein restriction with longevity, anti-aging( including the appearance of the skin). For reference - Harvard professor Dr. David Sinclair. His skin looks a.m.a.z.i.n.g for his age!