Notifications
Clear all

What is it with the ''upside'' logic in the acne community?

MemberMember
(@supersonicforever)

Posted : 11/13/2019 6:39 pm

While there is an amount of despair there is also this push from some overoptimisticpeople that acne has upsides. To be honest it does not.

There is a perception that acne sufferer's age less which is absolutely not true because the inflammation overtimedamages our collagen leading to not only scars but an accelerated wrinkling process. Acne leads to social isolation and rigid thinking (focusing too much on how skin looks, diet and other things) which hinders a person, especially a young adult from having a normal life or even from an education and career. Even worse, severe acne sufferers have a very difficult time even getting employment. Some people get fired because of their skin and lose their income (especially in minimum wage jobs).

Acne leads to disfigurement, acceleratedageing, anxiety, social isolatation, distrust, romantic rejection, self derogatory thoughts, body dysmorphia, Orthorexia (healthy eating obsession), unemployment and in some cases suicide. The upside theory falls flat.

MemberMember
(@fvckacne)

Posted : 11/17/2019 8:25 pm

It can help you develop a better character and be less judgemental I suppose but for the most part acne just sucks dick. I do agree with the thought that inflammation can only really be a bad thing. There's no benefit to chronic inflammation which is probably unnecessary.

To the people who say it's a normal thing, I say: acne is classified as a disease. No matter how minor or severe, the condition we know as acne is not how the skin normally should be.

MemberMember
(@jwalk)

Posted : 11/18/2019 3:27 pm

On 11/13/2019 at 11:39 PM, supersonicforever said:

While there is an amount of despair there is also this push from some overoptimisticpeople that acne has upsides. To be honest it does not.

Some people have this inherent need to soothe their minds with a Pollyanna style attitude to life. Its like a comfort blanket they dont want to leave it behind. Theres nothing inherently wrong with this, the problem is that in order to maintain their delusion they need to denigrate those who dont share their opinion and coerce them into believing the same thing they do. Anything that challenges their beliefs is painful to them because they know they arent really true. This can often lead to victim blaming or gas lighting tactics.

I cant count the number of people who have refused to accept that anyone has ever been cruel to me as a result of my appearance. They always spin the line that no one notices or cares how you look, so you must have done something to antagonise them.

On 11/13/2019 at 11:39 PM, supersonicforever said:

Acne leads to disfigurement, acceleratedageing, anxiety, social isolatation, distrust, romantic rejection, self derogatory thoughts, body dysmorphia, Orthorexia (healthy eating obsession), unemployment and in some cases suicide. The upside theory falls flat.

One thing I will say is that there isnt really a universal acne experience. Not everyone experiences these things to the same degree.

MemberMember
(@supersonicforever)

Posted : 03/21/2020 9:06 pm

On 11/17/2019 at 8:25 PM, FvckAcne said:

It can help you develop a better character and be less judgemental I suppose but for the most part acne just sucks dick. I do agree with the thought that inflammation can only really be a bad thing. There's no benefit to chronic inflammation which is probably unnecessary.

To the people who say it's a normal thing, I say: acne is classified as a disease. No matter how minor or severe, the condition we know as acne is not how the skin normally should be.

For some people they judge other peoples skin ''more'' because they're so insecure about their own. I also notice people who cleared their acne from some super food diet or accutane can be quite judgemental towards those with bad acne. I've even had people who once had acne as bad as I have criticise me for ''not getting control of it'' like they did. So the theory about acne sufferer's being less judgemental is not always true.

There is nothing normal about acne. It's a disease. A disease is not normal. Most people may be acne prone in their teens but that doesn't mean they have acne. Most people don't have persistent acne at all. Inflammation leads to total disfigurement. My acne scars were so bad on my shoulder's and destroyed so much Collagen I developed wrinkles/crepey skin in that area at about 22. If anyone needs proof that chronic inflammatory acne destroys collagen and ages you, that's it.

Acne: Rotten.