Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sisi90

Advice fresh scars

Hi everybody

I've been suffering from severe acne which left me with a lot of PIE and scars. They are very fresh and I was wondering what I could do to treat them as soon as possible. Do you think I should do AHA peels? I've heard this helps. Or should I go with the derminator right away? 

You can do both.  40% lactic peels are the best, IMHO, I like those by Make Up Artist Choice. They are effective if you still have inflammed acne too as they reduce inflammation. If you still have inflammed areas I would wait with the microneedling until you are pimple free, otherwise you could spread the infection with the derminator, I think. Prof Chu says that the Dermapen has an anti-inflammatory effect, but I have always chosen to be on the safe side and not to have needling while with active pimples.

So, both peels and needling are good for fresh scars, those scars are supposed to be easier to treat bc they are not fibrotic yet. Hope that info helps!

Edited by NuageBlanche

Thanks for reply. Can I do glycolic peels instead of lactic? My doctor offers 50% and 70% glycolic peels. he also says it's ok to needle now. I just wasn't sure which one gives best results. Peels or needling? 

Yes, you can use all kinds of peels - glycolic, lactic, salicyl, tca. I was just speaking from experience here. I prefer the lactic acid because it works wonderfully against PIE, makes the skin very soft, and is gentle to the skin compared to other stronger peels. And it is safe to do it yourself and you can save the derm costs for other treatments or more pleasant things :)The thing is that after acne treatment the skin has usually taken its toll, whether from topicals or even the antibiotics and accutane are thinning the skin. So lactic peels provide a gentle peeling effect without much irritation in the first 6 months after accutane till you can do more serious procedures like subcision plus filler, TCA CROSS, etc. If you need any. 

Just sharing my experience that lactic peels are good for PIE and minimal scarring. But I don't know your skin. You'd better search for Info (there's plenty in the pinned topics) and ask your own derm. 

Edited by NuageBlanche

You can also try the acne.org glycolic acid to start off and see how your skin reacts to it. It has helped me a lot. Of course you will have to be patient with it.

thank you for the advice. I was never on Accutane just antibiotics and Retin A. According to my derm the retin A cream will sort out most of the PIE but I want to speed up the process.:) I don't know if I can do peels at home  too scared I'll burn my skin haha. How long does it take to recover after the lactic and the glycolic peel? 

Edited by Sisi90

Thanks. I think I have a plan. I'm going  for glycolic peels with my derm for now and later I can have some needling. Gosh I want those scars gone as soon as possible

Edited by Sisi90