Notifications
Clear all

Acne/Folliculitis on Forearms. PLEASE HELP!!!

MemberMember
(@marcoco)

Posted : 11/02/2019 10:52 pm

Hello all! I™ve been breaking out on my back/shoulders for good 10 years but recently I™ve been having weird breakouts on my forearms (please see attached pictures). I went to 9 different dermatologists but they weren™t of much help and I exhausted all treatments with the except of accutane that I™ll be on soon. If you or anybody you know suffer from this, please tell me if you know what it is? I™m very fit and I workout everyday but I™m not on steroids and I do not consume dairy at all. Dealing with this is taking such a mental toll on me, and I™d very much appreciate the help if anybody knows what this is/how to deal with it!

7AB95699-A9E5-42AD-B3D5-86690A6E1FA5.JPG

MemberMember
(@bryan-trejos)

Posted : 11/16/2019 7:49 pm

Dermatitis?, Prueba hidrocortisona cada 12 horas en la zona por 5 dias y miras si se te quita, no uses la hidrocortisona por mas de 5 dias ya que adelgaza y dana la piel.

MemberMember
(@marcoco)

Posted : 11/21/2019 6:25 pm

Gracias por su respuesta! Mi dermatologo me receto accutane porque tambien lo tengo en la espalda y los hombros.

MemberMember
(@musicgal)

Posted : 12/20/2019 10:40 pm

Marco & Co,

The mental toll is so challenging. Rest assured, whatever it is appearing on your arms, Isotretinoin will clear it up, but it will get worse before it gets better, so you may see all sorts of stuff coming out during the first 1-2 months.

I would really recommend low dose- 20 mg/day. Only some doctors believe low dose will give a complete cure, but it just takes longer. The side effects at full dose are an even bigger mental challenge!

I never had any acne until developing Nodular acne 3- years ago- dermatologists (3) told me I was scratching my skin in my sleep.

All acne comes from too much sebum. Sebum ( oil) combines with dead skin cells and blocks the hair follicle. If the blockage bursts, it will spread around, and try to find a way out. That is what is on your forearms. These will get inflamed sometimes and be red, or painful. They do not heal, or only temporarily, because more sebum is produced all the time, and they will just fill up again.

So, Isotretinoin (Accutane) is the only way to clear all of your skin, and for good. The drug shrinks the sebaceous glands ( that are over producing your natural oil) and dramatically increases skin cell turnover. You will, after some months, wonder if it will work, and then be amazed one day as the lesions act differently, your skin gets very soft ( but fragile for a while.) I went from despair ( had to lower my dose as I was so stiff,) to a certainty that things were going just as they were supposed to. I am much older, so your results may come more quickly.

Get a huge supply of Dr. Dan's Cortibaum- you will use it every 30 minutes. Eye drops, Saline nose spray, and some pain cream with lidocaine- just in case. Accutanee has a 97% full clearance record-. But some days when your joints and muscles ache, you won't be able to work out, and you will keep questioning if it is worth it. It is.

Marco&Co liked
MemberMember
(@sibel)

Posted : 01/03/2020 8:34 pm

It is not true about Roaccutane. Only 40% are permanently cured other 60% suffer with coming back acne. I had roa for 5 courses and after 6 years of remission I have it back( but the roa is the only drug which helps even only temporary.

Marco&Co liked
MemberMember
(@marcoco)

Posted : 01/17/2020 11:25 am

@MusicgalThanks a lot for the detailed response! I have an appointment with my derm in March (waiting time is 5 months which is ridiculous). I believe accutane is the only solution like you mentioned and I want to do the 20 mg strategy, though I don't know if my derm would approve! Let's hope.

Musicgal liked
MemberMember
(@musicgal)

Posted : 01/27/2020 9:34 pm

On 1/3/2020 at 7:34 PM, Sibel said:

It is not true about Roaccutane. Only 40% are permanently cured other 60% suffer with coming back acne. I had roa for 5 courses and after 6 years of remission I have it back( but the roa is the only drug which helps even only temporary.

The current cure rate at 1 mg/kg, up to a specific total dosage, has a 97% cure rate after including those who took two courses.

It is important to source data. This data comes from the latest position paper from American Academy of Dermatologists on Isotretinoin, and has been adopted by the European Association as well.

Yes, it can come back, but SO many variables can contribute- right dosage to reach total dosage within 6 months; whether the medication is taken with 50 mg fat and 800-1000 calories. Many don't reach either of these levels, and severe acne, caused by overactive sebaceous glands, will return because the oil returns. The exact daily and total dosing is required to shrink the sebaceous unit, and to change the DNA of the millions of microscopic sebaceous glands in our skin. These glands are attached to every hair follicle on your body.

I am actually failing at low dose, but the factors are very different- a massive amount of excess sebum and ruptured pores, age (58! With NO history of acne,) and handicapped by health history of breast cancer, treatment of which caused the sebaceous glands into overdrive over a ten year period. However, I see real progress too; much less sebum, skin drying and peeling. ( And so soft.) But I still have nodules coming up to the surface every day, and in the same places. I believe that if my next cholesterol test goes down a bit ( diet change), I can continue for the full eleven months to reach total dosage, but most importantly, my overall situation will be a whole lot better than the misery and pain of the four years since I finished the standard ten years of estrogen blockers following surgery, chemo and radiation for breast cancer. I am not looking for perfect skin at my age!!

MemberMember
(@kevincardindust-com)

Posted : 04/10/2020 11:43 am

@Marco&CoI suffered from something similar (Folliculitis or Kerotosis Pilaris) on my thighs and butt for 15 years. It was demoralizing so I feel your pain. I even tried Accutane, but it was a short term cure and the negatives far outweigh any positives.

This completely cured it for me:

- Apply Hibiclens in shower and leave on skin for 1-2 minutes

- Wash off with exfoliating scrub cloth

- After shower apply eitherAlpha Skin Care lotion (AHA 12%) or Amlactin

- Take 2 Vitacost Skin, Hair and Nails vitamins per day

- Clean, all natural diet

- Mindset is really important; try the best you can practice a gratitude practice and visualize what it would look and feel like for your skin to be clear

Best of luck to you.

MemberMember
(@amanda-hall)

Posted : 08/10/2021 3:53 pm

I had Keratosis Pilarsis under my arms for months. Maybe it was due to going to the gym during lunchtime and not being able to shower before headingback to work. Maybe it was due to something else. I'm not sure.

I tried using Benzoyl Peroxide and Glycolic acid washes. Then I hopped onto Glytone Exfoliating Body Wash (expensive!!!). These were the cleansers. After showering, I put on Glytone Exfloliating Body Lotion (expensive again!!!) and then tried AmLactin. My KP was gone after about 4-5 months. I don't know which ones were responsible but you can try.

Your spots are larger than KP but could the above work for you? I don't know - I'm not a doctor. But AmLactin is not expensive to try at all.

MemberMember
(@cory_gallivancomcast-net)

Posted : 10/17/2022 8:42 am

I have been suffering from something just like this for the past 10 years. It started after I went to a local health center jacuzzi. Not sure that there is a link, but this flares up for no apparent reason and it's isolated to my forearms and just over my elbow, no where else. I have tried a lot and yes, dermatologists don't know exactly what it is, so they refer to it as folliculitis. When an episode starts for me, my skin gets really itchy and I can't help scratching, but even without scratching, the spots will resolve into a sore and then take about 2-3 weeks to heal. I just live with it, but I do find a little relief in hydrocortisone after a shower, stay away from all bar and fancy liquid soaps, and eat clean...but I'm not suggesting that those are aggravating factors. I had impetigo growing up as a kid in the Caribbean, but that was very different. I hope you have found a cure by now. I'm too old to bother.