Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Guest Zitro

Is acne that bad or is it the media and society...

Guest Zitro

Turn on the TV, watch a sitcom ... main character is seen with not even a pimple.

Go to see a movie with your date..main character is seen with not even a pimple.

Models .. have no pimples in sight. The image of a beautiful man/woman has none.

Society is bitch isn't it ... its only making us look worse. Most of you look very pretty ... its a shame society can decrease that beauty among people with no acne.

People with acne can still be beautiful.

I'm so angry at that ... girls don't aproach me that much because of it... They don't know what lies beyond those skin imperfections sad.gif

Sorry for venting there ...

What's your opinion about this?

In a perfect world, skin condition and appearance wouldnt matter as much as they do but if we are honest, we like beautiful girls more than slightly attractive girls, its just the way things are.

yeah!

it seems in your typical average sitcom, the geeky nerd or ugly girls always have pimples on their faces just to show viewers they are geeky nerds or ugly gals.

Guest Zitro

I don't follow society's tastes very much.

That's why I end up listening to 70s progressive rock, and sometimes don't find a (supposedly pretty) girl attractive or viceversa.

I don't fall in love with a girl because she has DDD size (u know what I mean) and a gallon of makeup.

I think it's totally society. I don't agree that it just shows what we want. Mainly because studies have been shown that each culture finds different things attractive. For example, there are some countries that think hairy women are beautiful Ours, on the other hand, think that any hair is gross unless it's one your head.

Although some people think that the media takes things from society and merely projects it back in, I think that if media just invented something that they considered attractive, we'd jump on it.

I mean hey, when brittney spears wears something new, girls go crazy and buy it. Missy Elliot wore a GARBAGE BAG in oe of her videos, and it was percieved as attractive.

So, I honestly think that if the media projected a more...er...attainable form of attractive, people wouldn't have such low self esteem and shallow standards.

I know how you feel....I'm a 22 year old girl who thinks she's funny/charming/understanding etc...and I haven't dated in two years because I don't fit the mold of a typically attractive girl.

Haha...I know, cry me a bucket. I'll stop whining now. tongue.gif

Guest Zitro

schmishy, that's exactly how I feel society works, most follow it. It's like they are told what is and isn't, Who's pretty and who isn't. We acne sufferers are victims.

Look at music nowadays ... A modern band as talented and rocking as porcupine tree or Spock's Beard gets as much as 1% of attention than Linkin Park.

We acne sufferers are victims.

it's not acne that's keeping you down, it's the victim mentality. No one is a victim of anything, if you treat yourself with respect, others will too.

I'm not "suffering" from acne, just like I'm not suffering from my ear or fingernails. It would be nice for acne to be gone, but no one around me gives a flying fuck that I have acne.

I know this is an acne board, so many people who come here are overly obsessive with acne, but please.. acne is not that big of a deal! Really! Do what you can to try to get rid of it, but saying you can't do this or that because you have some red spots on your face is stupid.

Sure, acne sufferers are victims, just like some white supremacists say they're victims, because the blacks are "taking their jobs." At the same time, blacks say that they are victims, becuase they can't find a job, so they blame everyone but themselves. Everyone likes to blame society for their own faults.

Let me guess... I'm willing to bet you watch television. Well turn it off, and get out in the real world. 90% of people out there are ugly and strange. The other 10% is on television.

It's funny to say that I saw a character in "Life as we know it" (channel 7) with acne. Damn, I hate it how they made him look. He got glasses and he look like a nerd. Your typical acne prone teenager. Which I doubt that actor who play the nerd in that sitcom would have acne. Come on, put real teenagers who get acne and cast them and put it of the show. If you really wanted to make it more real.

media and society definitely contribute to our reaction of acne. contrast when media media didn't exist (progressive era) and when it did (post-WWI) = big difference...notice how commerical/ads tend to focus on our needs, desires, and anxities?

even those who don't follow mainstream ideals will be affected by society and culture one way or another (according to social scientists). of course, this not absolute, i think everyone takes it in different strides...

Bottom line, appearance matters in todays' society...and it's not just acne

And I reckon a guys appearance doesn't matter as much, so I guess we have it easier in that sense..and U should be approaching girls not waiting on them.

of course society has an important role, but you mut ask where the origins of it came from. Acne like other illnesses is unnattractive as it entails unhealthiness of the body (therefore mate), like like other rashes, illnesses. I am talking about our more primitive times by the way.

And I'm sure rashes like acne are unnatractive in all cultures, so we must ask why this is... it originates from our innate drives to seek out the best possible healthy mate, which is also why we generally strive for good looking, generally thin unblemished people

of course society has an important role, but you mut ask where the origins of it came from. Acne like other illnesses is unnattractive as it entails unhealthiness of the body (therefore mate), like like other rashes, illnesses. I am talking about our more primitive times by the way.

yea, i saw an article on this from msn a year ago (click here). and later this year, tons of articles from psychology today published about the innate desire for beauty (here).....but then i realized....that's all totall bs....

there's this whole noam-chomsky-progranda-theory going on here. think about it: these article are supported by advertisers (psychology today was advertising for tyra bank's new 'top model')...their purpose is to get you to buy their products...the best way to do it? to hit your soft spot, your insecurities...telling you there's something wrong with you, that you're disfigured by nature...they're saying: go out and buy these stuff to change it! look at it this way: people have been using psuedo-science "nature" theories for centuries to make us think the way they want us to think: remember when slavery was god-ordained?....racism and euopean superiority in early anthroplogy?...social darwinism?

besides, psychology today has no credibility, my professors won't even accept it a source for reserach. their main purpose is to entertain and sell, not educate. same thing with newsweek, they don't even cite their source or footnote their statictics.

And I'm sure rashes like acne are unnatractive in all cultures, so we must ask why this is... it originates from our innate drives to seek out the best possible healthy mate, which is also why we generally strive for good looking, generally thin unblemished people

studies of other culture have shown non-western cultures are more accepting of acne...what one culture values as beautiful will be their drive for the best possible mate and acne wasn't one of their stigmatized flaws...crazy, isn't it?

not really. Acne is not valued anywhere. Its just in frivolous societies (modern societies) where attractiveness is valued more than anywhere else.

And your criticism of psychology is unjustified. You chose to use only one bad example, I'm sure if you looked at any psychology journals you'd find hundreds of studies.

And your last sentence, what study was this? Some cultures are obviously more accepting, but that doesn't mean they like it. Acne is unnatractive full stop...

a) 'psychlogy today' is a magazine, i wasn't criticizing psychology itself

b) i didn't say any culture valued acne, just less stigmatized...

i think you're missing the whole point of my post....

it's kool, don't wanna turn this into a debate...let's just leave it at that....

Guest Brandon

I'd have to say that, originally, the notion of acne was that it was unsanitary. Ignorance spread and the stereotypes invaded because people didn't, and for the most part still don't, understand that acne is not something that's easy to contain.

Now, it's become a personal vendetta with me and my face where I must defeat the little bastards...I don't care so much about what others think of my skin as I did in the summer.

[URL=http://www.hereinreality.com/makeup/britney/6.html]Britney with Acne!

Being perpetually bombarded by unrealistic Images has taken its toll on many people & how they feel(especial teens) about the way they look. Thats Millions of dollars of marketing and advertising doing its job! Its the whole westernized image of what beauty is. I have traveled to Asia and Africa. For example in Asia they say that people that have eye folds(like an American or European) are said to be more attractive and often times more likely to land a job

. Here in America the Trend in Feminine hygiene is waxed(Ex. a Brazilian ) or shaved is the norm for young women here in America. But in Asia I found lots of places that sell Pubic wigs. Yes there is such a thing! :::giggles::: men tend to like a full bush over there.

In Africa there is no were as much emphasis on beauty then here in the west. They tend to like there partners “fuller�. Men want their women with a little meat on em. And teeth isn’t as a big a deal either.(some area tribes rub black resin on there teeth, because they think that is beautiful) But it is in America! It goes on and on. It all depends on where you are in the world.

No matter how bad your acne is, just think

“someone out there will always have it worse then me.� Like those poor people with various physical conditions that they parade around on shows like MAURY!

I have mild acne (getting better now that im in my 20s)

FYI and if I have a breakout and I was going on a date that evening, I would ask to go to a restaurant that I knew had dim lighting :::laughs:::

:::: Surfing the net I found this awful pictures of Britney Spears without make up…she looks normal and she has acne!!! Take a look, you’ll be amazed! eusa_dance.gif

http://www.hereinreality.com/makeup/britney/6.html

Good luck people in all your clear skin pursuits!