Notifications
Clear all

Depressed over acne, redness and scarring

MemberMember
(@jacktheripper)

Posted : 10/29/2019 12:34 pm

Hey everyone!! I'm new here so not sure if I posted this in the right place.

I have been suffering from acne for 10+ years now and only recently have I invested a bit in treating it after landing a job as I didn't want to burden my parents. I am using a salicylic acid gel, SPF 50 sunscreen and a gentle facewash. Is this the right treatment for me?

I have oily skin and live in India. I'm hoping this works because I abhor looking at myself. My social life over the last decade has been near zero outside of college and now my job. I have lost contact with old friends, family(never attend any functions citing excuses), never click any pics, avoid social media, etc.

I avoid contact with women as I feel so disgusted at my appearance.

Thank you.

20191029_225424.jpg

MemberMember
(@jpablo)

Posted : 11/02/2019 6:30 am

Hey dude, your skin is looking pretty clear!

Keep it up

MemberMember
(@jacktheripper)

Posted : 11/03/2019 7:05 am

On 11/2/2019 at 5:00 PM, jPablo said:

Hey dude, your skin is looking pretty clear!

Keep it up

Nah. It's still inflamed. Thanks for the positivity though.

MemberMember
(@gooditem)

Posted : 11/13/2019 12:00 am

Hi.

Ill have to agree with a previous commenter here, you do have pretty much clear skin, but I do understand your concern and you would like to have a routine that works for you, is that right?

I am usinga salicylic acid gel.

-Okay. What kind of gel? A cleansing gel?

I want to note I appreciate you have a skincare regimenon the other hand, I think salicylic acid would be too drying for you.

You mention having oily skin, so Im going to guess that these products may be toning down your oil production a bit, but not eliminating the problem, right?

And live in India.

-You live in a warmer climate. Its not uncommon for people to have oiliness during the summer, but this seems to be an ongoing problem for you.

People dealing with oiliness tend to have thicker skin than others fighting dryness and flakiness, but thatmeans your skin is stronger and more resilient.

I would like to add that oiliness is _basically_ dryness. Your skin is so dry, it overcompensates with excess sebum in order to protect itself, so you want to AVOID drying chemicals like your acid.

In your case, I would use a gentlecleanser (as you say it ispreferably it does not foam)in the eveningthat hasreplenishing ingredients. We dont want to over-exfoliate with acids everyday. Lets not cleanse in the morning so we can work with our natural oils and moisture.

You wear sunscreen, good for you.

I recommend you start using a nicemoisturizer before your SPF andafter cleansing in the evening.I would toss the gel.

And I want to let you know there is nothing wrong with you. Youre a fine, handsomeyoungman from the looks of it. What you look like shouldnt determine how you should feel about yourself. Acne does change the way you view yourself and the world completely. You start acting differently. Its difficult, I know that, but there is nothing wrong.

I dealt with oily skin in the past but that was before I knew about skincare. I was trying to figure out why I had oily skin. I came across some articles telling me to moisturize and it made a big difference. Not a major difference immediately, but it helped.

Now that I know much more about the importance of a good skincare regime, I started using different products and SPF just like you.

This is my skincare routine:

A.M.:

Niacinamide serum (from The Ordinary)

Hyaluronic acid serum (from The Ordinary)

Natural moisturizing factors + HA

SPF 50

P.M.:

Cleanse sunscreen

(Once or twice a week, I use a chemical exfoliator before moisturizing)

Apply serums, moisturizer

So I saw that The Ordinary is a little costly in India, Im not sure if thats right. Could you let me know what you are willing to spend and we could look over some ideas together?

MemberMember
(@jacktheripper)

Posted : 11/28/2019 1:58 pm

On 11/13/2019 at 10:30 AM, GoodItem said:

Hi.

Ill have to agree with a previous commenter here, you do have pretty much clear skin, but I do understand your concern and you would like to have a routine that works for you, is that right?

I am usinga salicylic acid gel.

-Okay. What kind of gel? A cleansing gel?

I want to note I appreciate you have a skincare regimenon the other hand, I think salicylic acid would be too drying for you.

You mention having oily skin, so Im going to guess that these products may be toning down your oil production a bit, but not eliminating the problem, right?

And live in India.

-You live in a warmer climate. Its not uncommon for people to have oiliness during the summer, but this seems to be an ongoing problem for you.

People dealing with oiliness tend to have thicker skin than others fighting dryness and flakiness, but thatmeans your skin is stronger and more resilient.

I would like to add that oiliness is _basically_ dryness. Your skin is so dry, it overcompensates with excess sebum in order to protect itself, so you want to AVOID drying chemicals like your acid.

In your case, I would use a gentlecleanser (as you say it ispreferably it does not foam)in the eveningthat hasreplenishing ingredients. We dont want to over-exfoliate with acids everyday. Lets not cleanse in the morning so we can work with our natural oils and moisture.

You wear sunscreen, good for you.

I recommend you start using a nicemoisturizer before your SPF andafter cleansing in the evening.I would toss the gel.

And I want to let you know there is nothing wrong with you. Youre a fine, handsomeyoungman from the looks of it. What you look like shouldnt determine how you should feel about yourself. Acne does change the way you view yourself and the world completely. You start acting differently. Its difficult, I know that, but there is nothing wrong.

I dealt with oily skin in the past but that was before I knew about skincare. I was trying to figure out why I had oily skin. I came across some articles telling me to moisturize and it made a big difference. Not a major difference immediately, but it helped.

Now that I know much more about the importance of a good skincare regime, I started using different products and SPF just like you.

This is my skincare routine:

A.M.:

Niacinamide serum (from The Ordinary)

Hyaluronic acid serum (from The Ordinary)

Natural moisturizing factors + HA

SPF 50

P.M.:

Cleanse sunscreen

(Once or twice a week, I use a chemical exfoliator before moisturizing)

Apply serums, moisturizer

So I saw that The Ordinary is a little costly in India, Im not sure if thats right. Could you let me know what you are willing to spend and we could look over some ideas together?

I just saw your reply. Thank you for responding with such a well thought out answer and apologies for the late response on my side.

Using a moisturizer indeed seems to have worked wonders. I haven't ditched the salicylic gel since it seems to have kept those tiny innumerable zits at bay.

My budget so far is around a 1000 rupees and I make this last for a month atleast. Products from the Ordinary look great if unattainable currently. Maybe in the future.

Rarely do I get called handsome haha but now with some improvements, hopefully I'll get some semblance of self confidence. I have about a decade of catching up to do.

No pressure then!!!

Have a good day, dear.

GoodItem liked
MemberMember
(@coolcrack)

Posted : 12/14/2019 3:42 am

Hello. I had suffered from Acne all my life, and im 29, and now even though my skin is not perfect, im over it. Follow these below points and you'll be fine :

1. The main cause of acne and related issues are due to Stress, Junk foods, poor lifestyle.

2. Before starting any treatments for acne, remove all negative thoughts, believe you can heal it.

3. Maintain a good diet, remove all junk foods, soft drinks, have lots of water, fruits, vegetables. Always try to have freshly cooked food. Excercise, sweat, everyday.

3. Read good self help books, listen to people who are successfull - through youtube - learn about their struggles in life. Keep away from people who put you down in life.

4. If you do all these things, half the battle is won with Acne. I have done it.

5. Now, find the best dermatologist near you, talk to him, discuss your problem, and just follow his advice.

6. Keep your hands always clean with a good handwash, its very important, keep a good face wash and a kerchiefwith you always, and keep your face neat and clean.

7. Practice meditation, keep trying, always believe u will succeed, dont listen to people who tell you - you cant do anything. Coz they are the losers.. Not you!

If you need any help, contact me.. I have used almost all medications, treatments and everything... I know this..

MemberMember
(@gooditem)

Posted : 12/24/2019 2:44 am

On 11/28/2019 at 1:58 PM, Jacktheripper said:

I just saw your reply. Thank you for responding with such a well thought out answer and apologies for the late response on my side.

Using a moisturizer indeed seems to have worked wonders. I haven't ditched the salicylic gel since it seems to have kept those tiny innumerable zits at bay.

My budget so far is around a 1000 rupees and I make this last for a month atleast. Products from the Ordinary look great if unattainable currently. Maybe in the future.

Rarely do I get called handsome haha but now with some improvements, hopefully I'll get some semblance of self confidence. I have about a decade of catching up to do.

No pressure then!!!

Have a good day, dear.

Of course, no problem at all. And Im so glad to hear that moisturizer has helped.

This BHA (betaine salicylate)chemical exfoliator seems to be a little over your budget but I can recommend it because Ive tried it. Its free of siliconesbut its kind of blurring, like magic. Honestly, I can say my skin has benefitted so much from this.

So if this product is something you want to try, I would suggest cleansing first, (I apply the productwith cotton pads,) and letting it dry for about 20-30 minutes; (dont wash it off, but you may prefer to dampen your face _just a little_to prep.for your moisturizer.)

I use this like 2times a week, (evenings,) so you can get an idea how to incorporate it in your routine.It takes a bit to see real changes but the results were there for me eventuallyso I hope this helps.

https://beautybarn.in/product/bha-blackhead-power-liquid/
https://daisyskinfix.com/collections/cosrx/products/cosrx-bha-blackhead-power-liquid

These two links are the same product, just two different vendors.

This is something I found that isnt an exfoliator and its from India. Cosrxis a Korean brand so Im also needing to spend a little more on that.

Anyway. This seems to be some sort of repair serum. Of course Ive never tried it so I cant vouch for this or anything, but all the ingredients seem to bepretty good and non-invasive. It seems like its really hydrating.

https://drsheths.in/collections/all/products/cica-ceramide-repair-serum

Have a good day too!

MemberMember
(@slide-2)

Posted : 12/27/2019 12:45 pm

Your skin is not bad at all. It's all about perspective. Mine was much worse. I ended up going on Accutane and spent thousands on acne scar treatments (still currently doing so).

I will say be consistent with a skin care routine. Cleanser, moisturizer and sunscreen are a must. My doc recommended Cerave for me; it is very cheap and worked great for me...everyone is different though. Look into a retinol at night for skin cell turnover. Diet is just as important, you want to avoid the foods that will trigger your acne.

MemberMember
(@jacktheripper)

Posted : 01/09/2020 10:18 am

On 12/14/2019 at 2:12 PM, coolcrack said:

Hello. I had suffered from Acne all my life, and im 29, and now even though my skin is not perfect, im over it. Follow these below points and you'll be fine :

1. The main cause of acne and related issues are due to Stress, Junk foods, poor lifestyle.

2. Before starting any treatments for acne, remove all negative thoughts, believe you can heal it.

3. Maintain a good diet, remove all junk foods, soft drinks, have lots of water, fruits, vegetables. Always try to have freshly cooked food. Excercise, sweat, everyday.

3. Read good self help books, listen to people who are successfull - through youtube - learn about their struggles in life. Keep away from people who put you down in life.

4. If you do all these things, half the battle is won with Acne. I have done it.

5. Now, find the best dermatologist near you, talk to him, discuss your problem, and just follow his advice.

6. Keep your hands always clean with a good handwash, its very important, keep a good face wash and a kerchiefwith you always, and keep your face neat and clean.

7. Practice meditation, keep trying, always believe u will succeed, dont listen to people who tell you - you cant do anything. Coz they are the losers.. Not you!

If you need any help, contact me.. I have used almost all medications, treatments and everything... I know this..

Very insightful. I'm hoping my current facecare will overcome my problems. Otherwise will have to see a derma.

On 12/27/2019 at 11:15 PM, slide. said:

Your skin is not bad at all. It's all about perspective. Mine was much worse. I ended up going on Accutane and spent thousands on acne scar treatments (still currently doing so).

I will say be consistent with a skin care routine. Cleanser, moisturizer and sunscreen are a must. My doc recommended Cerave for me; it is very cheap and worked great for me...everyone is different though. Look into a retinol at night for skin cell turnover. Diet is just as important, you want to avoid the foods that will trigger your acne.

My skin is baddish. Despite my age, I also have crap hair(losing hair on the crown), graying hair on the sides. Have agap between my teeth. And my eyes are slightly crossed. Not by much but combining all these together makes me feel hideous. My smile is soul destroying!!

My face by far pisses me off the most so I'm trying to fix that.

Regarding Cerave-I'll read up on this. The winter chill appears to be screwing up my skin again.

On 12/24/2019 at 1:14 PM, GoodItem said:

Of course, no problem at all. And Im so glad to hear that moisturizer has helped.

This BHA (betaine salicylate)chemical exfoliator seems to be a little over your budget but I can recommend it because Ive tried it. Its free of siliconesbut its kind of blurring, like magic. Honestly, I can say my skin has benefitted so much from this.

So if this product is something you want to try, I would suggest cleansing first, (I apply the productwith cotton pads,) and letting it dry for about 20-30 minutes; (dont wash it off, but you may prefer to dampen your face _just a little_to prep.for your moisturizer.)

I use this like 2times a week, (evenings,) so you can get an idea how to incorporate it in your routine.It takes a bit to see real changes but the results were there for me eventuallyso I hope this helps.

https://beautybarn.in/product/bha-blackhead-power-liquid/
https://daisyskinfix.com/collections/cosrx/products/cosrx-bha-blackhead-power-liquid

These two links are the same product, just two different vendors.

This is something I found that isnt an exfoliator and its from India. Cosrxis a Korean brand so Im also needing to spend a little more on that.

Anyway. This seems to be some sort of repair serum. Of course Ive never tried it so I cant vouch for this or anything, but all the ingredients seem to bepretty good and non-invasive. It seems like its really hydrating.

https://drsheths.in/collections/all/products/cica-ceramide-repair-serum

Have a good day too!

Hello again!!

Acne seems to be flaring up again. Winter drying to blame probably. And the sweets.

I don't use any serums currently so maybe I'll look into it. There are so many products out there. Looking to see what works the best is unfortunately a costly solution.

Perhaps I'll have to go to the derma finally.

MemberMember
(@dodgerguy)

Posted : 01/10/2020 10:53 pm

Always a good thing to go see a dermatologist for skin issues. Ask about using a retinoid like Retin-A 0.05% and adapalene 0.3%. You can get adapalene over the counter at 0.1% (Differin) if you can't afford prescription.They both help with acne and can possibly help with scars as well. Maintain a well-balanced diet with lots of vegetables every day and maybe avoid dairy products for a while to see if that's one of the reasons for your inflammation and acne. Good vitamin supplements to take every day are Vitamin C and Zinc.