Notifications
Clear all

How bad is my scarring? What treatments might help?

MemberMember
(@spagdogg)

Posted : 10/19/2019 3:17 pm

Hello all,

I had pretty bad acne that wasn't treated throughout high school and into college. I'm now in my early thirties. I've struggled with self esteem over acne for so long and now I've been constantly worried about scarring for so long that I'd like to ask for an objective appraisal of my scarring. I'd also like to ask, based on that, what treatments might be appropriate to improve my complexion.  I'm finally at a point in my life where I could think about paying for some kind of treatment.  Based on my initial research, I'm interested in possibly getting microneedling professionally done. Do I look like someone who could benefit from microneedling or would I be better off thinking about something else? Thanks for any advice or information any of you can give!

IMG_3376.JPG

IMG_3378.JPG

MemberMember
(@dazzed)

Posted : 10/19/2019 11:21 pm

It's not bad at all. Perhaps the lighting is forgiving, but I do not see any major scarring. You have larger pores and some ice pick scars, but nothing that registers as bad scarring.

MemberMember
(@anish004)

Posted : 10/20/2019 12:29 am

you dont have any scars....those skin irregularities are present in everyone skin

dont be sad about those

hlp334 liked
MemberMember
(@atrophica)

Posted : 10/20/2019 2:44 am

Thats basically nothing bro

youre lucky

you could try needling if u want

MemberMember
(@spagdogg)

Posted : 10/20/2019 9:31 am

Thanks for the replies. I believe that the pictures I posted originally didn't have the right lighting, so I'm adding pictures with different lighting that may make what I'm talking about more clear. Does the scarring look more obvious in these pictures? I know that i have rolling scars and shallow boxcars at least across a wide area, along with some ice picks and a couple bigger scars that are more depressed, but I'm having a difficult time getting pictures that capture the widespread rolling and boxcar scars that I'm most concerned about, and the longer I look at these pictures the harder it is to tell.

I'm not looking for perfection at all,  but my thought process is that if microneedling can improve the widespread rolling scars and shallow boxcars a decent amount then I'd be able to live with a couple deeper scars and a handful of ice picks.

In any case if anyone could let me know if the scarring is at least somewhat more visible in the second batch of pictures I would greatly appreciate it, and any other comments are appreciated as well. Thanks again!

IMG_0634.JPG

IMG_0629.JPG

IMG_0637.JPG

IMG_0638.JPG

MemberMember
(@atrophica)

Posted : 10/20/2019 10:32 am

At least one scar could benefit from subcision, the others seem more textural - hence easy and not at all obvious.
You really have to look closer and look for the scars to be apparent, for most of us here, our scars are obvious from a distance.
In my eyes you have normal skin. You have pretty normal pigmentation so i wouldnt worry about them much.

Kay24 liked
MemberMember
(@kay24)

Posted : 10/20/2019 10:52 am

Your scars are minor. I have widespread, shallow rolling and boxcar. Hard to capture on camera. I've started Genius RF treatment. I've done one treatment and have seen about a 25-30% improvement. I wasn't expecting it, probably because of my experience with regular needling and my concern that my scars would be too shallow for RF to be effective.

I did 6 sessions of standard microneedling about a year before starting Genius rf. I figured because it's shallow it would be helpful. After the 6th session I'd say I saw a 5-10% improvement cumulatively. Absolutely not worth it. The surgeon I see now sees standard microneedling as more of a method of upkeep than initial scar treatment. I recommend Infini or Genius RF. It will likely help with what you're looking for in a treatment. The shallow textural scars should be responsive in some manner.

MemberMember
(@kman101)

Posted : 10/20/2019 3:50 pm

Too minor to treat, do nothing. Any attempted treatment not worth the risk as very little benefit to be gained from such a good starting point.

MemberMember
(@joeysk)

Posted : 10/20/2019 4:20 pm

you need to take pictures in florescent overhead lighting or angled lighting. We can't see what you are talking about.

MemberMember
(@hlp334)

Posted : 10/20/2019 4:31 pm

I only see one indentation and it doesnt look jagged so I dont think most people would even register it as an acne scar, just skin irregularities that are normal/accepted in men.I know for rf microneedling you should subsicebefore doing it because otherwise it could become more tethered. I would PM beautifulambition on here to get their opinion/treatment plan as a lot of us here do and they haveway more expertise and givein depth explanations. Like others have said, its so minor that if youre going to do treatment try and research and have the best plan in place that makes sense.

MemberMember
(@dodgerguy)

Posted : 10/21/2019 12:33 am

You have fairly good skin. I don't think it's wise to do any harsh treatments that can make any scars more noticeable. I'd say develop a good skincare routine if you want to lighten up some hyperpigmentation.

MemberMember
(@icepick-scar)

Posted : 10/21/2019 6:15 am

Your acne scars are unnoticable, leave this forum and enjoy your life, even Adam Levine has acne scars.