Notifications
Clear all

Getting Rid of Adult Acne - Science Based Treatment

MemberMember
(@halls2)

Posted : 10/15/2019 8:17 am

I'm a male in his late 20's, acne seem to got worse after starting 20s, tried different solutions here's what I found based on my own experience and extensively researching this topic.

Not all acne is the same, what works for one might not work for another.

There are 2 ways of lessening your acne:

1. External

2. Internal

1. External:

Creams, tee tree oil, benzoyl peroxide, prescription drugs etc.

This can only mask your symptoms, the process of sebum production and clogging of your pores will still happen because the stuff is coming from inside of you. If you're using drugs they might help a bit more but as soon as you stop it'll come back. So applying any external solutions won't fix your acne permanently, you need to fix the core problem and not the symptom.

2. Internal

• Drugs: accutane/ isotretinoin: probably the worst solution, it will help to clear your acne but as soon as you stop taking it will come back sooner or later, unless you're willing to continue taking it over and over again it's not a good solution (you already know the negative side effects can be bad, but check out some of the youtube videos, if you would rather risk going blind to treat your acne then it's up to you).
  • Supplements: I tried a lot of them, tried taking relatively large doses of various vitamins (high doses of vitamin A as well) and minerals individually and combinations, amino acids, 15-20 types of herbs, not taking anything, result is always the same almost no improvement. As far as various oils go omega3/6/9 tried most oils, most of them break me out more.
  • Food: now this is where things get interesting, from all the research I've done I'm 99% sure one can treat their acne by consuming the right food, here's what I'll be trying to see if there's any difference in acne:

1. Not eating any meet, for carbs eating only lentils and buckwheat groat, not eating any wheat, getting fats only by eating nuts and seeds (no oils even for cooking), since I started eating carrots noticed an improvement in my skin starting today I'll be eating carrots 3 times a day a total of 200g (100g raw, 100g cooked). Surprisingly consuming retinol vitamin A did nothing, but getting vitamin A naturally from carrots in beta carotene form seems to be helping.

Here's how my diet looks today:

Red lentils-100g or Buckwheat groat-100g, Curd-180g (0.5%fat) , Broccoli-150g, Carrots-200g, x1 Green bell pepper, Seeds (sunflower, pumpkin)-100g, Nuts (Almonds, Pistachios, Walnuts, Brazilian Nuts)-100g.

All of the above covers most of the daily minimum required vitamins and minerals (useful site to track this cronometer.com) except for vitamin B12 and vitamin D which I'm taking as supplements, also taking small amounts of zinc, magnesium, calcium and high amounts of vitamin C + antioxidant supplement.

2. If the above diet doesn't work after 2months I'll switch to eliminating ALL fats from my diet that includes all nuts/seeds and stop eating curd (dairy) as well.

3. If that doesn't work then I'll start doing strict keto and see if going into ketosis helps.

Will be updating my journey every other week. If you're reading this try eating a lot of carrots it seems the only thing that worked so far.

Eric98 liked
MemberMember
(@hlp334)

Posted : 10/15/2019 10:38 am

I noticed a link between breakouts & what I ate/digestive issues too. I would look into digestive enzymes, spore probiotics, and maybe testing your blood sugar levels.

MemberMember
(@halls2)

Posted : 10/16/2019 3:40 am

Blood sugar is normal, will have to look into those other 2, at this point I'm down for trying anything.

MemberMember
(@halls2)

Posted : 10/21/2019 4:54 am

So far seeing good improvement.

MemberMember
(@halls2)

Posted : 10/29/2019 5:16 am

After 2 weeks not seeing any big improvements, will be switching to the second plan "eliminating ALL fats from my diet that includes all nuts/seeds and stop eating curd (dairy) as well." Not sure how long I'll last on this diet as not only there's no fat but protein as well, just want to see if even good type of slow carbs are causing this, I'm still 95% sure that it has to do with carb/protein/fat imbalances.

MemberMember
(@halls2)

Posted : 11/09/2019 5:53 am

Can't see any major changes, however not ready to go on a keto diet right now, will try 2 other things first:

1. I remember reading an old research study where the treatment was copper and a bit of chromium, can't seem to find the resource and check out what proportions were used, but I'll just take 1 tablet of 500% DV copper, and a small amount of chromium.

2. Essential oils research

showing that lemongrass essential oil is helpful in fighting all strains of acne, I mixed up 8 drops of that oil with my regular face-cream but it's a bit too much, will mix only a few drops next time and let's see if it working, will report results in a few weeks.

If anyone is going to try any of the above methods note: that chromium could be toxic and possibly damage DNR, the amount of chromium in regular supplements are x20-x100 of that what you would get eating normal food, so taking 1/10 of the tablet is equivalent of what you would get consuming chromium rich food.

After applying any citrus based essential oils on skin be careful going out in sun

MemberMember
(@halls2)

Posted : 11/25/2019 5:03 am

The oil seems to help, but not as much as I'd like, so I'm going on a keto diet, bought ketone urine test strips so I can track when I'll get into ketosis and what's the maximum amount of carbs I can consume daily without going out of ketosis. Started yesterday, consumed 15g-20g of carbs, main diet consists of a lot of veggies, 300g~ of meats of various kinds, x2 eggs / 100g of curd cheese 22% fat, 30g-40g of seeds, 2 handfuls of mushrooms and mostly Olive oil, a bit of Walnut oil, Hempseed oil, Grapeseed oil.

I'll stick with this diet for a whole month and report results here.

MemberMember
(@halls2)

Posted : 11/26/2019 7:16 am

Took 2.5 days to get into Ketosis, the first 2 days were exhaustive, but now feeling more energized than ever.

MemberMember
(@halls2)

Posted : 12/08/2019 11:41 am

Couldn't stay in ketosis, was feeling like shit all the time and quit after 4 days.

MemberMember
(@halls2)

Posted : 08/18/2020 5:08 am

Did a blood test and apparently I have vitamin B12 - 30% over the limit, B6 and zinc almost x2 over the limit. So that could be the reason for the severity of acne, right now I'm limiting food that contain B6 and B12. Will update in a few months.

MemberMember
(@mommierenee)

Posted : 09/02/2020 3:56 pm

On 8/18/2020 at 6:08 AM, Halls2 said:

Did a blood test and apparently I have vitamin B12 - 30% over the limit, B6 and zinc almost x2 over the limit. So that could be the reason for the severity of acne, right now I'm limiting food that contain B6 and B12. Will update in a few months.

Can you give me more info on the blood test? Was this done at your primary doctor or was it ordered by a dermatologist. I want to talk with my doctor to check my labs to see if theres any correlation between my results and my recent breakout. Im just not sure what to ask for really as many doctors dont do this for acne patients from what i can tell.

MemberMember
(@lizzieswellness)

Posted : 05/23/2022 8:35 am

Thank you for this!