Notifications
Clear all

Mature Scars, Iontophoresis

MemberMember
(@skinbattle)

Posted : 10/01/2019 2:49 am

Hello everyone,

My first post. I am mature, having suffered severe cystic Acne as a teen 30 years ago. I have been left with not too-deep but noticeable rolling atrophic scars on my cheeks, frontal chin and upper area of the neck near the ears.

The treatment over the years:first, in my 20's (my skin now wrecked with scars due to an uncaring Doctor) I got a new Doctor andtried oral Accutane - it stopped the Acne in its tracks for good, but was started too late to stop the scars I alreadydeveloped.

Later, still in my 20's I had one session of Dermabrasion for the existing scarring. It did help immensely.

To bring things up-to-date then, I have just tried to 'manage' and get by with the scars I had left, for nearly 30 years now. But curiously found the albeit much-improved scars are really starting to depress me again. I don't know why, perhaps the dreaded Mid-Life Crisis ? LoL

I recently asked my somewhat startledGP to allow me to try daily topical Adapalene (1%)

3 months in, the effect on my skin from Adapalene 1% applied at night) has been remarkable, in making the pores almost disappear, in fact a young keen-eyed skin therapist I visit each month can't comprehend the shrinkage of facial pores and general improvement in skin tone. It has even 'lifted' my age-related eyelid droop (I apply the Adapalene VERY thinlyover the entire facial area, hairline to lower neck).

I have also started home-Iontophoresis using a facial mask wetted with Tretinoin gel and raw Estriol (I am prescribed Estradiol HRT too, but this does not supply Estriol so I sourced raw compound). I am only a few days in to the Iontophoresis addition and hope to share the mixture strength if all goes well after 90 days. I am using 20 volts on DC current at the Negative terminal to draw the compounds into my skin (and hopefully, into the normally medication-imperviousscars).

Bit of a Lab Rat? I hope not. Keen to share my experience if there is any interest.

Thank you for a wonderfully informative Website.

MemberMember
(@skinbattle)

Posted : 11/01/2019 4:59 am

1 month on a small update

The scars on my neck, those under the jawlinenear the ears, they didn't just look unsightly, the bits of lighter-colour scar tissueused to 'feel' hard and lumpy to my fingertips. I am delighted to report that at this stage they no longer feel lumpy, but unusually soft, soft like I can't remember feeling, its been soooolong I had these damned scars. I am very happy with the progress of this method. This isn't just softer moisture-rich skin (a well-known result of Estriol) hiding the scars I am sure. The scars, are actually softening fast.

I do get some skin dryness now, possibly due to the iontophoresis process halting sweat glands from contributing to the skin moisturising. I have increased the application of oil-free moisturisers, which applied after the process, cause no issues. I am also reducing the frequency of skin exfoliation to every 3rd day, now just washing and removing old oils/moisturisers with ultra gentle skin wash without a scrub and a light pat-dry.

My whole circle of friends and family are noticing an effect, a glow and 'younger' look tbh which I can't complain about. The scars are really starting to show definite, pronounced improvement, despite this being very early days (month-1 of 3 planned).

My formula is a mix of 17b-Estradiol gel, with raw Estriol suspendedin a weak Lactic acid water solution, a small amount of salt and of course Retinol gel, all mixed together into a straw-colour watery solution that I pat onto my whole face where the galvanic pad touches. I run Direct Current from the Negative pole INTO the face, at 20 volts. I always stop halfway into each session to remove the galvanic face pad, apply more solution to the skin and to keep the galvanic sponge soaking wet with more tap water.

I never had any peeling, which surprised me. Perhaps as I 'primed' my skin by regular application of Adapalene (some of which will also be drawn deeper into the skin by the Iontophoresis process)

So, so far, so good...

MemberMember
(@dudleydoright)

Posted : 11/02/2019 6:37 am

You probably will not get many responses to your post since almost everybody on here is younger. I followed a similar path as you with dermabrasion at age 18 with little success, and then full ablative CO2 at age50 with little success. At age 62 I had my first of 5 Fractional Ablative CO2 Fraxel Repair, and saw my first real success. My last Repair was in 2011 so I am woefully behind on any new methods since then. I post very infrequently, and frankly much of what you speak of is beyond me, and I am no longer inclined to do any research. I had my last treatment at 64 so you still have time.

On unrelated notes I had a hair transplant in 2011 and another in 2018 with great success, and those are real ego boosters. I am now toying with the idea of Plastic Surgery with Dr. Alejandro Lev in Costa Rica, but I have to lose weight first.

MemberMember
(@skinbattle)

Posted : 11/02/2019 11:38 am

Thanks for the reply Dudley, I thought that a process that looks like it works on old scars, would be all the more certain to work on 'fresh' recently developedscars. I'll post the info regardless, as I hopefully, fix these scars in record time. Time is what few of us ever really have.

MemberMember
(@dudleydoright)

Posted : 11/03/2019 8:47 am

20 hours ago, SkinBattle said:

Thanks for the reply Dudley, I thought that a process that looks like it works on old scars, would be all the more certain to work on 'fresh' recently developedscars. I'll post the info regardless, as I hopefully, fix these scars in record time. Time is what few of us ever really have.

My best response to your post would be the results from 2 non-acne scars that all but disappeared after my first Fraxel Repair in 2008. Those 2 scars were my indication that the laser had worked. On general acne scarring the improvement was too subtle for me to be able to point to results. It was only after subsequent procedures that the subtle results where more obvious. I know of Very, Very few people who ever followed the protocol I used. Most do not know the difference between Ablative and non-ablative laser. They will call all lasers Fraxel and that is like calling every car a Chevy. I NEVER advocated non-ablative lasers. Since 2011 I have not kept up with technology so something better may well have been developed.

MemberMember
(@merigold)

Posted : 11/03/2019 6:13 pm

You both may already know this, but due to facial volume loss that occurs as we get older, scars begin to appear worse as we age. So it makes sense that you, Skinbattle, started to feel more bothered by your scars as you got older! I have never heard ofIontophoresis, and it is interesting hearing about your experience.

Duldey, I'm glad fraxel re:pair worked for you! What kind of scars did you have?

If you become more interested in more treatments, my advice before you purchase something is to educate yourself as much as possible. I did not and have wasted $ in the process.Dr Lim has excellent videos on scar types and their treatments on youtube. These videos can also be found in the pinned scar treatment thread. The type of treatement you need really depends on your scar type. What works for one person, may not work for you.

I had cystic acne in my 20s. I didn't do anything to address my scarring (other than Rx strength nightly retin a) until my early 30s I had 3 rounds of fraxel dual. It was a complete waste of time, pain and money!!! I have rolling and boxcar scars types.

Now pushing 40, Ive tried subcision,+ prp along with rf microneedling. These treatments seem to work much better, but I'm mid treatment plan and looking forward to my skin improving even more

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 11/06/2019 12:11 pm

On 10/1/2019 at 9:49 AM, SkinBattle said:

Hello everyone,

My first post. I am mature, having suffered severe cystic Acne as a teen 30 years ago. I have been left with not too-deep but noticeable rolling atrophic scars on my cheeks, frontal chin and upper area of the neck near the ears.

The treatment over the years:first, in my 20's (my skin now wrecked with scars due to an uncaring Doctor) I got a new Doctor andtried oral Accutane - it stopped the Acne in its tracks for good, but was started too late to stop the scars I alreadydeveloped.

Later, still in my 20's I had one session of Dermabrasion for the existing scarring. It did help immensely.

To bring things up-to-date then, I have just tried to 'manage' and get by with the scars I had left, for nearly 30 years now. But curiously found the albeit much-improved scars are really starting to depress me again. I don't know why, perhaps the dreaded Mid-Life Crisis ? LoL

I recently asked my somewhat startledGP to allow me to try daily topical Adapalene (1%)

3 months in, the effect on my skin from Adapalene 1% applied at night) has been remarkable, in making the pores almost disappear, in fact a young keen-eyed skin therapist I visit each month can't comprehend the shrinkage of facial pores and general improvement in skin tone. It has even 'lifted' my age-related eyelid droop (I apply the Adapalene VERY thinlyover the entire facial area, hairline to lower neck).

I have also started home-Iontophoresis using a facial mask wetted with Tretinoin gel and raw Estriol (I am prescribed Estradiol HRT too, but this does not supply Estriol so I sourced raw compound). I am only a few days in to the Iontophoresis addition and hope to share the mixture strength if all goes well after 90 days. I am using 20 volts on DC current at the Negative terminal to draw the compounds into my skin (and hopefully, into the normally medication-imperviousscars).

Bit of a Lab Rat? I hope not. Keen to share my experience if there is any interest.

Thank you for a wonderfully informative Website.

Hi,

good luck on your journey to improving your scars! 🙂

Pls, keep us updated as to how the home-iontophoresis treatment goes. I have heard of this device, it's used in France in cosmetic salons to apply topicals to a greater depth, for better penetration.