Notifications
Clear all

How much of acne scarring is genetic?

MemberMember
(@kitsliv45)

Posted : 09/14/2019 11:37 am

I have heard some say that it's not genetic and others say that it is. This is only anecdotal, but severalpeople in my family have acne scarring, which makes me think that genetics plays a big part. I've never had cystic acne and don'tpick or pop my acne. I still get acne scarring 80% of the time. I just don't understand it...

MemberMember
(@ptaa)

Posted : 09/14/2019 12:45 pm

Pitted scarring or redness? I don't think it's necessarily whether it's cystic or not that affects the scarring. I think it's just a function of how much inflammation there is and how sensitive the affected skin is. Though I suppose cystic acne usually is more inflamed. I have parts of my face that are much more prone to scarring. My forehead can have the most severe pimple ever, but still have no pitted scarring, while my cheeks near the nose can get slight pitting from minor pimples. I would say it's a combination of genetics and current skin health. But it can be argued that skin health is largely determined by genetics. So yeah, probably mostly genetics.

MemberMember
(@wobbywob)

Posted : 09/14/2019 9:19 pm

I bet there's lots of people out there that 'scar' easily but they never get or had have a to deal with severe acne. My ex female friend or ex, for example just broke out severely and I can already tells she's going to scar. Prior, she had perfect skin till 22. I feel bad and I never go to suggest her to go on accutane. :/ I hope she figures it out. 

MemberMember
(@shei514)

Posted : 09/15/2019 12:31 am

I would say its linked to the duration of acne. I have had acne on and off for ten years, have severe scarring. I got on accutane way too late, the damage had already been done. Partly genetics too, some people heal poorly.

MemberMember
(@freshman)

Posted : 09/15/2019 3:17 am

I think it's genetic too. And it doesn't have to be inflamed acne that produces the scarring. Virtually all of my ice pick scars are from blackheads, or at least I think so, because they appeared in places where I never had any kind of acne, let alone severe acne. Ice pick scarring is the worst in that way.

MemberMember
(@daelz7)

Posted : 09/15/2019 11:09 am

10 hours ago, shei514 said:

I would say its linked to the duration of acne. I have had acne on and off for ten years, have severe scarring. I got on accutane way too late, the damage had already been done. Partly genetics too, some people heal poorly.

yeah same here, i had it for too long without any intervention , EARLY intervention is KEY. it should be taken seriously.. my parents didnt take it srsly unfortunately , nor did I in a sense. Anyhow I would say that genetics do have some influence, specially if you heal poorly.

Kay24 liked