Notifications
Clear all

Identification and Treatment of Redness

MemberMember
(@scarface2019)

Posted : 08/28/2019 2:18 pm

Hey guys I'm 20 pushing 21 and I've had acne since I was about 15 and I'm ready to get this nonsense taken care of because I am attempting to start in my profession in a few years and I don't want to look like I'm 14. My daily routine involves a shower first thing in the morning with fresh towels using only cetaphil soap. At nights I will apply some 2.5 percent Benzyl Peroxide with Clindamycin Phosphate on new acne. I formerly attempted to use generic trentinoin for scarring and really aggravated my acne last winter (last summer I also did a few salycidic acid peels and that also really aggravated things) and backed off to just my current routine and I've seen a great improvement in my skin (as far as active acne goes) even though it is still quite bad. I'm trying to figure out what to do from here on out because I know of other acids and such but I'm afraid to make the wrong move and make things worse. 

Here's what I am dealing with right now. I might add in a pic of what my skin looked like in December for better reference.

Any advice is appreciated and will be noted and researched..

IMG_1287.JPG.7c4b05cd785bca8aef39419008ff4568.JPGIMG_1291.PNG.fed4ff2cb51e941cf3bcf8573ec027e5.PNG

The pictures are with an iPhone front facing camera with flash on so this is about as bad looking as my face gets but still. Any suggestions will be noted and I'll be happy to answer and further questions.

MemberMember
(@lavenderhummingbird)

Posted : 09/03/2019 1:13 pm

Hey @Scarface2019, I'm your age and have some lingering acne too. I've noticed that mine is tied to what I eat a lot of times - for me, mostly when I eat dairy. I've heard of other people having problems with dairy too along with other foods like gluten and sugar-rich foods. Have you tried changing what you eat at all to see if it helps? It's not the easiest thing to start but in the long run, I think it's worth it. I'm a fan of Cetaphil and other gentle treatments and some of the stuff I've tried from the dermatologist has just further irritated my skin, like you said the tretinoin did. I also use a gentle exfoliation sponge once a week or so which helps to get rid of dead skin and junk on the surface that can clog pores. Just some ideas, hope one or two of them can be helpful for you!

Also, just wanted to add in that your username sounds pretty awesome even if it's true of your skin ;P I don't think your skin really looks that bad, anyhow. I think we definitely notice more imperfections in our own skin than anyone else does! (and harsh lighting certainly doesn't help self-esteem) Good luck with everything!

MemberMember
(@scarface2019)

Posted : 09/23/2019 10:33 pm

Been a minute since I checked this. Yeah for other medical reasons It's a necessity for me to eat dairy as it's rich in calories. I need to eat the calories of a bodybuilder to maintain my regular weight (its a curse trust me). Anyways, most of that response was feel good. which I can appreciate but it's not really what I'm looking for. Anyone else have any advice or similar skin issues? Also part in parcel with that nutrition problem is the fact that I'm almost always on antibiotics, which can cause a whole host of problems and I think that's what has caused this in the first place but I'm not sure how to combat that.

MemberMember
(@scarface2019)

Posted : 09/20/2020 9:27 pm

Bump

Member Admin
(@dan)

Posted : 09/22/2020 1:10 pm

Hi @Scarface2019

I strongly share your concern about being on antibiotics long term. Never accept long-term antibiotic use at face value. Make sure you get a second opinion, and be your own advocate.

My best advice is to follow the regimen. Have you tried it yet? Your skin is the exact type of skin that should respond quickly and fully.