Notifications
Clear all

Almost 50 & need advice w/2nd time on accutane

MemberMember
(@kab49)

Posted : 08/11/2019 7:32 pm

As a teen I had decentskin.Reached mid 30s and went thru a stressful life event and got severe cystic acne. Had hormonal flare ups from time to time. Tried antibiotics, topicals, and finally accutane. It finally cleared but Im not sure if it was from the accutane orthe birth control or maybe both.

Now imalmost 50 (perimenopausal) and its back with a vengeance! Just onmy checks/forehead. Ill try and include a pic.Ive been taking 50 mg of spironolactone twice a day for about 2 months and havent noticedany improvement in my acne but my cycle is all messed up.I just saw a new dermatologist and she recommended accutane again and continuing the spiro too. I thought Idgive it a try(as teenage daughter finally seeing results onaccurate now). After some research and thought,Im worried about taking the birth control pillat my age. Also accutane is so drying and Im already taking eye drops for dry eye. My skin isnt really oily and my hair is more onthe dry side and thinning anyway. Imfeeling a bit down and frustrated as it doesnt seem like women at my age have acne to thisextreme. So please weigh in.

One thing Ishould note is the derm did do a few cortisone injections on my cheeks and said she was going to culture one due to all the fluid. This was last THR so no word yet.Any advice would be greatly appreciated.I probablyneed to make a decision soonabout the accutane & birth controlas everything is so timely now and I just did the first required pregnancy test for accutane. Thank you in advance for any advice.

MemberMember
(@username110)

Posted : 08/14/2019 6:48 am

can i ask, other than doctors pills, have you tried anything else? like removing things from your diet? ( cows milk) or trying vitamins? etc

MemberMember
(@kab49)

Posted : 08/14/2019 3:21 pm

I take a probiotic, theracurmin, a multi vitamin and recently been trying Vital Proteins Collagen Peptides powder. I do try and steer clear of dairy other than a little creamer in my morning coffee and that does seem to help some.