Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kab49

Almost 50 & need advice w/2nd time on accutane

As a teen I had decent skin. Reached mid 30’s and went thru a stressful life event and got severe cystic acne.  Had hormonal flare ups from time to time. Tried antibiotics, topicals, and finally accutane.  It finally cleared but I’m not sure if it was from the accutane or the birth control or maybe both.  

Now i’m almost 50 (perimenopausal) and it’s back with a vengeance! Just on  my checks/forehead. I’ll try and include a pic. I’ve been taking 50 mg of spironolactone twice a day for about 2 months and haven’t noticed any improvement in my acne but my cycle is all messed up. I just saw a new dermatologist and she recommended accutane again and continuing the spiro too.  I thought I’d give it a try (as teenage daughter finally seeing results on accurate now). After some research and thought, I’m worried about taking the birth control pill at my age.  Also accutane is so drying and I’m already taking eye drops for dry eye.  My skin isn’t really oily and my hair is more on the dry side and thinning anyway. I’m feeling a bit down and frustrated as it doesn’t seem like women at my age have acne to this extreme. So please weigh in.

One thing I should note is the derm did do a few cortisone injections on my cheeks and said she was going to culture one due to all the fluid. This was last THR so no word yet. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I probably need to make a decision soon about the accutane & birth control as everything is so timely now and I just did the first required pregnancy test for accutane. Thank you in advance for any advice. 

Edited by kab49

can i ask, other than doctors pills, have you tried anything else? like removing things from your diet? ( cows milk) or trying vitamins? etc

I take a probiotic, theracurmin, a multi vitamin and recently been trying Vital Proteins Collagen Peptides powder.  I do try and steer clear of dairy other than a little creamer in my morning coffee and that does seem to help some.

Edited by kab49