Notifications
Clear all

Why does PCOS-related acne come in cycles?

MemberMember
(@prettyinside)

Posted : 08/08/2019 1:55 pm

Could someone explain why PCOS-related cystic acne comes in cycles? I always go 1 - 1.5 years with more minor cystic eruptions, then,*BAM!*I'm hit with a 4-to-6-month-long wave of cystic acne that has been leaving behind scars (yes, real scars, not just hyperpigmentation).

My free and total testosterone levels were normal, while my DHEA-S showed as higher than normal--which makes my endocrinologist suspect PCOS. He said that acnecaused by PCOS tends to cycle for people. I didn't askwhy at the time, so I'm left wondering why DHEA-S--or any androgen, for that matter--causes acne to occur in cycles?

I tookthe Pill for 18 years before stopping it due to other health concerns; now, my cystic acne is causing scarringthat I avoided while onBC. My skin still went through these cystic cycles while on BC, but they were MUCHmore easily controlled by simply cutting out sugar. (Dairy's always been a no-no, except for butter when I'm not in cystic mode.)

Now, my cysticeruptions come not only from sugar, butgluten, nearly all grains, starches, various oils (even healthy ones, like avocado and the fruit, itself), eggs, butter, etc. So when a cystic breakout period starts, my diet whittles down to fruits (minus citrus and avocado), vegetables(minus starches--e.g., potatoes), 2 types of grains (steel-cut oats and brown rice) and meat (more chicken than not).

NOTE: I'm not a good candidate for Accutane and likely not Spironolactone or Metformin, either, based on current health issues--otherwise, I'd have tried something else by now, out of sheer desperation.

MemberMember
(@prettyinside)

Posted : 08/11/2019 3:25 pm

I'm guessing that people's silence means that no one knows why PCOS-related acne comes in cycles, rather than remaining a constant. (Don't get me wrong; I'mnotcomplaining thathormonal, cystic acne isn't a 24/7 issue in my life. LOL I just am confused as to why it affects me for 4 - 6 months at a time, then goes dormant for roughly a year, sometimes as long as 1.5 years.)

MemberMember
(@jck17)

Posted : 08/24/2019 12:05 pm

I wouldn't be so dogmatic with the belief of food causing acne. Most likely most of the foods you mentioned are not triggering your acne (besides high GI ones and maybe dairy) but maybe you just happen to have acne and you randomly break out from hormonal reasons.

PCOS acne comes in cycles because hormones work in the same way.

As we get older, hormone levels change and your body adapts to them accordingly.

When we have PCOS it can be worse as we have already a hormone imbalance so any natural hormone shift (like in pregnancy or just age related) can trigger or worsen your symptoms.

I also have high DHEA-s levels by he way xD