Jump to content
Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
infamousboo95

Help with my scarring?

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Hello forum, It's been years since my last post on this awesome forum. My last time here was In 2013 when I was having weird side effects on my second course of Accutane entailing thinning of my hair. Overall, after my second course of Isotretinoin I had the best skin of my life and I was in remission for 5 years and ironically my hair is now as thick as it pre-Accutane! Fast forward six years my skin and hair feel oily again and my Acne has began to come back mildly, but enough to be very inflamed and some leave some scarring I believe. I'm 24 now and I believe the reason I'm scarring more now is because of my age as I feel as if every pimple leaves some sort of damage. I am currently on antibiotics ( cefuroxime) to control my acne while I try to cure my acne naturally by cutting out dairy and other diet adjustments. Furthermore, I'm considering getting some cosmetic work done at a clinic with a doctor/specialist who thinks a combination of subcision and Infini RF would best suit me for my scarring. How bad do you guys think it is, shallow? Deep? Should I consider this treatment or something else? It's the worst feeling to get acne again at 24 thinking you're cured due to five years of being acne free! Thank you so much any suggestions are greatly appreciated!!

IMG_0348.jpg

IMG_0431.jpg

luke scar2.jpg

luke scars.jpg

Edited by infamousboo95

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@infamousboo95 Your scars are very mild. Textural box cars. Some PIE redness, and some rolling scars.

As you have ethnic skin, goto someone who is familiar with your skin type and treats lots of cases like yours. You can ask for pictures. 

Many with scars like yours would start with dermatamping on the scars, especially the scar borders, and alternating with glycolic peels. You can use a retinoid nightly for skin turnover.

Sounds like your all set with the Dr, I do think you need subcision and rf needling, but I would also do Fraxel 1927nm on you or some low density co2. 

Because you have ethnic skin picosure, or picoway is a option, or qswitch as well. Speak to your Dr if they have the lasers and the experience to do this. Subcision takes many treatments and I would start here. Manual methods walkaways first. To prevent re-tethering do Chinese Cupping (amazon) for a month after you sub - this is done daily. 

Get the acne under control or you will continue to chase new scars. 

* Nightly before and after treatments until the issue is taken care of:

Use nightly: Retin-a or tretinorin(prescription), or Differin (Target/Walmart), The Ordinary Granactive Retinoid (if you can't get the above) or Avene or Osmosis (I am not a big fan of their other products) "Retinaldehyde" product (for sensitive skin). Cureology(USA) & Yoderm(USA) provide monthly - online prescriptions with customized skin care creams for your concerns, those in UK Dermatica provides the same thing. Apply a moisturizer when your face is dripping wet. Wait 5 minutes for it to dry, and then apply the tretinoin. This cuts down on irritation, you can also skip days of application (or do one or two days a week) if it's irritating and you need to build up %. This provides skin turnover - new collagen. To prevent (reds & browns from all Dr-treatments to ethnic skin or to work on current skin discoloration), try PCA hydroquione free gel for Hyperpigmentaion (Amazon) or Cureology/Yoderm/Dermatica includes this in their products if ordered. Using this prevents hyperpigmentation from treatments. Hydroquinone has side effects for some people, natural options  are better with ingredients like: kojic acid/Konjac, Alpha Arbutin, Niacinamide by The Ordinary is great for large pores, discoloration, and inflammation. The Ordinary, Cerave, Eucerin (QV Skincare in AUS), Dr Sam Bunting Flawless Cleanser, Avene, La Roche-Posay (sensitive), and Acne.org's products are all great options for moisturizers and cleaners without fragrance / dyes / allergens. The Three most important things one can use are: Vitamin A skin turnover (retinol, retinaldehyde, retinoid), Vitamin C Serum which makes collagen, and a sunscreen (zinc oxide physical for sensitive skin - DRMTLGY Active Sunscreen, Elta MD Physical, La Roche).


 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, beautifulambition said:

@infamousboo95 Your scars are very mild. Textural box cars. Some PIE redness, and some rolling scars.

As you have ethnic skin, goto someone who is familiar with your skin type and treats lots of cases like yours. You can ask for pictures. 

Many with scars like yours would start with dermatamping on the scars, especially the scar borders, and alternating with glycolic peels. You can use a retinoid nightly for skin turnover.

Sounds like your all set with the Dr, I do think you need subcision and rf needling, but I would also do Fraxel 1927nm on you or some low density co2. 

Because you have ethnic skin picosure, or picoway is a option, or qswitch as well. Speak to your Dr if they have the lasers and the experience to do this. Subcision takes many treatments and I would start here. Manual methods walkaways first. To prevent re-tethering do Chinese Cupping (amazon) for a month after you sub - this is done daily. 

Get the acne under control or you will continue to chase new scars. 

* Nightly before and after treatments until the issue is taken care of:

Use nightly: Retin-a or tretinorin(prescription), or Differin (Target/Walmart), The Ordinary Granactive Retinoid (if you can't get the above) or Avene or Osmosis (I am not a big fan of their other products) "Retinaldehyde" product (for sensitive skin). Cureology(USA) & Yoderm(USA) provide monthly - online prescriptions with customized skin care creams for your concerns, those in UK Dermatica provides the same thing. Apply a moisturizer when your face is dripping wet. Wait 5 minutes for it to dry, and then apply the tretinoin. This cuts down on irritation, you can also skip days of application (or do one or two days a week) if it's irritating and you need to build up %. This provides skin turnover - new collagen. To prevent (reds & browns from all Dr-treatments to ethnic skin or to work on current skin discoloration), try PCA hydroquione free gel for Hyperpigmentaion (Amazon) or Cureology/Yoderm/Dermatica includes this in their products if ordered. Using this prevents hyperpigmentation from treatments. Hydroquinone has side effects for some people, natural options  are better with ingredients like: kojic acid/Konjac, Alpha Arbutin, Niacinamide by The Ordinary is great for large pores, discoloration, and inflammation. The Ordinary, Cerave, Eucerin (QV Skincare in AUS), Dr Sam Bunting Flawless Cleanser, Avene, La Roche-Posay (sensitive), and Acne.org's products are all great options for moisturizers and cleaners without fragrance / dyes / allergens. The Three most important things one can use are: Vitamin A skin turnover (retinol, retinaldehyde, retinoid), Vitamin C Serum which makes collagen, and a sunscreen (zinc oxide physical for sensitive skin - DRMTLGY Active Sunscreen, Elta MD Physical, La Roche).


 

Thanks for your input and advice beautifulambition. I did get a prescription from my derm called Adapalene which I think is a form of a retinoid. I did use it for a week every-night after I moisturized, but I stopped because I was afraid of getting a bad initial breakout from it. I will likely get back on Adapalene every night then to promote skin turnover. I wash twice a day with African black soap and moisturize with Cerave non-comedogenic face lotion. Since these are considered very mild would the RF and subcision likely even the scars out? I don't know where I would go to find someone who specialized in ethnic skin but I will look in to it. I also found it odd when the specialist I went too said I would only need one treatment of the RF Infini and subcision to see results. It's difficult finding a reputable acne scar specialist I live in Minneapolis and I don't know what to exactly look for in terms of a reputable doctor. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@infamousboo95 Have over 100+ PM's of the worst scar cases to take care of by PM. Feel free to PM me there if you need, it does take me 24-hrs to respond (your lucky);-) Very welcome! 

I don't believe ""one"" treatment alone will do it, ... possibly, try and see. That is a bold statement to make and they have to be accountable for it. I would add as I put above, you may need Fraxel 1927nm laser or low density co2 for those box cars. Peels and needling you can do at home between treatments if you so wish.

Yes that is a retinoid. You will have a purging period, this is normal. You can do a day or two a week if that's all you can handle, build up.

Start with something like the PCA gel I put above to prevent hyperpigmentation form your skin type being treated, ... after you heal from the treatment start again nightly.

Lastly to find a Dr who does ethnic skin, many times they are ethnic themselves, ... sometimes not in big cities they just have experience. Ask if they do subcision, which your Dr does. For your case you may get away with a normal derm who has the lasers mentioned. RF needling is quite popular everywhere. Look at reviews on yelp.com and realself. Sadly some areas the person has to travel for treatment. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey guys I just had my first infini+ subcision+ lase md (on the tethered scars) session on August 9th. I know it takes time to see results alas collagen production etc, but I’m so impatient. Overall, how do you guys think it’s looking? I hope my results continue to get better but right now I’m not so sure. I’m also using tretinoin every night to amplify the healing of the scars. What should I do next? I bought a derma stamp but I believe I should wait at least a month to heal from the infini microneedling before using.

AFE3C080-B92D-448D-B2B8-322812DB3E24.jpeg

871C16C7-04D7-4B87-B1FD-A7BE01DAC90E.jpeg

44BDFB5E-B066-48D0-A004-FFBE6F01387B.jpeg

C0E145D9-EFEF-4A0F-8119-C03755C80DDA.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey @beautifulambition, im starting to dermastamp for the first time tonight since its been a month post infini rf, I totally forgot to ask if its fine to use tretinoin .025 alongside dermastamping since I have been applying tretinoin every night so far to improve scarring/texture and prevent future acne. Is it safe to apply tretinoin after dermastamping? Or is this not recommended and should I only dermastamp alone with vitamin c cream on the same night? Thank you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@infamousboo95 Yes it's fine to do tretinorin, ... you can do it directly after your treatments if there is no scabbing or open wounds.

No you don't want to do it at the same time as microneedling, 16-24 hrs post is fine.

Vitamin C cream same thing wait 16-24 hrs.

You will still get great results. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, beautifulambition said:

@infamousboo95 Yes it's fine to do tretinorin, ... you can do it directly after your treatments if there is no scabbing or open wounds.

No you don't want to do it at the same time as microneedling, 16-24 hrs post is fine.

Vitamin C cream same thing wait 16-24 hrs.

You will still get great results. 

Thanks for your reply @beautifulambition! It's been a month and all the scabbing is gone from the treatment. What I don't get with the banisher dermastamp is that it came with a vitamin c serum that is supposed to be applied immediately after stamping the spots for supposedly better collagen production. Also, should I only dermastamp once a week or is this too frequent?  Thank you once again. :)

Edited by infamousboo95

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, infamousboo95 said:

Thanks for your reply @beautifulambition! It's been a month and all the scabbing is gone from the treatment. What I don't get with the banisher dermastamp is that it came with a vitamin c serum that is supposed to be applied immediately after stamping the spots for supposedly better collagen production. Also, should I only dermastamp once a week or is this too frequent?  Thank you once again. :)

Once every 1-2 months. Microneedling every week will damage your skin. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok is it just me or does tretinoin make scars more visible initially? Ever since I started applying it every night I can see my scars way more noticeably then before in certain lighting. 

new scar 9:19.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey!

If you check out my forum here, I show how I was able to fix my scars a bit, which are really similar to yours. I was also on Accutane and was left with that weird, circular indents.

Basically, I tried subsicion with BellaFill. Helped a ton and i think that could be your final fix.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Lvl100Dani said:

Hey!

If you check out my forum here, I show how I was able to fix my scars a bit, which are really similar to yours. I was also on Accutane and was left with that weird, circular indents.

Basically, I tried subsicion with BellaFill. Helped a ton and i think that could be your final fix.

Congrats on your results on bellafill, I was considering getting this done with the nurse I saw who did subcision and infini on me but I don't think my scars are deep enough to warrant the use of filler. I could be wrong though as the last pics you posted did reveal good results, I have also heard mixed things about filler, maintenance etc. 

Edited by infamousboo95

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@infamousboo95 Yes it's typical to have the scars appear with a retinoid, ... your turning over the skin quickly. The dead skin is not covering the scars. You can use dermastamping monthly and alternate with glycolic peels. Your cases have nothing to do with each other, ... LV.... has mainly PIE or redness, that belongs in the hyperpigmentation sub. She had a slight rolling scar mid cheek. Nothing in common. Bellafill IS NOT used for textural or shallow scars, you would have major issue! Permanent filler = permanent problems. We have the data 7 to 10 years out. 

You need rf needling and some co2 work done.

I respond now only by PM (private message) to questions and to do a customized treatment plan for to your Acne scar. Better for privacy & confidentiality / easier maintenance of senders / less confusion / ongoing dialog / and a better use to prioritize my time to the 100's of severe acne scar cases I help a day by PM. Include any pictures or extra information you have by copy-pasting that into the message. Please be patient, everyone receives a response.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Personalized Advice Quiz - All of Acne.org in just a few minutes


×