Notifications
Clear all

Dermaroller left my skin worse

MemberMember
(@romea)

Posted : 07/21/2019 11:31 am

I have lots of atrophic acne scars on my cheeks, so I decided to try the dermaroller over a small area on my forehead where I havn't got acne scars to see how my skin reacts. I used a 1mm dermaroller. When I looked at the skin after using it, it looked like there appeared little atrophic scars on that area. Is that normal? The surface of the skin is not smooth like the rest of my forehead. I did it 4 days ago and they continue there. The dermaroller was new, I never used it before. And I didn't press hard, it didn't even hurt. Is this normal? Why did it happen? I'm grateful that I didn't use it all over my face.

MemberMember
(@beautifulambition)

Posted : 07/21/2019 6:25 pm

@RomeaHaving a hard time understanding what you mean. Are you stating that your treatment made more scars or you discovered more scars after it. This can be normal as you heal, or the skin barrier shows underlying"hidden issues." Some of the patients should not be needling they are sensitive, poor healers, who do not do well microneedling. That is anotherthing to consider. Finally, we do not microneedle anymore, it makes micro tears, we dermastamp now specifically the problem. Only treat the problem area, not the whole face.

There is sometimes a healing period in some types that are slow to heal, ... they have bumpy texture or tiny scabbing, or some scabs and just take time to heal. Use a retinoid cream nightly. You would have to see how you heal and know best or even know if this is the right treatment for your issue. If you have any concerns, see a dermatologist.

MemberMember
(@romea)

Posted : 07/30/2019 5:46 am

Thank you so much for your answer. English is not my mother lenguage so I'm sorry if I don't explain very well. Before I did the dermaroller treatment, my skin was perfect. After that, my skin looks like it has little atrophic scars, it's not smooth as before. I wanted so badly to treat the scars I have on my cheeks but after that I'm scared that my scars look even worse.

MemberMember
(@beautifulambition)

Posted : 07/30/2019 5:50 pm

@RomeaThe sensitive and those who heal poorly can have adverse effects from dermarolling. Not a good procedure for them to do on themselves. They would be better seeing a Dr for laser as this minimizes ongoing damage and inflammation that can occur and the Dr is responsible for the outcome. Some heal extremely slowly and that can be another cause. You know your skin best.

My recommendations, if your skin is perfect do nothing, and only spot treat acne scar areas, never do widespread treatments. They could not be as"smooth" as before because of the manual treatment opening up scarring that was not seen previously.

Please see a Dr experienced in acne scaring.