Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dhires1

Perioral dermatitis that won’t go away

Posted (edited)

Ive been struggling with Perioral dermatitis for the last couple of months and was put on minocycline for 2 months and i wasnt responding to it at all so my PD got worse spread to my eyes forehead and cheeks. I went to my derm again and got a new antibiotic doxycycline and although it was working for the first two weeks this week I feel like its starting to creep back up again and come back and I feel like its just a continuous cycle and don’t know what to do Ive tried everything 

Edited by Dhires1

This lotion worked almost immediately for me in terms of providing relief with the itching. The bumps themselves took around a month to go away 80%. I used it twice a day and am starting to lean off of it and use it mostly just at night now and plan to do every other day in the future and so on. From what my doctor said you shouldn’t stop it abruptly even if the bumps go away.

It comes in gel, cream, or lotion. I got prescribed lotion because I didn’t want something too oily or too drying and the lotion absorbs perfectly into my skin with no irritation.

METRONIDAZOLE 0.75% LOTION

Try and avoid overly processed snack foods like chips as well since you might be more sensitive to those causing a worse reaction right now.

Dhires

Minocycline and doxycycline can cause fungal acne and/or gram negative acne, both of which mimic (look like) perioral dermatitis. 

Spreading sounds like a fungal condition, because fungus moves across skin.

Do you have one or more of the following - dandruff, white tongue, toenail fungus, flaking skin, red rash, itchy skin, sinus problems, gut problems ??

Doctors do not know about fungal skin conditions, except tinea and ringworm.

Standard statement - I have spent over 2,500 hours reading scientific papers about fungal acne and gram negative acne, and I have extensive experience with fungal acne, in particular. I am a scientist (not a medical doctor). I provide information based on my extensive experience with fungal acne, and some experience with gram negative acne.

On 7/18/2019 at 6:35 PM, Aussie Scientist said:

Dhires

Minocycline and doxycycline can cause fungal acne and/or gram negative acne, both of which mimic (look like) perioral dermatitis. 

Spreading sounds like a fungal condition, because fungus moves across skin.

Do you have one or more of the following - dandruff, white tongue, toenail fungus, flaking skin, red rash, itchy skin, sinus problems, gut problems ??

Doctors do not know about fungal skin conditions, except tinea and ringworm.

Standard statement - I have spent over 2,500 hours reading scientific papers about fungal acne and gram negative acne, and I have extensive experience with fungal acne, in particular. I am a scientist (not a medical doctor). I provide information based on my extensive experience with fungal acne, and some experience with gram negative acne.

Yes I have dandruff and red itchy skin not sure if any internal gut problems I never got checked for that , I was trying nystatin for my rash awhile ago and it seemed like it didn’t do anything I’m just so frustrated cause I feel like it’s just a continuous cycle of this and it’s not getting any better and when I shower or irritate my skin slightly it gets worse