Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
GoodAcneAdvice

Diet Tracking is the way to understand where people are acne-wise

I have come to the realization that the only way to understand where someone is acne-wise is to ask that person to track their food intake for four or more days.  How people describe their diet and how they actually eat can be very different.  Moreover, foods people assume are 'healthy' may actually contribute to acne.

For example, androgen levels are affected by insulin and IGF-1 which have dietary triggers.  It matters a lot if someone is eating 300 grams of carbohydrate or 70 grams a carbohydrate per day; androgens will differ, blood sugar will differ.  Or, specific foods are notorious for triggering breakouts.  

Tumor protein p53 is hypothesized to be the one factor unifying all anti-acne treatments (see the scientific paper "p53: key conductor of all anti-acne therapies" by Bodo Melnik).  The nutritional precursors to p53 are many and a single deficiency can prevent the body from fully activating p53.  Food tracking can reveal deficiencies which prevent p53 activation.

Dietary changes can hit the same biochemical pathways as prescription drugs.  For example, accutane works because it bypasses a broken vitamin A metabolism to activate p53.  But a person can fix their own broken vitamin A metabolism if the problems are identified and fixed.  I believe that it is healthy in the long run to have a working vitamin A metabolism because it will lower long term health risks like cancer, diabetes, heart disease and infertility.

So I want to make an offer to look at everything someone is doing acne-wise.  Diet, lifestyle, supplements.  
And then have a phone call where we go over the information and try to figure out what is causing the acne.

I would like to help more than a few people.  So I would like to record the call and post it on youtube and/or a podcast so it may help others who want to troubleshoot their acne.  Sometimes it takes hearing about someone else's problem to understand one's own problem.  

So, if any of you are interested in this, please contact me.

I'd be willing to do a phone call. Share some advice.

But for me, the question isn't whether IGF-1 is triggered by foods or androgens for that matter. We all have hormones. The question is why do they cause problems? In other words, why are hormones not being properly regulated/managed? There are lots of men who have unusually high levels of androgen/male hormone and don't experience acne. Given that the microbiota in the gut acts as an "endocrine" organ, what's going haywire there?

At the end of the day, I don't believe neither foods nor hormones inherently cause acne. Rather, they are only intermediates or "actors" that "reveal" the underlying dysfunction of the gut microbiota.

There's some thought that "IGF-1 stimulates oil production and therefore acne...". Don't believe in that either. I don't think oil causes acne, regardless of IGF-1 and its effects. For instance, there's been times when I've had VERY oily skin and yet, no acne.  Other times relatively dry skin but acne anyway. There has to be some other factor going on. The skin is designed to secrete oil. That's just a natural thing.

I think in the coming years, we'll find that we're sort of looking at things somewhat wrong. I'm not saying I'm right, just that when reading scientific papers and such, a lot is menionted about human genes, this gene, that gene, and could theoretically lead to acne this way, etc. It seems like a top-down approach. I think ultimately we'll find that instead of that, we need to understand more about the microbiota and how it does what it does. Because they influence a massive amount of our own genes. Acne may not originate in our own genome. But rather our genome is being "directed" by an external entity.

If it's true that the collective genome of the microbiome is approximately 150 times larger than our own, it's not a stretch to say that they "control" us in a big way.

Moreover, how is it that, acne being an inflammatory disease, so many of us remain chronically inflamed when almost all of us do everything possible that is ANTI-inflammatory. That doesn't make sense. In my mind, there are only a few logical explanations. One is that an infection is present. The other is that there's been a loss of key anti-inflammatory microbes from the gut ecosystem.

Based on my own research and findings, I do believe in the idea of there being "key" or "cornerstone" species of microbes that are more important in the ecosystem than others and that they have an ability to shape the microbiota at large. This concept of "peacekeeping" microbes. I suppose it's very possible that the dysbiosis and intestinal problems found so prevalent throughout western society and the modern world at large now could be due to us in effect wiping out these true symbionts, giving rise to all manner of disaster.

Edited by FvckAcne