Notifications
Clear all

Adult Acne Help!

MemberMember
(@kook919)

Posted : 07/11/2019 3:42 am

Hi guys,

Need some advice on adult acne here. I'm a guy in my early 30s and a few months back had a massive acne breakout like never before. I don't think I've had this bad a breakout ever in my life and having to deal with this is taking a toll on my confidence and patience.

I'm not sure if these are factors that played a role but here's my backstory: 

Late last year in October, I moved to a different country so I've been here for about 9-10 months now. My face was still acne-free between October to around February this year. It was only some time around mid-late February when the breakout abruptly happened and took me completely by surprise.

I get a pimple or two from time to time but they normally heal within a few weeks. However, I knew this was not normal when more and more pimples started appearing. I realized they tend to appear more on my forehead but recently have started to set up camp on my sides and chin as well! 

I just want to point out that absolutely nothing has changed in my diet or routines so I don't suspect it to be the cause. One thing that has changed is obviously the weather. When I arrived, it was about 75 degrees Fahrenheit but the summer heat is averaging at about 90+ degrees now. But the thing is, where I'm from (my home country), it's about 90 degrees all year round too.

I return home in a few months' time but in the meantime, I'm completely at my wits' ends and would appreciate any help I can get. Putting some current pics of my acne for reference:

IMG_0919.JPG.d0e0954b16b841ae8e5cba969f983128.JPGIMG_0918.JPG.605850acb0d3547e96443e47a722d305.JPG

MemberMember
(@foodforthought)

Posted : 07/11/2019 10:42 am

Heya,

What are the environmental conditions like in your new place? It could be that free radicals are playing havoc with your skin due to changes like: water composition that your shower in, air pollution, or higher UV rating. Would suggest:

* Getting a shower filter (around $20) to filter your water
* Wearing sunscreen daily if you don't already (UV oxidising squalene on the skin causes acne)
* Massively up your intake of antioxidant-rich foods - berries, powdered berries, herbs and spices, brazil nuts,fruit, etc.

I had the same problem with moving location and it took several months for the build-up to have an effect (i.e. for the anti-oxidants in my skin to become depleted by the new environment and acne to deteriorate - it cleared up perfectly when I moved and upped my anti-oxidants massively).

I also find that high Omega 3 fish oil works wonders for calminginflammation!

P.s. I wouldn't be surprised if Assie Scientist jumps in here to tell you about fungal acne. It actually could well be as it's on your forehead, where sweat glands are. I would research into it as, if you are in a humid environment, that would be making it worse too! It doesn't look like regular acne.

MemberMember
(@aussie-scientist)

Posted : 07/11/2019 11:33 pm

Food for Thought read my mind!

Kook

Your condition DOES very much look like fungal acne, which is exacerbated by hot, humid conditions.

Have you taken antibiotics or other meds ?

Antibiotics and some other meds CAUSE fungal acne.

Do you have dandruff or a white tongue ? These are signs of fungal acne, along with the acne itself.

Do the following to control fungal acne.

1. Buy clotrimazole topical antifungal cream (often sold as Canesten - no prescription needed) and apply it to the areas with the the acne 2-3 times a day. Topical antifungal creams are totally safe.

2. Wash your hair in an antidandruff shampoo.

3. Do NOT apply any moisturisers or organic oils to the areas with the acne. Keep your skin very dry. Wipe off sweat. Fungus loves moisture. And one type of fungus that causes acne FEEDS on organic oils.

4. Do NOT exfoliate your skin.

I am happy to hear back from you.

MemberMember
(@kook919)

Posted : 07/11/2019 11:52 pm

41 minutes ago, Aussie Scientist said:

Food for Thought read my mind!

Kook

Your condition DOES very much look like fungal acne, which is exacerbated by hot, humid conditions.

Have you taken antibiotics or other meds ?

Antibiotics and some other meds CAUSE fungal acne.

Do you have dandruff or a white tongue ? These are signs of fungal acne, along with the acne itself.

Do the following to control fungal acne.

1. Buy clotrimazole topical antifungal cream (often sold as Canesten - no prescription needed) and apply it to the areas with the the acne 2-3 times a day. Topical antifungal creams are totally safe.

2. Wash your hair in an antidandruff shampoo.

3. Do NOT apply any moisturisers or organic oils to the areas with the acne. Keep your skin very dry. Wipe off sweat. Fungus loves moisture. And one type of fungus that causes acne FEEDS on organic oils.

4. Do NOT exfoliate your skin.

I am happy to hear back from you.

Thanks. I'll give this a try. It's definitely a lot more humid here so I sweat much more compared to back home. I've actually been exfoliating twice a week - had thought it would help with getting rid of the dead skin?

Also, I have very oily skin so I'm not sure if this will affect any of the measures you recommended?

Edit: Thought I should also point out that the area becomes much noticeable (redder) and sometimes itchy (only on the sides, not the forehead). Are these signs of fungal acne?

MemberMember
(@aussie-scientist)

Posted : 07/12/2019 12:38 am

Kok

Itchiness and red skin are strong signs of fungal acne.

Do not exfoliate as doing so removes your natural skin barrier and allows fungus invade your skin pores. Fungal acne looks like ordinary acne but its causes are different.

The dead skin is probably partly a result of the fungal condition. Dead skin won't do any harm - but exfoliating which removes the natural skin barrier will do lots of harm by letting the fungus invade the skin.

MemberMember
(@kook919)

Posted : 07/12/2019 5:56 am

Just curious - does this mean I should refrain from working out then? I work out at least 3 times a week and I do sweat a lot from exercising - would that be detrimental?

MemberMember
(@aussie-scientist)

Posted : 07/12/2019 11:15 pm

Sweat will make fungal acne worse, and sweat can sometimes cause fungal acne.

Don't stop your gym work, but DO put antifungal cream on exposed areas of skin before and after working out and put antifungal powder on areas of skin that are covered before and after working out and during the work out if you are sweating a lot. Keep wiping the sweat off your skin. Keep your skin dry.

Standard statement - I have spent over 2,500 hours reading scientific papers about fungal acne and gram negative acne. I am a scientist (not a biomedical scientist) but I am not a medical doctor. I have extensive experience with fungal acne, and some experience with gram negative acne.

MemberMember
(@streamofconsciousness)

Posted : 07/15/2019 6:38 pm

Look up Hibiclens and see whether it may help. I thought of it when others mentioned your conditioncould be fungal. I had (painful and embarrassing) cystic acne for years and finally a brilliant nurse practitioner told me to try Hibiclens. Worked within a couple of days and has kept them away with a little swipe of the pink liquid each time I shower. I'm not a doctor, have no medical training, just want to spread the word about this miracle potion and how it worked/works on my skin. I checked 3 stores for best price, and everywhere it was $9.99 US, but has lasted me 18 months and I'm probably not halfway through it. You do have more to clean than I did/keep treating the area of, so it may not last as long except that once it clears up you might get by with every other or every third day's use. I really hope this works for you!

MemberMember
(@aussie-scientist)

Posted : 07/15/2019 6:58 pm

Hibiclens can help control fungal acne, but one needs to use topical antifungal creams also - see my earlier post.

And be careful with using Hibiclens - over time (ie, several months to years) Hibiclens can encourage growth of gram negative bacteria (because Hibiclens kills gram positive bacteria) and gram negative bacteria can cause acne, sometimes in association with fungal acne.

Standard statement - I have spent over 2,500 hours reading scientific papers about fungal acne and gram negative acne, and I have extensive experience with fungal acne, in particular. I am a scientist (not a medical doctor). I provide information based on my extensive experience with fungal acne, and some experience with gram negative acne.

MemberMember
(@streamofconsciousness)

Posted : 07/15/2019 7:10 pm

9 minutes ago, Aussie Scientist said:

Hibiclens can help control fungal acne, but one needs to use topical antifungal creams also - see my earlier post.

And be careful with using Hibiclens - over time (ie, several months to years) Hibiclens can encourage growth of gram negative bacteria (because Hibiclens kills gram positive bacteria) and gram negative bacteria can cause acne, sometimes in association with fungal acne.

Standard statement - I have spent over 2,500 hours reading scientific papers about fungal acne and gram negative acne, and I have extensive experience with fungal acne, in particular. I am a scientist (not a medical doctor). I provide information based on my extensive experience with fungal acne, and some experience with gram negative acne.

WOW--thanks so much for the info! I'll keep it in mind. Topical anti-fungals didn't work at all for my condition, but I'll keep an eye on it.

MemberMember
(@aussie-scientist)

Posted : 07/15/2019 8:51 pm

Thanks Stream of Consciusness

One has to use the correct topical antifungal for the type of fungus causing the condition. I can provide more information, if you wish