Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Posted (edited)

Hello everyone this is my first time writing on a forum like this so i really hope i get a response! So 5 days ago, i was prescribed Estelle-35ED by a dermatologist. The doctor and pharmacists I spoke to told me that there was no reason for me to be getting new pimples while I was on the pill. However, I have been noticing pimples around my chin and jawline area which is an area of my skin i am not prone at all to getting pimples except for the occasional one or two sometimes when im on my period. But the morning after I took estelle i developed an extremely painful blind pimple under the skin on my chin and am starting to get more and more pimples around my chin and jaw. I have also noticed more tiny pimples on my forehead and cheeks, (I had a flare up of cheek acne that was starting to go away but when I started the pill, more pimples seem to be surfacing on the same area) Furthermore, I have cut out all actives from my skincare regimen and even my face cleanser and have only stuck to moisturiser because of the fact that ive damaged my moisture barrier and am cutting out all actives till i repair my barrier. I guess what im asking is, is it normal to break out when ur on the pill and how long did it take for ur skin to clear on the pill. Also is it alright for me to take spearmint tea while im on the pill! PS the area where im extremely prone to breakouts is my forehead

Edited by tasmiah.mahmud

Estelle

You may have fungal acne.

Birth control pills (can) cause fungal acne. The acne outbreaks on your skin are most likely fungal acne caused by taking the birth control pills. 

Fungal acne is usually cystic.

If you can, I suggest that you STOP taking the birth control pills as they are probably causing the acne outbreaks.

Also do the following -

1. Buy clotrimazole topical antifungal cream (often sold as Canesten - no prescription needed) and apply it to the areas with "acne" 2-3 times a day.

2. Wash your hair in an antidandruff shampoo.

3. Do NOT apply any moisturisers or organic oils to the areas with the "acne". Keep your skin very dry. Fungus loves moisture and one type of fungus that causes fungal acne feeds oon organic ils.

Topical antifungal creams are totally safe.

Do you have dandruff or a white tongue ?? Have you taken antibiotics

I am happy to hear back from you.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Aussie Scientist said:

Estelle

Birth control pills (can) cause fungal acne. The acne outbreaks on your skin are most likely fungal acne caused by taking the birth control pills. 

If you can, I suggest that you STOP taking the birth control pills as they are probably causing the acne outbreaks.

Also do the following -

1. Buy clotrimazole topical antifungal cream (often sold as Canesten - no prescription needed) and apply it to the areas with "acne" 2-3 times a day.

3. Do NOT apply any moisturisers or organic oils to the areas with the "acne". Keep your skin very dry. Fungus loves moisture and one type of fungus that causes fungal acne feeds oon organic ils.

was not expecting a reply so soon, thank u for responding! I do have dandruff and actually im quite scared to apply any topical creams on my skin at the moment because of my damaged moisture barrier, applying more actives to my damaged barrier lead to an increase in breakouts so i learnt from my mistake and stopped. I have not tried any antibiotics because ive heard from many others that eventually your body grows resistant and acne comes back worse, and i didnt rlly want a temporary fix to my situation. Are there any oral antifungal medications?

FullSizeRender.jpg.f32f4615322610517f415b8214ad9ee3.jpg

4 hours ago, Aussie Scientist said:

Estelle

Also do the following -

PS ive attached a picture of the type of acne i get on my forehead!

Edited by tasmiah.mahmud

Tasmiah

There are oral fungal medications, but the ones that might help fix fungal acne are quite dangerous - they can cause liver damage.

However, I STRONGLY suggest that you try applying clotrimazole antifungal cream on the areas with acne and the surrounding areas. Clotrimazole cream is not usually irritating.

Applying antifungal creams is different from applying ordinary skin creams. Ordinary skin creams will make fungal acne worse BECAUSE fungus LOVES moisture and most skin creams contain organic oils which feed the fungus that cause the acne. That is why you got breakouts when you applied "actives".

If you have dandruff, then malasezzia fungus is most likely causing your acne - terbenafine antifungal cream is the best for controlling malasezzia but it does irritate some people's skin so star with clotrimazole antifungal cream (which is less irritating).

A wonderful antifungal product which is totally non-iritating is Mustela Foam Shampo for Newborns. I STRONGLY suggest that you buy some of this and wash your hair and skin in it. It will NOT irritate your skin.

The birth control pill is most likely causing your fungal acne, so I would STOP taking it, if you can. Fungal acne is caused by antibiotics, birth control pills, prednisone and possibly accutane.

Do NOT NOT NOT apply antibiotics to your skin (or take antibiotics) - they will make your problem worse and worse. Antibiotics CAUSE fungal acne. You need to use antifungal creams NOT antibiotic creams.

Try using topical antifungal creams - they should work to control your acne, along with stopping taking the birth control pills, and washing your hair in antidandruff shampoo and NOT using ANY moisturisers or organic oils on your skin.

I am happy to hear how you go....

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Aussie Scientist said:

Tasmiah

There are oral fungal medications, but the ones that might help fix fungal acne are quite dangerous - they can cause liver damage.

However, I STRONGLY suggest that you try applying clotrimazole antifungal cream on the areas with acne and the surrounding areas. Clotrimazole cream is not usually irritating.

Applying antifungal creams is different from applying ordinary skin creams. Ordinary skin creams will make fungal acne worse BECAUSE fungus LOVES moisture and most skin creams contain organic oils which feed the fungus that cause the acne. That is why you got breakouts when you applied "actives".

If you have dandruff, then malasezzia fungus is most likely causing your acne - terbenafine antifungal cream is the best for controlling malasezzia but it does irritate some people's skin so star with clotrimazole antifungal cream (which is less irritating).

A wonderful antifungal product which is totally non-iritating is Mustela Foam Shampo for Newborns. I STRONGLY suggest that you buy some of this and wash your hair and skin in it. It will NOT irritate your skin.

The birth control pill is most likely causing your fungal acne, so I would STOP taking it, if you can. Fungal acne is caused by antibiotics, birth control pills, prednisone and possibly accutane.

Do NOT NOT NOT apply antibiotics to your skin (or take antibiotics) - they will make your problem worse and worse. Antibiotics CAUSE fungal acne. You need to use antifungal creams NOT antibiotic creams.

Try using topical antifungal creams - they should work to control your acne, along with stopping taking the birth control pills, and washing your hair in antidandruff shampoo and NOT using ANY moisturisers or organic oils on your skin.

alright thank u so much i currently live in singapore and i hope i can find these products at my local pharmacy

16 minutes ago, Aussie Scientist said:

Tasmiah

by the way, if you are familiar do you by any chance have any idea what this kind of acne may be, when i try to pop these bumps (yes i know its a bad habit and ive stopped), a white substance comes out and its definitely not pus its like a hard white substance that comes out, do you know what kind of acne this is?

FullSizeRender 2.jpg

Edited by tasmiah.mahmud

Tasmiah

Yes, I do know what type of acne you have. The hard white substance is keratin, which the fungus makes your skin make. Your skin makes the hard white keratin nodules in response to the fungus which is causing your "pimples"/"acne"..

You definitely have fungal acne. I have the same problem. 

Please do NOT take Estelle - it will make your fungal acne worse and worse, as you are finding. Doctors (and pharmacists) do NOT know about fungal acne.

As well as applying clotrimazole antifungal cream to your skin, also buy some azaleic acid cream/lotion and apply that. The azaleic acid cream/lotion will help to 'dissolve" the hard keratin lump.

If the clotrimazole antifungal cream and the azaleic acid cream/lotion plus the Mustela Foam Shampoo for Newborns (and stopping taking the birth control pill) do not fix your "acne" problem after a couple of weeks, then buy some terbenafine antifungal cream and apply that together with the azaleic acid cream plus continue to wash your face and hair in the Mustela shampoo.

You should be able to buy the antifungal creams/lotions products in Singapore without a prescription - buy the products on-line if necessary.

And keep your skin dry - wipe off sweat. Fungus LOVES sweat.

I am happy to hear how things go...

18 minutes ago, Aussie Scientist said:

Tasmiah

Yes, I do know what type of acne you have. The hard white substance is keratin, which the fungus makes your skin make. Your skin makes the hard white keratin nodules in response to the fungus which is causing your "pimples"/"acne"..

You definitely have fungal acne. I have the same problem. 

Please do NOT take Estelle - it will make your fungal acne worse and worse, as you are finding. Doctors (and pharmacists) do NOT know about fungal acne.

As well as applying clotrimazole antifungal cream to your skin, also buy some azaleic acid cream/lotion and apply that. The azaleic acid cream/lotion will help to 'dissolve" the hard keratin lump.

If the clotrimazole antifungal cream and the azaleic acid cream/lotion plus the Mustela Foam Shampoo for Newborns (and stopping taking the birth control pill) do not fix your "acne" problem after a couple of weeks, then buy some terbenafine antifungal cream and apply that together with the azaleic acid cream plus continue to wash your face and hair in the Mustela shampoo.

You should be able to buy the antifungal creams/lotions products in Singapore without a prescription - buy the products on-line if necessary.

And keep your skin dry - wipe off sweat. Fungus LOVES sweat.

I am happy to hear how things go...

Just brought some clotrimazole. Will try it on my pimples tonight and let you know tmr! Thank u so much

1 hour ago, Aussie Scientist said:

Great. I look forward to hearing how things go...

one more question when i put on the cream do i rub in the cream on the affected areas or do i just dot it on the affected areas and let it dry down on its own

15 hours ago, tasmiah.mahmud said:

one more question when i put on the cream do i rub in the cream on the affected areas or do i just dot it on the affected areas and let it dry down on its own

how long till i will notice adifference in my skin using canesten?

A week or two, Tasmiah. But note that you may have to use terbenafine cream, with the clotrimazole cream and the azaleic acid. Start with the clotrimazle cream and the azaleic acid cream and see how things go...