Acne Regimen After ...

Notifications
Clear all

Acne Regimen After Accutane?

MemberMember
(@awills)

Posted : 06/28/2019 5:13 pm

Hi all,

I'm 26 year old female in the UK.I had a successful course of accutane in 2016. My skin was beautifully clear until January this year and it has gone downhill fast.

The acne I had before accutane was extremely severe -the acne I have now it is not as widespread, and certainly the blemishes aren't as big, deep or painful, but the appearance is very similar. Of course, because I have had accutane, my skin is not oily at all.

I am going to see my GP about my skin next month, but I know he'll offer accutane again which I just can't do (suffered extreme hair loss before) or he'll offer Dianette (contraceptive pill) which I'm reluctant to try because synthetic hormones etc etc, but because I'm feeling desperate I'm considering it.

Anyway then I remembered the Acne.org Regimen and I'm thinking of giving it a go.

Anyone here using the regimen after having used accutane previously? Would love to hear your experiences.

Thank you!

MemberMember
(@aussie-scientist)

Posted : 06/29/2019 1:14 am

Awills

You may NOW have fungal acne NOT ordinary acne. Fungal acne is caused by taking antibiotics, birth control pills, and some other meds, including possibly accutane.

People often start with ordinary acne, which becomes fungal acne over time.

The treatments for ordinary acne make fungal acne worse an worse. Doctors don't know about fungal acne.

If you get back to me with answers to the questions below, I can provide information that will likely control your "acne".

It is best to apply topical antifungal creams and see if that controls your "acne" before taking anything. Oral meds have side effects, often very bad side effects, whereas topical antifungal creams aer TOTALLY safe - with no side effects.

Fungal acne is safely and cheaply treated by applying topical antifungal creams (which are TOTALLY safe), keeping skin dry and washing hair in an antidandruff shampoo.

I can provide more information if you get back to me with answer to these questions -

1. Have you taken antibiotics (if yes - which ones ?) or other meds. (accutane, yes) ?

2. Do you have one or more of the following - dandruff, white tongue, toenail fungus, sinus problems, gut problems, unexplained tiredness or brain fog?

I look forward to hearing back from you.

MemberMember
(@awills)

Posted : 06/29/2019 2:19 am

1 hour ago, Aussie Scientist said:

Awills

You may NOW have fungal acne NOT ordinary acne. Fungal acne is caused by taking antibiotics, birth control pills, and some other meds, including possibly accutane.

People often start with ordinary acne, which becomes fungal acne over time.

The treatments for ordinary acne make fungal acne worse an worse. Doctors don't know about fungal acne.

If you get back to me with answers to the questions below, I can provide information that will likely control your "acne".

It is best to apply topical antifungal creams and see if that controls your "acne" before taking anything. Oral meds have side effects, often very bad side effects, whereas topical antifungal creams aer TOTALLY safe - with no side effects.

Fungal acne is safely and cheaply treated by applying topical antifungal creams (which are TOTALLY safe), keeping skin dry and washing hair in an antidandruff shampoo.

I can provide more information if you get back to me with answer to these questions -

1. Have you taken antibiotics (if yes - which ones ?) or other meds. (accutane, yes) ?

2. Do you have one or more of the following - dandruff, white tongue, toenail fungus, sinus problems, gut problems, unexplained tiredness or brain fog?

Hi there,

Thank you for taking the time to reply. I haven't taken any antibiotics at all in the 3 years since finishing accutane. 

My scalp has been (very slightly) flaky since I finished accutane. Not sure if that's dandruff? 

I don't have toenail fungus or any of those other things. I did, however, go through a phase of getting vaginal thrush very easily which I read was linked to accutane. I haven't had that for at least a year now though. 

Would you recommend treating it as fungal acne to see if it works? What products would I use?

Thank you :)

MemberMember
(@aussie-scientist)

Posted : 06/29/2019 9:49 pm

Awill

I suggest that you do the following -

• 1. Buy and apply clotrimazole anti-fungal cream (no prescription required) 2-3 times a day. TOPICAL antifungal creams are TOTALLY safe. If the clotrimazle cream does not control your "acne" within a few weeks, I can suggest other antifungal creams, but clotrimazole cream is the best one to start with, because it is broad spectrum.

2. Wash your hair in an antidandruff shampoo.

3. (Excuse the capital letters) DO NOT USE ANY ORGANIC OILS OR MOISTURISERS ON THE AFFECTED AREA. ORGANIC OILS FEED one type of FUNGUS that causes fungal acne, and all fungus loves moisture.

4. Do NOT take antibiotics unless you have a life threatening bacterial infection. Do NOT take birth control pills. Both of these make fungal acne worse. Do NOT take accutane - it makes fungal acne worse.

5. Do NOT exfoliate your skin or use anything harsh on it.

• Doctors don't know anything about fungal acne.

Aussie Scientist
Reply to this topic...

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

7f2bb57c0b09d5bf102f609f80876654_bean.png

Personalized Advice Quiz - All of Acne.org in just a few minutes

• What is your sex?
      • Male
      • Female
    • How old are you?
      • 0-11
      • 12-18
      • 19-25
      • 26+
    • How severe is your acne?
      • Light
      • Moderate
      • Severe
    • Do you have acne on your back and/or chest?
      • Yes
      • No
      • A Little
    • Do red/dark marks from previous acne linger on your skin?
      • Yes
      • No, Not Really
    • What is your skin tone?
      • Light
      • Medium
      • Dark
    • Do you have any acne scarring?
      • Yes
      • No
      • A Little
    •  

• Community Links

MemberMember
(@awills)

Posted : 07/01/2019 8:09 am

On 6/30/2019 at 3:49 AM, Aussie Scientist said:

Awill

I suggest that you do the following -

• 1. Buy and apply clotrimazole anti-fungal cream (no prescription required) 2-3 times a day. TOPICAL antifungal creams are TOTALLY safe. If the clotrimazle cream does not control your "acne" within a few weeks, I can suggest other antifungal creams, but clotrimazole cream is the best one to start with, because it is broad spectrum.

2. Wash your hair in an antidandruff shampoo.

3. (Excuse the capital letters) DO NOTUSE ANY ORGANIC OILS OR MOISTURISERS ON THE AFFECTED AREA. ORGANIC OILS FEED one type of FUNGUS that causes fungal acne, and all fungus loves moisture.

4. Do NOT take antibiotics unless you have a life threatening bacterial infection. Do NOT take birth control pills. Both of these make fungal acne worse. Do NOT take accutane - it makes fungal acne worse.

5. Do NOT exfoliate your skin or use anything harsh on it.

• Doctors don't know anything about fungal acne.

Hello again Aussie Scientist,

Thank you for your response. I have been using the clotrimazole since I read your reply on Saturday morning. So far no difference but still early days. I have a couple of questions if you don't mind:

How long do you recommend trialling anti-fungal for? 

If I have to put sun cream on my face, is there a brand you recommend? It's summer here and I don't really want to go out without SPF on my face.

My spots are mostly pustules I think, could this still be fungal? I have attached a photo I would appreciate your thoughts :) I also have lots around my mouth and chin (especially corners of mouth)  

IMG_8457.jpg.0b7ea3021f4f6e399295ed9b750df2a2.jpg

MemberMember
(@awills)

Posted : 07/01/2019 3:00 pm

Hi Aussie Scientist,

I had four new spots come up today - bigger than usual. Is this normal or should I stop using the anti-fungal cream?

MemberMember
(@aussie-scientist)

Posted : 07/01/2019 7:21 pm

Awills

See if you can get a sunscreen without any organic oil in it.

Are you using anything else on your face other than the antifungal cream ?

MemberMember
(@awills)

Posted : 07/02/2019 2:03 am

9 hours ago, Aussie Scientist said:

Awills

See if you can get a sunscreen without any organic oil in it.

Are you using anything else on your face other than the antifungal cream ?

Will do. No, apart from the sunscreen but I've used it before without issue.

I think the very small spots on my forehead and nose have improved though. Is it possible that I might have two types of acne at the same time?

I felt as though my foreheads tiny bumps had cleared nearly entirely, then two normal-sized spots came up there. The other new spots are one on my temple (this was one of my worst acne areas pre-accutane) and one in the middle of my chin.

Edited to add: I found this search tool on the forums which will tell you if your products have ingredients which promote the growth of malasezzia: https://www.sezia.co/search

I found that the current face wash I'm using had some of those ingredients, so I went out and bought some Cetaphil this morning. Wondering if you had any thoughts on this.

MemberMember
(@aussie-scientist)

Posted : 07/02/2019 7:43 pm

Awills

Yes, one can have two types of acne at the same time, but not usually ordinary acne and fungal acne.

The main thing to avoid with malasezzia is organic oils, as mal. feeds on those.

The spots might be inflammation caused by the fungus "fighting back" against the antifungal crream.

If you are still having breakouts in a few days time, them buy some terbenafine antifungal cream (Lamisil or similar) and apply that together with the clotrimazole cream. Terbenafine cream targets malasezzia better than clotrimazole cream.

I advise using clotrimazole cream to start with because it is a broad spectrum antifungal cream and it is easy to get. People do often need a more targeted antifungal cream to control the problem fully.

Let me know how things go.

MemberMember
(@awills)

Posted : 07/06/2019 4:59 pm

On 7/3/2019 at 1:43 AM, Aussie Scientist said:

Awills

Yes, one can have two types of acne at the same time, but not usually ordinary acne and fungal acne.

The main thing to avoid with malasezzia is organic oils, as mal. feeds on those.

The spots might be inflammation caused by the fungus "fighting back" against the antifungal crream.

If you are still having breakouts in a few days time, them buy some terbenafine antifungal cream (Lamisil or similar) and apply that together with the clotrimazole cream. Terbenafine cream targets malasezzia better than clotrimazole cream.

I advise using clotrimazole cream to start with because it is a broad spectrum antifungal cream and it is easy to get. People do often need a more targeted antifungal cream to control the problem fully.

Let me know how things go.

Aussie Scientist,

Thank you for your help so far.

It has now been 7 days since I begun using the Clotrimazole, and I have seen improvement but not cure. I do still have small whiteheads (around mouth) and small bumps (jawline and temple) coming up. Everything looks calmer though... is it time to try terbenafine? 

Also, my skin has become extremely flaky in between my eyebrows, at the bottom of my forehead, and the apples of my cheeks. What does this mean? And can I use anything on it? My son has eczema so I have quite a few different balms/lotions/creams in the house including Eumovate, Hydrocortisone and Epaderm. Just to note I do not usually have flaky skin at all (it's usually dry, but it's a 'normal dry', not a flaky dry!) 

Also I used anti-dandruff shampoo for the first time this week. Smells terrible but noticed an improvement straight away. 

I have another question - if the acne was hormonal, could it still be fungal?

MemberMember
(@aussie-scientist)

Posted : 07/06/2019 9:27 pm

Awills

Thanks for your post. Goodish news...

Yes, fungal acne can be hormonal, because malasezzia fungus (which is most likely the cause of your fungal acne) feeds on sebum. Sebum production is skin is related to hormones.

Yes, do now use terbenafine combined with the clotrimazole. Terbenafine is better for treating malasezzia than clotrimazole, but it is good to start with clotrimazole because it is broad spectrum.

The flaky skin is most likely caused by the malasezzia fungus (malasezzia causes flaking skin, seborhheic dermatitis as well as dandruff and fungal acne), so use terbenafine on the flaky skin.

Do NOT use moisturiser on the flaking skin, as this will make the flaking worse. Fungus moves across skin (with hyphae, which are like runners in plants). The fungus is probably moving to areas where you have not applied antifungal cream - I assume that you have not applied clotrimazole cream to the areas which are flaking... ? Let me know if I am wrong here.

See how you go with applying the terbenafine cream to the areas that are flaking - that should control the flaking.

Do NOT use ANYTHING with organic oils on it on the areas of your skin that have acne or are flaking - malasezzia fungus FEEDS on organic oils (and organic fats).

Do NOT use hydrocortisone on skin with fungal acne (unless it is VERY inflamed, and then only for 2-3 days) because hydrocortisone reduces one's body's ability to control fungus (and other pathogens).

PS> Some ezcema is caused by fungus. Have you ever tried applying clotrimazole antifungal cream to your son's ezcema and see if that controls it..?? Might be worth doing ... Just a thought.... (noting that I am not a doctor)...

MemberMember
(@awills)

Posted : 07/08/2019 3:51 am

(Reposted)

MemberMember
(@awills)

Posted : 07/08/2019 8:07 am

On 7/7/2019 at 3:27 AM, Aussie Scientist said:

Awills

Thanks for your post. Goodish news...

Yes, fungal acne can be hormonal, because malasezzia fungus (which is most likely the cause of your fungal acne) feeds on sebum. Sebum production is skin is related to hormones.

Yes, do now use terbenafine combined with the clotrimazole. Terbenafine is better for treating malasezzia than clotrimazole, but it is good to start with clotrimazole because it is broad spectrum.

The flaky skin is most likely caused by the malasezzia fungus (malasezzia causes flaking skin, seborhheic dermatitis as well as dandruff and fungal acne), so use terbenafine on the flaky skin.

Do NOT use moisturiser on the flaking skin, as this will make the flaking worse. Fungus moves across skin (with hyphae, which are like runners in plants). The fungus is probably moving to areas where you have not applied antifungal cream - I assume that you have not applied clotrimazole cream to the areas which are flaking... ? Let me know if I am wrong here.

See how you go with applying the terbenafine cream to the areas that are flaking - that should control the flaking.

Do NOT use ANYTHING with organic oils on it on the areas of your skin that have acne or are flaking - malasezzia fungus FEEDS on organic oils (and organic fats).

Do NOT use hydrocortisone on skin with fungal acne (unless it is VERY inflamed, and then only for 2-3 days) because hydrocortisone reduces one's body's ability to control fungus (and other pathogens).

PS> Some ezcema is caused by fungus. Have you ever tried applying clotrimazole antifungal cream to your son's ezcema and see if that controls it..??  Might be worth doing ... Just a thought.... (noting that I am not a doctor)...

Aussie Scientist,

Thanks again for your feedback. I bought Lamisil yesterday morning and applied it to the flaky areas, unfortunately this seems to have made it worse and I also now have dry flakiness around my mouth. The big patch of acne on my jaw/right cheek is continuing to improve though, albeit slowly. 

I do have new whiteheads around my mouth again this morning. Unsure what to think at this point... what are your thoughts?

I haven't tried antifungals on my sons skin but will give it a go :) thank you 

Edited to add: My scalp is insanely itchy since I used the anti-dandruff shampoo. Especially at the nape of my neck. It was so itchy i thought I must have nits. I asked my mother to have a look for me and she said there are lots of spots on my scalp - I pointed out the itchiest areas to her and it seems like the spots themselves are itchy. Is this a bad reaction to the shampoo? It was Neutrogena T-Gel shampoo. My scalp wasn't really itchy before this. I've always had a few scalp spots but not this many and I didn't have this itchiness. 

MemberMember
(@aussie-scientist)

Posted : 07/08/2019 7:08 pm

I think you have had reaction to the shampoo on your scalp - some antidandruff shampos cause skin irritation sometimes because of the antifungal ingredient in them, but mostly because they contain sodium laurel sulphate which is very irritating - it is annoying (and totally unnecessary) that this dreadful product is added to shampoos (and skin washes). The best and gentlest antidanduff shampoo is Mustela Foam Shampoo for Newborns (no SLS) - see if you can get that.

Is the flakiness around your mouth in an area where you have not applied any antifungal cream ?

Your skin is probably being irritated by the preservative in the Lamisil. And, the fungus might be moving to areas without antifungal cream. Fungus does move.

I suggest you go back to just using clotrimazole cream and apply it to your whole face.

Can you buy azaleic acid products without a presription, for a reasonable price ? If so, it might be worth applying topical azaleic acid product along with the clotrimazole cream. That should calm things down, and azaleic acid is mildly antifungal.

MemberMember
(@awills)

Posted : 07/09/2019 4:02 am

8 hours ago, Aussie Scientist said:

I think you have had reaction to the shampoo on your scalp - some antidandruff shampos cause skin irritation sometimes because of the antifungal ingredient in them, but mostly because they contain sodium laurel sulphate which is very irritating - it is annoying (and totally unnecessary) that this dreadful product is added to shampoos (and skin washes). The best and gentlest antidanduff shampoo is Mustela Foam Shampoo for Newborns (no SLS) - see if you can get that.

Is the flakiness around your mouth in an area where you have not applied any antifungal cream ?

Your skin is probably being irritated by the preservative in the Lamisil. And, the fungus might be moving to areas without antifungal cream. Fungus does move.

I suggest you go back to just using clotrimazole cream and apply it to your whole face.

Can you buy azaleic acid products without a presription, for a reasonable price ? If so, it might be worth applying topical azaleic acid product along with the clotrimazole cream. That should calm things down, and azaleic acid is mildly antifungal.

Thank you for the recommendation, I will see if I can get hold of some Mustela.

The first few days I was applying the anti fungal to my whole face, then I was only applying it to areas with blemishes. So it is possible fungus moved. I have started applying it to my whole face again now.

I found this Azaleic Acid product, would this be suitable? https://www.cultbeauty.co.uk/the-ordinary-azelaic-acid-suspension-10.html

MemberMember
(@aussie-scientist)

Posted : 07/09/2019 6:26 pm

Awills

Yes, apply the antifungal cream to your whole face.

And yes, The Ordinary azaleic acid cream is fine. Apply it together with the clotrimazole antifungal cream.

MemberMember
(@awills)

Posted : 07/14/2019 5:43 am

On 7/10/2019 at 12:26 AM, Aussie Scientist said:

Awills

Yes, apply the antifungal cream to your whole face.

And yes, The Ordinary azaleic acid cream is fine. Apply it together with the clotrimazole antifungal cream.

Hello,

I have been using the azelaic acid for a few days now. I am just wonderinghow I should be applying it? Should I apply the antifungal to my whole face and then apply the azelaic acid to my whole face right on top? Should I do it morning and night time?

Also, I thought I'd let you know that I applied antifungal to the 'acne' on my chest and it has nearly entirely cleared in 4 days.

In regards to my face, the main patch of acne I had on my right cheek/jaw and temple continues to improve at an extremely slow pace. Most of the spots are flat now but still very red, you have look very close and feel them to know they are flat.I have had quite a fewwhiteheads pop up across my face since my last message - even on the left side of my face, which was entirely clear since accutane. They are mostly very small ones, on my nose and around my mouth. But I had a deep painful one right under my left eye which was odd. It is still healing.

I did continue to alternate between terbenafine and clotrimazole because my clotrimazole was running low but I will now discontinue terbenafine completely as you suggested, and see how that goes. Maybe that's the cause of the whiteheads?

MemberMember
(@aussie-scientist)

Posted : 07/14/2019 7:00 pm

Awills

Good news re the acne on your chest clearing with the antifungal - did the chest fungus clear with clotrimazole cream or with the clotrimazole cream plus terbenafine cream ??

Tebenafine itself is unlikely to cause whiteheads, but manufacturers put irritating things into antifungal creams (which is very annoying) so, yes, the terbenafine cream could have caused the whiteheads.

I would apply the azaleic acid to your whole face first and then apply the antifungal cream on top of the azaleic acid.

Happy to hear updates...

Standard statement - I have spent over 2,500 hours reading scientific papers about fungal acne and gram negative acne, and I have extensive experience with fungal acne, in particular. I am a scientist (not a biomedical scientist), and I am not a medical doctor. I provide information based on my extensive experience with fungal acne, and some experience with gram negative acne.

MemberMember
(@awills)

Posted : 07/15/2019 3:03 pm

22 hours ago, Aussie Scientist said:

Awills

Good news re the acne on your chest clearing with the antifungal - did the chest fungus clear with clotrimazole cream or with the clotrimazole cream plus terbenafine cream ??

Tebenafine itself is unlikely to cause whiteheads, but manufacturers put irritating things into antifungal creams (which is very annoying) so, yes, the terbenafine creamcould have caused the whiteheads.

I would apply the azaleic acid to your whole face first and then apply the antifungal cream on top of the azaleic acid.

Happy to hear updates...

Standard statement - I have spent over 2,500 hours reading scientific papers about fungal acne and gram negative acne, and I have extensive experience with fungal acne, in particular. I am a scientist (not a biomedical scientist), and I am not a medical doctor. I provide information based on my extensive experience with fungal acne, and some experience with gram negative acne.

I used both for chest acne. 

I picked up some new clotrimazole today but only realised afterwards that the one I got is 1% (the canesten one I had been using is 2%) does this matter? 

I will keep you posted on how the clotrimazole and azelaic acid work together :)

Edited to add: I™m currently watching tv and noticed my skin where the acne is on my right cheek feels hot. The rest of my face feels normal temperature. Does this mean anything? 

MemberMember
(@aussie-scientist)

Posted : 07/15/2019 6:44 pm

Awills

Heat implies that you have a secondary staph infection on top of the (fungal) acne.

STAPH INFECTIONS ARE VERY DANGEROUS. Is the hot area red ? Take your temperature and go STRAIGHT TO A HOSPITAL IF YOU HAVE A RAISED TEMPERATURE AND OR THE REDNESS SPREADS.

GO STRAIGHT TO A HOSPITAL IF RED OR YELLOW LINES SPREAD FROM THE HOT AREA.

Otherwise, put some antibacterial or antibiotic cream (iodine, neosporin etc) on the hot area.

People carry staph in their nose - one must use extreme hygeine - wash hands etc before touching areas with broken skin and after blowing one's nose.

1% clotrimazole cream should be OK.

Standard statement - I have spent over 2,500 hours reading scientific papers about fungal acne and gram negative acne, and I have extensive experience with fungal acne, in particular. I am a scientist (not a medical doctor). I provide information based on my extensive experience with fungal acne, and some experience with gram negative acne.