Notifications
Clear all

New regimen... Its clearing up!

MemberMember
(@clearskinpls95)

Posted : 06/27/2019 4:25 am

My skin is finally clearing up. It has been doing so a few times here and there only to go back again but it has not been this clear in years! It has just been 6 days since I started a new regimen, but I've done a lot of changes!I still have a few bumps though, but last week my skin felt like sandpaper and now it's a lot smoother and clearer!I'm gonna write in this thread for future personal reference so I keep on track what I change etc. and so I can go back and see what I did to achieve this. It's such a bummer that I don't remember what I ate etc. back when I was a teen and didn't have acne! If anyone reads this and wanna see what I have been doing and get some tips you're more than welcome to do so.
My skin has been itchy since the first week of May, and the itching is also fading a bit, but it's not completely gone!

Anyway, I got kinda convinced I have Candida overgrowth so I got a bit scared and did a lot of googling and decided to start the anti-candida diet. This means that I had to start eating chicken, fish and eggs again after being almost fully plant based for almost 2 years. NO RED MEAT THOUGH!I also have to exclude dairy, gluten, all fruits except for 1 green apple/day max and blueberries, starchy vegetables, legumes and refined sugars. I'm allowed to eat quinoa, millet, amaranth, teff, buckwheat, oat bran.I also changed my skincare regimen a bit... I will write everything below.

Why I think I might have Candida overgrowth

• I read the symptoms of it and I have many of them: Bloating(!!), acne, itchy skin, irritated skin, tiredness (could be due to a hectic school year and being an anxious person), dizziness (could be due to being early iron and B12 deficient or the fact that I'm underweight), losing a lot of hair (could be due to deficiencies), shortness of breath (could be due to deficiencies or anxiety)etc.
  • I did the Candida spit test, which I don't know how reliable it is, and I my saliva didn't completely float.
  • I have eaten a lot of carbs through the years. Not refined sugars though, apart from the sugar in 70-85% dark chocolate! Actually a lot of whole grains and stuff but I guess Candida doesn't care what type?
  • When I was around 15-17 (I'm 24 now) I had a burning sensation in the upper part of my stomach which I think was due to anxiety, but my doctor said it could be due to an ulcer or acid reflux or whatever, so he adviced me to take a medicine for that until I could dotests like gastroscopy etc. I don't know how strong the medicines were though, but those medicines create low stomach acid etc which is not good for gut health... The gastroscopy showed no signs of ulcers.
  • I had a yellow nail a couple of years ago, however I'm not 100% sure it was actually fungus. I used an anti-fungal treatment for it which ALSO worked as a chemical peeling so it could be the chemical peeling effect that actually removed the yellowness.
  • With the help from someone on this forum, I figured out I might have fungal acne so I used anti-fungal creams for two weeks in May. This cleared me up a bit but not fully, and the itching still remained. I figured it wasn't fungal so I stopped for around 2-3 weeks. My skin became worse but it could also be because I tried Epiduo (only for 6 nights total) like 3 weeks ago,and tea tree oil which my skin may have reacted to. I started using the anti-fungal cream again and my skin has improved again, even the itchiness. But it could also be due to the other things I've done (read further down).

Why I think I might not have Candida overgrowth

• I don't have a white tongue (it's only a LITTLE white at the very back of my tongue but I think everyone has that?) and I also don'thave a Candida infection down there.
  • Have only been on antibiotics once in my life (when I was a BABY!). I guess that when you take antibiotics as a baby when your body still is developing could affect your gut flora though...?
  • Never taken birth control.
  • My symptoms could be due to my eating disorder, being slightly underweight and being at an early stage for iron, B12 and folate deficiency.
  • My symptoms could be due to the fact that I'm a worrier. I have always been and I went through all my teen years without any acne problems despite this.
  • My bloating could be caused from eating a lot of legumes and fiber, and sitting down a lot in lectures and studying.
  • The fact that my skin has cleared might have been an effect of other things I've been doing. Will write more about this below.
  • A lot of natural anti-fungals in the Candida treatment I already have consumed a lot of these past years (ginger, garlic, peppermint, turmeric, cinnamon etc), so why should I be a candidate for having Candida overgrowth?
  • I don't really crave sweet stuff. I even started to get tired of eating 1-2 bananas everyday because I thought they started tasting too sweet. I also worked as a barista for almost 2 years with lots of desserts around meand I never felt that tempted to try them. I still don't know what any of the desserts we were selling taste like. However, I do love bread, but not white bread (not that it matters). During these days of avoiding sugar and fruit I have not really craved bread or fruit either. I'm only eating one granny smith apple/day to get up my calories. I think they are too sour and would actually rather not eat them. I only crave fruit if I look at them and really concentrate and think about how juicy they are, hehe.

What differences I have seen since starting my new regimen

• Clearer skin, less itchiness
  • Less bloating
  • I can eat WHOLE broccoli and cauliflower flowers without getting super bloated. I used to not be able to eat the stems without getting super bloated!
  • I can eat more spicy foods without a lot of stomach discomfort/upset (so far).
  • I can eat more seeds than usual without bloating or stomach upset.
  • Suprisingly, I don't go to the bathroom as often (TMI sorry)even though I still consume a lot of fiber from vegetables and drink a lot of water. This could be due to eating more meat again too I guess, and it could also be because I have summer break so I'm less anxious about school. I go at least once a day though.
  • Weight loss (which is a bad thing for me since I'm already underweight)

What I've been doing (since June 21)

• I've been following the anti-candida diet. The only carbs I eat come from non-starchy veggies, oat bran, quinoa, millet, amaranth, buckwheat, blueberries and granny smith apples. A lot of people do a bone broth cleanse as well but this could be dangerous for me since I'm underweight so I haven't done that.
  • I've started using salicylic acid on my face again, as well as an anti-fungal cream. I also use 100% Squalane sometimes for moisture.
  • I've drank lukewarm-ish (more on the hot side) lemon water almost every morning.
  • I've drank more ginger tea than usual.
  • I started eating meat again and avoided all legumes = I've gotten a better balance between my carb/protein/fat intake.
  • I used to eat 1-2 bananas every day for I don't remember how long, and sometimes an apple (royal gala) on top of that. I've only eaten ONE granny smith apple/day since starting this regimen... But this I've only been doing for 2 days. I started with no fruit (just blueberries) at all but it has been too much. I still eat blueberries. You're allowed to eat 1 cup but I even eat less than that.
  • I've cut out gluten completely. No cheating.
  • I've cut out dairy completely.I used to not being able to do this fully before because I always felt like I wanted butter on my bread. But since starting my regimen I have not cheated once.
  • I've started taking probiotics. The max dose of the probiotics I take are 4 billions of good bacteria. I know others take more than that but I don't want to exceed the max dose and I like thebrand I use because they don't add a lot of unnecessary shit to their products.
  • I've also started taking an iron and B12 supplement. This is where it gets tricky though, because the supplement is a drink which actually contains some honey and fruit extracts. But this product is the ONLYthing sugary I take!! And it's only 20 ml.
  • I've switched from eating oatmeal in the morning made from gluten free organic oatsand oat milk, to making oatmeal withoat bran and water.
  • I eat chia pudding in the afternoon. It's pretty small though, lol. It's only made from 1 tbsp of chia seeds and 0,7 dl of oat milk. I also put toppings like blueberries, sunflower butter. I also add cloves, cinnamon and cardamom for extra anti-fungal properties. The oat milk contains natural sugars from the oats which is also a bit tricky... But I'm allergic to nuts so I can't have any nut milk. I'm not allergic to coconut but I absolutely despise the taste of it. I can only drink/eat coconut milk in a curry because the spices conceal the coconut taste.
  • I've been eating a sunflower seed butter which I made last week, and I've also been eating more pumpkin seeds (which supposedly kill parasites).
  • I've been taking 1 tsp of coconut oil almost every day (YUCK!). It's anti-fungal and many people take 2 tbsp. But since I really really despise coconut so much I can only do one teaspoon. It's better than nothing.
  • I've been consuming even more ginger and turmeric than I used to. I even eat waaay more veggies than I used to do when I mainly ate plant based. This week I think I have been eating more broccoli than I usually do in a month! I guess I'm more motivated to add even more veggies now that I know I need them to fill me up. And now that I don't eat legumes I can tolerate fiber better I guess?
  • I used to eat pretty low fat when I was mainly plant based. Now I eat more fat because I eat a lot more seeds, sunflower seed butter, coconut oil, avocado oil, avocado... And also some fat comes from the meat that I eat.
  • As I mentioned earlier, I've gotten a better balance between my carb/protein/fat intake. When I was plant based I used to eat a lot of grains and carbs just to get a higher caloric intake. I track this with Cronometer.

My thoughts
Is the reason behind my clearer skin that I'm reducing some Candida overgrowth? I still don't know. I'm not from the US, and where I live I think that doctors don't care for Candida. I went to the doctor and took some blood tests for deficiencies and gluten intolerance. I have not yet heard back from her and she told me that she'd only call me if somethings wrong, otherwise I can see my results online. I have already seen some of them so I know my iron and B12 levels are low. They are still in the margins but on the verge of being low. My iron test seem to have been going through hemolysis so hopefully she's gonna call me and tell me I need to retake it, and when she does I'm gonna ask her if there are other tests I can take for my stomach, such as testing for Candida, parasites etc... If she tells me the gluten test comes out negative.

I have been doing A LOT of changes lately and I know that in order to figure out better what has been working and not I need to introduce/change one thing at a time and see how my skin reacts. I mean, simply not eating bananas could have improved my skin, who knows?! Cutting out gluten could also have contributed. I have tried being gluten free before but I also cheated a bit every now and then, and I still ate fruits and pasta made from corn flour so... yeah. I do think that gut health and diet have a lot of impact on skin. I think the main reason why my skin is getting better is because I have a better ratio between carbs, proteins and fats, and I eat even more veggies, seeds and spices which are all rich in antioxidants and other nutrients.I mean, this could still be related to some Candida issues, but idk. However,I used to eat between 180-240 g of net carbs but now I only eat approximately 130g of net carbs max. I know a lot of people doing the anti-candida diet eat mainly meat and vegetables. I tried it the first day but I was hungry all day long, and the next day I felt weak and dizzy so I decided I'd eat any of the allowed carbs with my meals.

Btw, I just want to clarify that I did take B12 when I was mainly plant based as well, just not that often because I still ate fish sometimes, and sometimes eggs. I also ate fortified oat yoghurt sometimesso I didn't think I needed it THAT much)... But I think now that I've started taking an iron and B12 supplement things are improving. I don't think my levels have gone up that fast though, but I know that deficiencies can cause acne and other problems as well! I wasn't completely deficient though, but I was on the verge of becoming deficient, and my ferritin levels and MCHC levels were quite low! I never took an iron supplement until now though. I still don't feel 100% better because obviously it has only been a few days.

My stomach might just simply feel better because I have been taking probiotics and avoided gluten. I do tolerate legumes sometimes, sometimes not... So I guess avoiding them might have helped as well.

Salicylic acid might have done a major difference to my skin? I have been using it in the past but didn't notice a huge change in my skin when I stopped using it though. I'm still gonna use it though for as long as I have some bumps.

However, I wish that I don't have to follow this exact diet for too long. Many people say they need to be on the anti-candida diet for MONTHS but that's just not sustainable for me. That's why I also truly hope I don't have this condition, and that my problems only come from not balancing my calories enough or something... I'm gonna see a dietician in a few weeks and ask her for help on how to balance everything despite eating plant based so I don't go back on the same route again. This was not how I expected my summer to be. This was the summer I was supposed to GAIN weight and feel better and hang out with my friends!But because my face has been itchy for around 6 weeks I've been worrying about my health and googling what could possibly be wrong. I do think that most skin problems are a reflection of what's going on inside. I just find it hard to believe that your body would just randomly produce acne if you take good care of yourself.

Because of my diet change, I don't consume as many calories as I should. I have not yet found a good portable anti-candida-friendly snack which makes me avoid meeting my friends, because if I do meet up with my friends I need a good snack to bring because I can guarantee that there's nothing I could buy that wouldn't have added sugars or fruit. My nut allergy also complicates a lot of things because otherwise I'd just bring a bag of nuts. And If I don't eat a snack in the afternoon I'll just start worrying about not getting enough calories in and start having anxiety, which is gonna make me feel dizzy and cause more anxiety and worry because I'll worry I'm gonna faint etc. and make me wanna go home.

MemberMember
(@clearskinpls95)

Posted : 06/28/2019 9:15 am

Today my doctor called and it turns out I'm not that deficient in iron that I need to supplement, but B12 I need to supplement on the other hand. This means I can stop taking 20 ml of the iron/B12 drink each day which contains honey and other sugars, and only take B12 tablets instead. Hopefully my skin will improve further by not including the drink in my diet! I also think I'm not gonna use oat milk for my chia pudding, or just try my best to find a better snack!

I'm a little worried that I'm not doing it right. When I see other people's food on this diet they mainly just eat meat and veggies. I just wonder how they get their calories in and don't go hungry?! Today I unfortunately think I have been eating too many carbs for this diet, BUT I still have gotten a good balance with the protein. I could've eaten some more fat today but my stomach has felt a bit weird and I suspect it's because I've been eating quite a lot of fat these past 2 days compared to what I've been used to eating. I ate a curry with coconut milk for lunch which I usually love but now I don't wanna eat it in a long time I feel like...

I'm gonna start whitening my teeth today as well and for a few days, so my dentist told me to not eat turmeric during this time so that's gonna be interesting to see how my skin is doing... I was getting a bit tired of turmeric anyway. I'll stick with garlic and ginger I guess.

It just sucks that I can't test for Candida with the help from a doctor. I tried but she didn't even know what Candida or leaky gut is... This diet sucks so if I don't have it I don't wanna do this in vain...

MemberMember
(@aussie-scientist)

Posted : 06/29/2019 1:19 am

Clear Skin

Do you want information about how to treat candida ? Diet o its own will NOT control candida, but some simple, safe and cheap topical treatments wil control skin candida, and a totally safe and cheap oral treatment WILL control gut candida.

Get back to me if you want further information.

MemberMember
(@clearskinpls95)

Posted : 06/29/2019 2:12 am

53 minutes ago, Aussie Scientist said:

Clear Skin

Do you want information about how to treat candida ? Diet o its own will NOT control candida, but some simple, safe and cheap topical  treatments wil control skin candida, and a totally safe  and cheap oral treatment WILL control gut candida.

Get back to me if you want further information.

I mean, I'm not 100% sure I have it but if you have any tips then feel free to share :)

MemberMember
(@clearskinpls95)

Posted : 06/29/2019 11:54 am

Today I had chicken again and like.. It was "tasty" I guess but the roasted rutabaga and zucchini I made was waaay tastier! I had to struggle to even eat the chicken. I miss eating plant based so much! I'm seriously contemplating to go back to eating plant based again and not care about this diet but make sure to get enough fat and protein... I'm only like 40-50% sure I could have Candida. But I don't know. :(  If I stop this diet I know I have to make small changes first. I'll either have to start by incorporating fruit OR legumes for instance to see how my skin reacts. Not both at the same time. But I think I'll stick to the anti-candida diet for a few more days. I have leftover chicken after all which shouldn't be thrown away. 

My skin has been a little bit itchy today, but it has still felt much better considering the fact that I've been wearing makeup for a couple of hours. I will have to see what it feels like once I wash it off.

I also stopped drinking lemon water in the morning yesterday since I started a teeth whitening treatment. Even though I always use a straw when drinking lemon water I don't dare to keep doing it right now. I also stopped eating blueberries which I usually do every day. Hopefully this won't affect my skin.

MemberMember
(@aussie-scientist)

Posted : 06/29/2019 9:40 pm

Clear Skin

I assume you have an acne problem which is probably fungal acne - is that the case ?

Do you also have a gut candida problem - see below for symptoms.

Fungal acne is and other fungal problems are caused by prescription meds, usually antibiotics but also birth conrol pills, prednisone and possibly accutane.

Do the following to get rid of fungal acne caused by candida

(NOTE THAT THE REGIME IS SLIGHTLY DIFFERENT to get rid of fungal acne caused by malasezzia - see below for questions which your answers to - will allow me to know whether you have fungcandida or malasezzia fungal acne). al

1. Buy and apply clotrimazole anti-fungal cream (no prescription required) 2-3 times a day. TOPICAL antifungal creams are TOTALLY safe. If you can get also buy some nystatin cream and aply that together wit the clotrimazole cream.

2. Wash your hair in an antidandruff shampoo.

3. (Excuse the capital letters) DO NOT USE ANY ORGANIC OILS OR MOISTURISERS ON THE AFFECTED AREA. ORGANIC OILS FEED MALASEZZIA FUNGUS, an all fungus loves moisture.

4. Do NOT take antibiotics unless you have a life threatening bacterial infection - I realise that you have not taken antibiotics.

5. Do NOT exfoliate your skin or use anything harsh on it.

If you get back to me with answers to the following questions, I can provide more targeted information for your situation.

Do you have one or more of the following - white tongue, dandruff, flaking skin, toenail fungus, itchy skin, red rashes, sinus problems, gut problems, unexplained tiredness, "brain fog" or headaches. I realise that you do have some of these, from your blog above. Dandruff is a key indicator, because dandruff indicates malasezzia rather than candida, although people can have both fungi.

Have you taken any meds ???

Gut candida causes tiredness and disorientation because candida makes aldehydes which are the same chemicals that cause hangovers

Oral Nilstat is the best thing for getting rid of gut candida - we'll know whether you have gut candida from your answers to the above questions.

Do NOT eat gluten, sugar, preservatives, artificial flavours, dairy, or any inflammatory foods or foods that cause histamine releases (you can look these up on the web). The so-called candida diet is partly right and partly a myth. Basically, you (and everyone else) should avoid inflammatory foods.

I look forward to hearing back from you.

•  

Aussie Scientist
Reply to this topic...

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

7f2bb57c0b09d5bf102f609f80876654_bean.png

Personalized Advice Quiz - All of Acne.org in just a few minutes

• What is your sex?
      • Male
      • Female
    • How old are you?
      • 0-11
      • 12-18
      • 19-25
      • 26+
    • How severe is your acne?
      • Light
      • Moderate
      • Severe
    • Do you have acne on your back and/or chest?
      • Yes
      • No
      • A Little
    • Do red/dark marks from previous acne linger on your skin?
      • Yes
      • No, Not Really
    • What is your skin tone?
      • Light
      • Medium
      • Dark
    • Do you have any acne scarring?
      • Yes
      • No
      • A Little
    •  

• Community Links

MemberMember
(@clearskinpls95)

Posted : 06/30/2019 4:39 am

Okay so my symptoms out of which you described:

• I don't know if I have dandruff, but my scalp has been flaky and dry for a long time. And a bit itchy. I now use a shampoo with climbazole though!

• My skin (face, upper back and chest) has been itchy for 7 weeks, BUT this week I have felt a remarkable difference because the itchiness has reduced by I'd say 90%! 

• I do have gut problems and I've had them since I was a teen (back then it was mostly a loose stool, not bloating though sorry if TMI), but I'm a very anxious person and I think about my gut a lot, which could be contributing to my problems. I did not get acne before the age of 20. I usually feel better in my stomach during my summer breaks, probably because I feel less anxiety. I generally think my stomach feels better when I'm less anxious. I notice that I can get bloated if I eat too much fiber and legumes. I have not been remarkably bloated since not consuming legumes/eating plant based. However, I've still been eating a lot of fiber in general this week because I only eat quinoa, millet, buckwheat and vegetables with my meat/eggs. Sometimes I've been eating vegan meals but WITHOUT legumes and I have also felt a lot better doing so. So it seems that legumes could possible be the culprit. A lot of people get gassy and bloated from legumes. I've been allergic to peanuts (my last allergy test, when I was a teen, did not show any signs of it anymore though but I don't trust it since peanut allergies generally don't go away). Peanuts are legumes. But my dad is also allergic to them and he can eat beans and still feel fine, though he doesn't eat them as much as I did when I was plant based because he eats meat and eggs. But I'm also quite sedentary due to school which isn't good for digestion. I notice that I feel better if I take a walk when I'm bloated. 

• I do experience some tiredness from time to time - but keep in mind that my B12 levels were at 164 pg/mL (I think that's the correct unit?) during the last blood test I took (this week). And if you're deficient in B12 you can experience tiredness. The reason for my deficiency is most likely due to eating mainly vegan foods and not supplementing enough with B12. Although I'm inside of the margins for iron, I still think it's on the lower side and during my menstruation I tend to get a slight deficiency, which could cause tiredness. I also stress a lot about my studies at university which of course can cause tiredness. I don't see myself as being more tired than the average person though.

• I used to get tension headaches a lot when I had my chemistry classes at uni, and I know to 99% they were tension headaches. I also tend to get headaches when I start taking Claritin (which is the only medicine I've been taking. I do take ibuprofen maybe once/twice every other month or so for menstrual cramps too. Other than that I only take vitamin D, B12, probiotics and sometimes omega 3 from seaweed) for my pollen allergies during spring/summer since headaches are a common side effect. I haven't had headaches since April I guess. I try to avoid medicines as much as I can, that's why I always try to eat as healthy as possible so I won't need medicines.

• I get red rashes on my back during the winter time, but I guess that's because the weather is cold and the air is dry? I live in a really cold country.

• I don't know exactly what the term "sinus problems" indicates because we don't really use that term in my language apart from in trigonometry, lol. Jokes aside, I think sinuses and "regular respiratory problems" are two different things if I'm not wrong? Whenever there's a lot of pollen outside, like now, my turbinates get a bit swollen so that my nose feels stuffed, and sometimes my ears feels stuffed too but the doctor said it could be due to when my nose is stuffed. But the sinuses feel fine. 

• I don't have remarkably flaky skin. A LITTLE bit by one of my elbows, but otherwise - no. I used to have flaky skin on the face after I washed my face with head and shoulders a couple of times but I figure that was the culprit. It is now restored. My skin is a bit dry but I've been eating low fat for a pretty long time which could cause dry skin I guess. And my ears are a little bit dry but I never apply moisturizer on my ears, lol. My skin has improved a lot since I started eating more (healthy) fats.

• As mentioned in my first post, I did have a slightly yellow toenail back in like 2016 or 2017. Can't remember exactly. But it could've just been a discoloration because it didn't look weird in any other way as far as I can remember. And as I also mentioned it went away after using a nail polish which had 3 different uses - to either eliminate fungus, exfoliate the nail/remove discoloration.. and I don't remember the third effect but I think it was the chemical exfoliant effect that removed the color?

• Also, I don't think I have a white tongue. It's only a tiny bit white-ish around the circumvallate papillae (at the back of the tongue)... But I don't know/think that's anything to worry about?

Sorry for the long post but I don't just wanna throw out my symptoms without mentioning other possible explanations. 

Also, you say that Candida causes a type of tiredness/disorientation you have when you're hangover. I don't think I tend to feel disoriented at all. I mean, I've never been drunk because whenever I drink alcohol it's usually only a glass of wine and I drink like 1-2 times a year... Not a huge fan of alcohol so I don't know how that feels. But despite not being a huge drinker, I don't seem to think that I get disoriented a lot. Maybe only RIGHT when I wake up and get out of bed, but who isn't?  Whenever I feel tired, from not sleeping a lot for instance, I usually can ignore it and forget that I'm tired.

Oh, btw. Before my itching problems and acne with small white zits started I started taking a supplement that only contains silica gel, which helps with bloating and other stomach problems, and also binds pathogens which get eliminated when you go to the bathroom. I have taken it before a couple of years ago without any issues so I don't think that was the culprit, but who knows. Around the same time there was a change in the weather and we went from cold weather to warmer. I also used a Foreo (silicone based exfoliation thingy) when washing my face EVERY evening. Maybe that was too much exfoliating which caused the zits and itchiness?

And yeah, I've had my acne for 4 years but it didn't became a huge problem until a few weeks ago when it started to itch and I got small white zits mainly around the mouth area, but also a bit on the forehead and the jaw arch (below the ears you know). The itching has been mostly prevalent around the jaw though, especially right on the jawbone below the chin. My face is 95% clear I'd say at the moment after starting this regimen. 

I also read something interesting about Lysine improving acne etc. I try to calculate my intake of food with Cronometer and I notice that now when I eat chicken again I get more than double the amount of Lysine than when I ate plant based. Eating Lysine can also improve hair growth, prevent anemia etc. etc... So that could also be something to keep in consideration.

Hope this helps. And I desperately hope it's Malassezia and not Candida! 

Edit: Just because I wrote that the itchiness has subsides a lot it has been a bit itchy today :/ Still better than a couple of weeks ago but yeah... Can candida be seen through colonoscopy btw?

MemberMember
(@aussie-scientist)

Posted : 06/30/2019 8:54 pm

Clear Skin

I suspect that you have overgrowth of both candida and malaezzia. Rashes and itchiness and flaking skin strongly indicate FUNGUS.

I would apply the regime for treating fungal acne (antifungal creams, keep skin dry, no organic oils on skin etc), that I suggested in my previous post. Do NOT exfoliate your skin as doing so destroys te skin barrier and alows

You can get rid of gut candida by takin oral Nilstat - which is safe. Oral Nilstat s sold to get rid of mouth candida, but you are supposed to swallow it.

A few other hings - tests for gluten only test for gluten allergy (coeliac) - they do NOT test for gluten intolerance, which most people have. Gluten is inflamatory and people should not eat it.

Lysine makes FUNGAL ACNE WORSE because candida FEEDS ON LYSINE. Treatments for FUNGAL ACNE ARE TOTALLY DIFFERENT FROM TREATMENTS FOR ORDINARY ACNE. Do NOT take lysine.

Can you get terbenafine cream (Lamisil) and nystatin cream (mycostatin) without a prescription in your country ?

Let me know how you go applying the clotrimazole antifungal cream. You might need to also apply terbenafine and nystatin cream to clear the "acne".

MemberMember
(@clearskinpls95)

Posted : 07/01/2019 1:05 am

I can get Lamisil without prescription and I already have it at home, but not the other stuff. Not even the oral medicine. So it's complicated when regular doctors don't seem to diagnose people with candida here... So good luck to me trying to get rid of it :( I can get a colonoscopy (but it would take like 6 months until I could get an appointment) but would the doctors be able to identify candida through it? I'd prefer a less invasive method though but idk how.

I've been using Canesten but I've run out of it now. 

Also, I'm underweight and I just can't seem to eat more calories on this diet. I'm afraid it's dangerous to eat this restrictive for me because being underweight can be just as dangerous as obese, especially when you've been underweight for a long time. I've been underweight for many years due to eating disorders and this diet is triggering an eating disorder so I don't feel good mentally about it because this summer I was planning on really recover but I'm doing the opposite on this diet. Are you really sure you think I have an overgrowth of candida and if so why? 

I mean like, I said my skin is a tiny bit flaky by one of my elbows. A lot of people's elbows are dry but does that really have to mean it's fungal? And also, if I'm not using moisturizer to my ears or face, of course they're gonna get dry because I wash them and strip them away of oil. 

MemberMember
(@aussie-scientist)

Posted : 07/01/2019 1:34 am

Clear Skin

You may have an overgrowth of candida or you may not. You certainly have some of the symptoms. Have you ever taken corticosteroids - prednisone or similar ? Have you taken accutane ?

The candida diet is largely (not entirely) nonsense and myth.The so-called candida diet will NOT get rid of candida and it is largely based on mythology, NOT on any evidence. You do NOT have to eat a highly restricted diet to get rid of gut candida. Instead, you take oral Nilstat (which is SAFE).

Do not eat gluten, dairy, preservatives, artificial flavourings, sugar or any foods which contain high levels of histamines (ie, do not eat fermented foods, tinned fish, or leftovers - you can check the web for other high histamine foods) - NO-ONE should eat these things - they cause inflammation. DO eat anything else - you CAN eat all vegetables (be careful of the "nightshade" vegetables), all meat (not processed or preserved meat), all grains (except wheat barley and rye - you can eat corn - it does NOT contain gluten), fruit in moderation, nuts (not if you have a nut allergy), and all oils and fats except polyunsaturated oils and trans fats. A bit of honey won't do any harm, nor will a tiny amount of sugar.

So you can eat a fairly usual diet - just no gluten, no or low sugar, no dairy, and be careful of high histamine foods.

DO the following to get rid of your acne - apply the clotrimazole cream together with the terbenafine cream to the areas with acne. Buy and apply nystatin antifungal cream also, if you can get it. Do NOT apply anything that is harsh on your skin. DO keep the areas with candida dry. Do NOT apply any organic oil oils to your skin and only use moisturisers without organic oils. DO wash your HAIR in an antidandruff shampoo.

Doctors know nothing about fungal conditions on skin or in the gut.

Let me now how you go, if you wish.

MemberMember
(@clearskinpls95)

Posted : 07/01/2019 1:53 am

As far as I know I have not taken any corticosteorids. I do not know what medicines I got when I was a kid though, but generally I've been a healthy person who hasn't taken a lot of meds. I would never take accutane. I try to avoid taking meds as much as I can and I try to solve my problems with natural herbs if I can.

I can't get oral nilstat without a prescription unfortunately...

It would be nice if I could do a proper test to make sure I don't have an overgrowth. However, it seems like these tests aren't 100% since everybody has some candida in their systems. I tried getting some type of test for my bloating issues (I exaggerated the pain I felt hehe) but all the doctor could offer me was a colonoscopy, that's why I'm wondering if candida can be seen there. I mean, wouldn't it show white spots on the inner wall of the colon? The doctor said that only gluten intolerance and IBS can be a cause of bloating. I know that isn't true but yeah. I was hoping she'd offer me to take a stool test or blood test but nope.

I don't eat any of the things you mentioned apart from leftovers, but it's not sustainable for me to not eat them. When I'm at uni I can't cook my food there and I don't have the money to buy food every day.

MemberMember
(@aussie-scientist)

Posted : 07/01/2019 2:00 am

Clear Skin

Which country are you in ? Depending on which country you are in - you can buy powdered nystatin and make up your own oral Nilstat - it is perfectly safe.

Candida ABSOLUTELY CAN CAUSE BLOATING. Doctors are very ignorant. I do not not take any notice of them. They have told me (and my friends) so many lies over the years.

Rgardless of whether you have candida or not I STRONGLY suspect that you have histamine intolerance (as many people do) -

https://www.self.com/story/food-allergy-or-histamine-intolerance

I would consider NOT eating left over foods - they are packed full of histamines. You might find that your gut problems go away if you avoid eating left over foods

MemberMember
(@clearskinpls95)

Posted : 07/01/2019 2:06 am

I have already researched it, you can't get it in my country :( but please answer my question if candida can be seen on colonoscopy? thanks.

MemberMember
(@aussie-scientist)

Posted : 07/01/2019 2:17 am

Clear Skin

You have checked about getting oral Nilstat. HOWEVER, I am referring to buying nystatin powder. These two things are the same compound, but getting them is different.

You do NOT need a prescription to buy (import) a small amount of nystatin powder or nystatin tablets or oral Nilstat in some countries.

I very much doubt whether you would see candida in a colonoscopy, and colonoscopies are quite dangerous.

https://www.yeastinfection.org/endoscopy-is-a-test-which-may-confirm-a-candida-yeast-infection/

https://www.webmd.com/colorectal-cancer/news/20180606/colonoscopies-can-cause-greater-infection-risk#1

I suspect you have histamine intolerance, plus possibly candida. The two can go together.

You can try sucking on and swallowing Dequaden lozenges (sold for mouth ulcers) - they are quite antifungal and may fix your gut candida.

MemberMember
(@clearskinpls95)

Posted : 07/01/2019 2:29 am

Well I checked the powder as well when you wrote about it, and as I said I can't get it where I live unfortunately.

The first link you provided seem to talk about endoscopies (upper stomach) not colonoscopies (colon). I prefer not to perform one anyway though.

However, I found some lab that can perform stool tests for candida and parasites and a bunch of other stuff. They have many different tests. What do you think about that?

That ulcer medicine is not available in my country either...Haha it's so strict.

Also, am I allowed to eat legumes or not? I keep hearing different things on different websites. I just don't wanna eat meat and eggs anymore.

MemberMember
(@aussie-scientist)

Posted : 07/01/2019 7:31 pm

Clear Skin

I am talking about a different source of nystatin powder from what I previously referred to. That is why I am asking you which country you are in - some countries (eg, the US) let people import small amounts of prescription products without a prescription

The candida diet is (mostly) rubbish. Of course, you can eat legumes.

I am starting to think that your problems are probably caused by histamine intolerance rather than candida. You have all the symptoms of histamine intolerance and you have not taken antibiotics or other meds which cause candida outbreaks.

I would DEFINITELY EAT A LOW HISTAMINE DIET.

I would not have any tests done UNTIL you have eaten a low histamine diet diet for two weeks and see if that solves (or starts to solve) your problems. Look up low histamine foods on the web.

MemberMember
(@clearskinpls95)

Posted : 07/02/2019 1:39 am

I read about histamine intolerance and it has almost the same symptoms as candida symptoms, but a bit different. I feel like the histamine intolerance symptoms actually apply for me better. I feel like whenever I read about people with candida they always talk about how they've been on antibiotics many times for acne, and it doesn't apply to me. I also saw an almost instant difference in my skin and stomach as soon as I (accidentally) cut some high histamine foods out. But who knows. I did eat some ulcer medicines when I was around 15-16 years old but if that would have caused some issues with my microbiome I feel like I would have gotten acne earlier than at 20? I don't know. Those medicines are said to cause overgrowth mainly in the esophagus but whenever I have stomach issues the pain lies in the lower part of my stomach.

Apparently high histamine foods are legumes, chocolate, pineapple, banana, tomato, avocado, cloves, cinnamon etc... A lot of things that I eat/ate and love.I just had cloves and cinnamon in my oatbran porridge before seeing your post. I guess I'll start eating low histamine foods tomorrow then! It would suck if I'm intolerant to avocados though because they are a great source of healthy fats for a skinny person with a nut allergy like me.

There are tests you can do for food intolerances (e.g. not allergies) as well butI've heard they are BS though. But I'm not an expert so I don't know? Maybe they could be worth trying after two weeks but they are very expensive so I don't wanna waste my money in case they are BS.

Edit: or maybe it's parasites...

MemberMember
(@aussie-scientist)

Posted : 07/02/2019 7:55 pm

Clear Skin

Thanks for your post.

Tests for food intolerances are not reliable. The best thing is to eat a low histamine diet and see if your condition improves.

Paradoxically, many of the things recommended for the "candida diet" are high in histamines, and some healthy foods are high in histamines.

The good news is that you can take a totally safe (and very healthy) supplement that will stabilise your mast cells, which will reduce histamine release AND you can take a totally safe enzyme which help your body break down histamines.

I suggest you do the following -

1. Eat a low histamine diet for a week. If your symptoms improve, then you know that histamine is the cause of your problems.

2. If histamine is the cause of your problems, buy some quercetin (powder or tablets) and take that. Quercetin will "stabilise your mast cells" so that you should be able to eat some (not too much) foods with histamines after a few weeks of taking the quercetin. Quercetin has a range of health benefits.

3. You can also buy DAO enzyme tablets (we all have DAO enzyme but people with histamine intolerance do not have enough DAO enzyme to break down histamines in foods). DAO breaks down histanmes in foods and you take it 10 minutes or so before a meal.

4. Also keep away from air with pollen or any other irritants in it, as the TOTAL histamine load is the problem - not JUST the histamines in food. Hay fever is caused by histamines.

Does your nose run when you eat ? If it does, that is a sure sign of a histamine problem.

MemberMember
(@clearskinpls95)

Posted : 07/03/2019 5:57 am

Thanks for your advice!

It makes perfect sense since I developed acne once I started to introduce more food into my diet (eating healthier). During my teens when I was acne free I used to eat very bland food, almost no spices and the only greens I ate were pretty much carrots, iceberg lettuce, broccoli and cucumber. lol. And it also makes sense because some weeks my skin looks like it's improving, then the next it looks like shit and the cycle repeats. Maybe it just has to do with the foods I eat. I did eat 2 bananas a day back in high school without any acne problem though, but nowadays when I eat a larger variety of food the histamine might "overload" or something. Maybe that's also why I haven't broken out significantly this past week even though I've been eating tomatoes and avocados, because there's no "overload" from a bunch of other high histamine foods. I don't know. Would avocado oil count as avocado (in a histamine perspective) btw? Kinda stupid question maybe but yeah...

I'll definitely give the low histamine diet a try. I might not start immediately though because I have a few avocados I don't wanna throw away, and my diet is also more restrictive now that I'm in the process of whitening my teeth since I can't eat certain things.  My skin is 96% clear now at the moment anyway :D

Edit: I forgot to answer, but no, I don't really seem to experience a runny nose when I eat as far as I've noticed. I'm not sure.

MemberMember
(@clearskinpls95)

Posted : 07/03/2019 12:54 pm

Update for my personal log

I just washed off my makeup and noticed some bumps under the surface along my jawline. I also got one new pimple there. They really don't look fungal, more cystic(ish). That really sucks. Guess I got too confident. I have still been strict with the diet though... But I'm also getting my period in about a week so.

MemberMember
(@aussie-scientist)

Posted : 07/03/2019 7:21 pm

Clear Skin

Fungal acne is virtually always cystic acne - fungal acne forms the most dreadful cysts.

Go with the low histamine diet.

Avocado oil probably does contain histamines.

And yes, histamine does build up and can overload. Often, people can can tolerate some levels of histamine but not too much. The overload can come from food and/or pollen etc in the air, or even changing temperatures - hot weather/cold weather etc.

It is quite possible to have fungal acne AND histamine intolerance.

MemberMember
(@clearskinpls95)

Posted : 07/04/2019 2:40 am

Okay, the air I can't control because there's pollen outside. Will try the diet later on.

I wanna pop some small stuff on my face. IF it's fungal acne, will it get worse if I pop the zits? Or better? I'd be using a clean tool.

Today I started eating oatmeal made from regular oats again instead of oat bran. There were only small packets of oat bran available at the store so I had to get 2/week while one packet of oats lasts me for 2 weeks. We'll see how my skin reacts... But again, I'm starting my period soon.

I'm gonna meet up with some friends later and they chose a cafe with lots of sugary products or just things I can't eat. So I guess I'll just have to sit there and stare while they eat. I'm so tired of acne and have to care about what I eat all the time. I mean, I eat generally healthy so having something sugary ONCE is allowed, but now that my acne is disappearing it seems like I can't have any sugar so yay...

MemberMember
(@aussie-scientist)

Posted : 07/04/2019 7:18 pm

Clear Skin

If you pop the zits, put some tea tea oil or eucalyptus oil on them after you pop the zits.

Make sure you twice wash your hands before and after touching your face. And make sure the tool is totally sterile - eg, by boiling it for 10 minutes in boiling water, and allowing it to cool on a clean towel or paper towel before use. Make sure you only touch the tool with twice washed hands.

Sugar is poison !!! No-one should eat it (except a tiny bit occasionally) - it causes dreadful health problems.

You can get an air filter for when you are inside. They help people with histamine intolerance.

MemberMember
(@clearskinpls95)

Posted : 07/05/2019 1:28 pm

Thanks for the tip! I got diagnosed with dandruff today btw. The doctor said I will have to use dandruff shampoos for the rest of my life. Lol, it sounded so extreme I don't know if it's true that I will have to use it for THAT long. I mean sure, I guess I have to use it for a period of time a few times in my life, but not like EVERY SINGLE TIME I wash my hair for the rest of my life?

Today I've been so bloated with painful bloating. At the cafe I drank a matcha latte (dairy free) which contained honey, and I managed to get an avocado toast on gluten free seed bread. I don't think my bloating is due to the honey though because I could already feel the bloating coming before I even left the house. I also felt stressed while eating dinner and I consumed a lot of broccoli yesterday so it's more likely that all of that was the cause. There was also pickled red onion on the avo-toast and I consumed raw garlic in the evening. I think there was just too much of everything and I also didn't drink a lot of water yesterday. I felt very dehydrated and water is important for digestion.

Anyway, I'm SOO tired of this type of bloating I have. I actually cried today because I just can't take the painanymore! This motivated me even more to try to heal my gut and heal my acne, because I still believe they are connected somehow!

MemberMember
(@aussie-scientist)

Posted : 07/05/2019 10:08 pm

Clear Skin

You may or may not have to use antidandruff shampoos for ever. Wait and see.

If you have dandruff, then you have malasezzia fungus, and that is causing your skin problems. You'll recall that I asked you whether you have dandruff early on. I don't understand why you did not know that you have dandruff ?? Surely you can see it on your clothes ??

To get rid of MALASEZZIA fungal acne, apply the terbenafine cream (Lamisil or similar) to the areas of acne together with the clotrimazole cream.

From what you told me up to now, I assumed you had candida fungal acne, but you have malasezzia FUNGAL acne. Therefore, you MUST use terbenafine cream (which is to control malasezzia), together with clotrimazole cream, rather than nystatin cream (which is to control candida).

So do the following to control your "acne" -

1. Apply terbenafine cream plus clotrimazole cream to the areas with acne 2-3 times a day.

2. Wash your hair in an antidandruff shampoo.

3. Keep the areas with acne VERY dry and do NOT use moisturisers or organic oils on them. Malasezzia FEEDS ON ORGANIC OILS.

Let me know how you go with this regime.