Notifications
Clear all

JB

MemberMember
(@jtb)

Posted : 06/26/2019 9:59 am

Hi!

I am a Scuba Divinginstructor and have just got back to Indonesia after nearly 2 years out.

By the time I left Indonesia last time I had acne all over my chest and back. Singular spots that seemed quite deep and often popped with blood and fluid (sorry to be graphic). The areas do not itch.

While being away from diving/SE Asia/specific diet -whichever is causing it - they cleared up completely within a few months.

After only 7 days back I have noticed that at least 10 faint red spots on my chest have already started to come out and a handful on my back already have white heads! I'm DREADING another full outbreak.

- Whilst in Indo last time, I changed the material of the rash vest I wore underneath my wetsuit 3 times (Polyamide/Elastine, Neoprene and Nylon/Elastine). This makes me doubt it's the material I'm wearing.

- Since I have been diving this time I have not been in the pool so we can strike that off the list.

- I am aware my diet changes massively while I am here. The main increases in foods I do not usually intake are: rice; noodles; chilli; soy products (tempeh/tofu/soy sauce); certain oils (Palm?) and food ingredients (MSG?); I guess more deep fried products than usual too.. I am not ingesting as much dairy; avocado; brown bread; cereals..

- I have not yet had a clothes wash so I doubt it is washing powder or other cosmetic products.

- Sun exposure and suncream usage is not too different to when I am in the summer elsewhere in the world, maybe just a little more humid.

If anyone has any input into the situation it would be massively appreciated!

Bacteria in the water..? Pores susceptible to pressure while diving?! I'm leaning towards the change in diet...

The first thing I'm going to try is to avoid all obviously deepfried foods like tempeh/chicken/tofu and foods heavy with oil like sambals/oily curries etc... Hopefully I don't have to get rid of Indonesian food all together! I have looked into MSG intake and am so far not convinced this is the culprit.

MemberMember
(@aussie-scientist)

Posted : 06/26/2019 7:23 pm

You very likely have fungal acne caused by humid conditions, eating foods that cause histamine releases (MSG, soy sauce etc) and possibly ? by taking antibiotics or other meds.

You can control the fungal acne by doing the following -

1. Keep your skin very dry. Apply antifungal powder every morning and ever night (and during the day, if necessary) to the areas with acne. Do NOT apply moisturisers to theareas with acne. Do NOT apply organic oils to the areas with acne.

2. Apply terbenafine antifungal cream (often sold as Lamisil) to the areas with acne.

3. Do NOT eat foods which are inflammatory or which cause histamine releases - you can look up which foods to avoid on the web - MSG is a GIANT NO NO ( you have realised).

4. Wash your hair in an antidandruff shampoo, even if you do not have dandruff.

I can provide more information if you get back to me with answer to these questions -

1. Have you taken antibiotics or other meds. including steroids?

2. Do you have one or more of the following - dandruff, white tongue, toenail fungus, sinus problems, gut problems, unexplained tiredness or brain fog?

I look forward to hearing back from you.