Notifications
Clear all

Help w treatmenet

MemberMember
(@lulu1)

Posted : 06/24/2019 2:28 am

I've had bren batteling with acne for over 10 years. I've manage to get it under control with eliminating dairy from my diet, managing my stress levels, birt contorl pill and w acids as topical treatmants. I had almos clear face for more than 2 years but it came back, almost overnight with lots of whiteheads. I figured it looks like fungal acne so I changed all my skincare with malasezzia safe ingredients. It is all on one cheek and I keep getting new infalmed ones every day. I dont know what to do.. It is summer here where I am so I'm afraid to undertake acid treatmans but i just dont know how to stop this :(

Please pleas help, what to do? Thank you so much

20190622_201253~2.jpg

MemberMember
(@aussie-scientist)

Posted : 06/24/2019 8:38 pm

You most likely have fungal acne. Fungal acne can be candida fungal acne or malasezzia fungal acne.

If you get back to me with answers to the questions below, I can provide information to control the problem.

Both types of fungal acne is caused by taking antibiotics and some other meds, including birth control pills.

You can control fungal acne by doing the following - (note that you have to actively control the fungus using topical antifungal creams)

1. Buy clotrimazole topical antifungal cream (often sold as Canesten) and apply it to the areas with "acne" 2-3 times a day. Topical antifungal creams are TOTALLY safe and most/some are available without a prescription.

2. Wash your hair in an antidandruff shampoo.

3. Do NOT apply any moisturisers or organic oils to the areas with acne unless your skin becomes verydry. Moisturisers and organic oils feed one type of fungal acne and all fungus loves moisture.

Do not apply acids to strip your skin - doing so destroys the skin barrier and allows fungus to invade.

If you get back to me with answers to the questions below, I can provide targeted information to control your "acne".

Have you taken antibiotics or other meds.

Do you have one or more of the following (as well as the acne) - white coating on your tongue (indicates candida), dandruff (indicates malasezzia), flaking skin, toenail fungus, itchy and/or painful skin, red rash/es, unexplained tiredness, headaches, "brain fog", stomach or gut problems, sinus problems.

You may need a more targeted antifungal cream to control the "acne". I can provide information about this after I hear back from you.

I look forward to hearing back from you.

MemberMember
(@lulu1)

Posted : 06/26/2019 12:49 pm

I dont have any other symptomes you mentioned.

What if (canesten) clotrimazol cream hasPolysorbate-20 - ingredient known to promote the growth of malassezia? Has anyone really tried it and it worked? I wash my face w head and sholders shampoo every few days, have all malassezia safe skincare and make up and I still brake out.

It is so frustating and I feel helpless.

If anyone needs help with fungal acne here are some very very helpful links;

[removed]

[removed]

[removed]

Last two are great for finding malassezia safe products!

MemberMember
(@aussie-scientist)

Posted : 06/26/2019 6:59 pm

Lulu

I doubt that polysorbate promotes malasezzia. There is no empirical evidence or logical reason why polysorbate would promote the growth of malasezzia any other fungus. Be careful about non-emprically based material on the web about fungal acne.

Organic oils DO promote growth of malasezzia because malasezzia feeds on organic oils - that is not a myth.

In any case, the antifungal effect of the clotrimazole cream will overcome any effect of polysorbate.

If you are worried about using clotrimazole cream, then use terbenafine cream (Lamisil) which controls malasezzia better than clotrimazole cream.

You may have candida fungal acne rather than malasezzia fungal acne, which is why I suggested clotrimazole cream. Clotrimazole cream is a broad spectrum antifungal cream which will cntrol both malasezzia and candida, but not as well as the specific antifungal creams - ie, Terbenafne controls malasezzia and nystatin controls candida better than clotrimazole does.

I cannot stress strongly enough that you MUST apply topical antifungal cream to control fungal acne. Buy some terbenafine cream (Lamisil) and apply that to the areas with "acne". If the terbenafine cream does not start to control the "acne" within 10 days or so, get back to me.

MemberMember
(@lulu1)

Posted : 07/16/2019 11:54 am

So i've used clorimazole cream andthere are some white underneath bumps that still wont budge. In the meantime I' ve got 7 new cytic pimples just on the right side of the face. It hurts like hell and I feel miserable don't know what to do next.

What's with acne only on one side of the face? I reguraly change pillows and face towel, I don't talk on the phone on that side, I do not touch my face and dont sleep on that side.... But always seem to have most of my acne on right side.

MemberMember
(@aussie-scientist)

Posted : 07/16/2019 7:19 pm

Lulu

Has the clotrimazole helped control the acne at all ? Have you been using terbenafine cream (Lamisil or similar) together with the clotrimazole cream ? Terbenafine cream controls malasezzia beter than clotrimazole.

Given you are only getting a small (?) response to clotrimazole, I suggest you buy some azaleic acid lotion (The Ordinary makes one that is not too expensive), and apply that with the clotrimazole cream. The azaleic acid lotion will help control the inflammation and it is also antifungal.

Eurax cream, if you can get it, is also useful for controlling fungal acne and it also controls inflammation.

Are you still taking birth control pills ?? If so, they could/will be exacerbating the fungal problems.

I am happy to hear how things go with the azaleic acid lotion and the Eurax cream plus clotrimazole and terbenafine cream.

Fungus sometimes only colonises one area of skin.

Standard statement - I have spent over 2,500 hours reading scientific papers about fungal acne and gram negative acne, and I have extensive experience with fungal acne, in particular. I am a scientist (not a medical doctor). I provide information based on my extensive experience with fungal acne, and some experience with gram negative acne.

MemberMember
(@lulu1)

Posted : 07/17/2019 4:38 pm

I think it's combination of fungal acne and something that triggers my cystic acne. Overnight I got 7 deep huge acne but just on my right cheek area. When I say overnight I meen literaly overnight :/

I dont use acids over the summer

MemberMember
(@aussie-scientist)

Posted : 07/18/2019 8:24 pm

Lulu

Azaleic acid lotion is not acidic. It is not an "acid" in the usual sense of the word. I suggest you try applying it - it is very good. Azaleic acid should clear your problem, especially together with Eurax cream and terbenafine (Lamisil) cream.

I strongly suggest that you buy these and apply them.

Fungal acne is often/usually cystic.

MemberMember
(@lulu1)

Posted : 07/19/2019 10:10 am

Ok, thank you so much for the advice, I'll try it! At home I have salicylic acid and mandelic (both from ordinary) would they help?

I will also see a dermatologist, eventhough in the past they were not much of help!

MemberMember
(@podo)

Posted : 07/20/2019 9:59 pm

I also sometimes get a bunch of huge cysts (concentrated on one side of the face) overnight... And I can never figure out what caused it to flare so suddenly. For now I'm trying to use antifungals (Lamsil, antidandruff and a bifonazole anti fungal cream). Seems to be clearing some of my jaw/neck/chin cysts but I can't say for certain yet...

MemberMember
(@aussie-scientist)

Posted : 07/20/2019 10:02 pm

Podo

I don't think bifonazole will do much good against fungal acne, but it won't do any harm..... See my post on your other thread for my recommendations.

Standard statement - I have spent over 2,500 hours reading scientific papers about fungal acne and gram negative acne, and I have extensive experience with fungal acne, in particular. I am a scientist (not a medical doctor). I provide information based on my extensive experience with fungal acne, and some experience with gram negative acne.

Thanks Lulu

Dermatologists don't know about fungal acne, so they are unlikely to be of any help. Most dermatologist just prescribe antibiotics and other treatments which make fungal acne worse (or cause it to occur)

I STRONGLY suggest that you buy AZALEIC ACID LOTION and apply it to the affected areas of your skin - it is really good. Azaleic acid is totally different from salicylic acid and mandelic acid. You can get azaleic acid lotion from "The Ordinary"

Azaleic acid with Eurax cream and terbenafine (Lamisil) cream should clear your problem.

Azaleic acid should clear your problem, especially together with Eurax cream and terbenafine (Lamisil) cream.

MemberMember
(@pino84)

Posted : 02/24/2023 11:03 am

Posted by: @aussie-scientist

Podo

I don't think bifonazole will do much good against fungal acne, but it won't do any harm..... See my post on your other thread for my recommendations.

Thanks Lulu

Dermatologists don't know about fungal acne, so they are unlikely to be of any help. Most dermatologist just prescribe antibiotics and other treatments which make fungal acne worse (or cause it to occur)

I STRONGLY suggest that you buy AZALEIC ACID LOTION and apply it to the affected areas of your skin - it is really good. Azaleic acid is totally different from salicylic acid and mandelic acid. You can get azaleic acid lotion from "The Ordinary"

Azaleic acid with Eurax cream and terbenafine (Lamisil) cream should clear your problem.

Azaleic acid should clear your problem, especially together with Eurax cream and terbenafine (Lamisil) cream.

I stumbled across this post and noticed you wrote bifonazole as not recommended. May I ask why you suggest this over clotrimazole and terbinafine?

Ketoconazole 2% shampoo has shown some benefits, but Bifonazole has been very effective and would even say better than terbinafine and ketoconazole. It reduces inflammation fantastically too.

For some reason Azelaic Acid doesnt work for me. I tried Finacea gel to start for 4 weeks and noticed it was making any existing spots worse. It led to PIE and then PIH. I see it as a HG online so decided to try the 20% Azclear cream and same problem. Even the potassium derivative didnt do much, although wasnt causing the problems Azelaic did.