Notifications
Clear all

Review My Skincare Routine!

MemberMember
(@mcnugget)

Posted : 06/23/2019 3:31 pm

I don't have access to a derm at the moment and would love opinions on my skincare routine!

Background:

• I mostly have oily skin, but would also describe my skin as combination because it does experience dryness (both out of nowhere and in reaction to things)
  • I have been on accutane and other prescription medicines, and will not be doing them again
  • I have acne scars and currently am looking to really get rid of my recurring pimples and calm those down before I proceed with scar treatment
  • Types of acne I have: papules, sometimes pustules, nodules, and I have had blackheads as well although not as much
  • Topicals and the classic ingredients such as salicylic acid and benzoyl peroxide have wrecked my face and done more harm than good for me personally
  • Transitioning back to a dairy free diet to see if that helps my skin

Current morning routine:

• Wash withKOSE SOFTYMO Speedy Cleansing Oil and cold water
  • Apply hyaluronic acid serum and niacinamide + zinc serum
  • Apply sunscreen
  • Moisturize with Pond's moisturizer

Night routine:

• If wearing makeup, remove with Neutrogena wipe, then rinse/wash withmicellar water
  • 2-3 times a week I apply either an Indian Healing Clay mask or a renewal mask (don't have it with me currently and can't remember the brand/name)
  • Again wash withKOSE SOFTYMO Speedy Cleansing Oil
  • Every 3ish nights following face wash I useThe Face Shop Jeju Volcanic Lava Pore Exfoliator Foaming Scrub as an exfoliator
  • Apply toner (currently using a Neutrogena one)
  • Apply hyaluronic acid serum and niacinamide + zinc serum
  • ApplyL'Oreal Paris Skincare Revitalift Anti-Wrinkle and Firming Eye Cream Treatment
  • Moisturize

Any recommendations you have would be greatly appreciated!

MemberMember
(@nouchka98)

Posted : 06/23/2019 4:37 pm

hello,

I also suffered from an acne which was a little similar to yours, until I also found a proper skincare regime.

so here are my opinions, based on years doing experimenting with skincare:

----morning: a cleasing oil is realing good because it dissolves any oil-based impurities and because it is very gentle, but you have to follow it with a very gentle gel cleanser (when i say gentle, i mean "non foaming"), especially because you have oily skin and because the oil cleanser can leave a residue behind. Personally, i love the ren evercalm cleanser. But the cerave gentle cleanser is a more affordable alternative.

your morning serum is a very good choice, in my opinion. Make sure your sunncreen is non-acnegenic and mineral, because chemical ones can cause further irritation to the skin. A good alternative is to buy a mineral powder sunscreen, i think colorscience has one, but i am not sure.

___evening: I think the wipes are not a good choice because wipes in general have a lot a harsh surfactants which can irritate the skin. You could just do again the oil cleanser followed by a gel cleanser. (This is what i do, and it has made monders for my skin)

clay is good but if you use oil cleanser after, make sure to follow again with gel cleanser.

physical exfoliants are not good for you skin. They spread the inflammation and irritate the skin.

You said that salicylic acid didn't help your skin. But in general, derms recommend chemical exfoliants because they are more gentle and more effective (they penetrate the skin). Moreover, salicylic acid is oil soluble, so it is very good at clearing the pores. Maybe, try the ordinary salicylic solution followed with your zinc serum and moisturiser at night (5-10 min after, to let the SA work). An other option is paula's choice toner with bha (some people don't tolerate the ordinay one, for some reason). I think by doing that, your skin would not become flacky. I can assure you that chemical exfoliation is very important.

What kind of moisturiser do you use? Make sure it is non comedogenic and that is does not contain silicones in it, very important. (it is hard to find). Finding the right moisturiser can change the skin.

to finish, in general, toners are unecessary and ofter bad because they usually contain alcohol. You can skip this step or buy a thermal spray instead. This is what we use in France.

good luck!

MemberMember
(@foodforthought)

Posted : 07/09/2019 12:30 am

I agree I would drop the wipes and physical exfoliant.

I would trade in a gentle chemical exfoliant 3x a week, like The Ordinary's Lactic Acid.

Use an oil-free moisturiser like Face Theory's Oil-free.

If you niacinamide serum has many ingredients in, consider swapping for The Ordinary's, which also has zinc and very little in it to bother skin. The Lactic Acid above also has HA if you'd miss that!

Also agree with dropping the toner if it has alcohol; is it necessary in your routine?

MemberMember
(@aussie-scientist)

Posted : 07/09/2019 6:48 pm

BE VERY CAREFUL using exfoliants - they break down the skin barrier and allow fungus and bacteria to invade pores.

I would NOT use any exfoliants on skin with any form of acne.

Also, be careful with organic oils - they feed fungal acne, which many people (unknowingly) have.