Notifications
Clear all

Started Roaccutane

MemberMember
(@weronika717)

Posted : 06/01/2019 4:39 pm

Hi All,

I am so new to this but I would really like to chat to people who are taking this medication and see their experience on it. I am a 24 year old woman. I always had few spots on my face but it was never really severe. After I had my daughter at 20 the acne started getting worse and spread to my back. At this stage my face still wasn't very bad , but my back got so much worse, and the acne would really hurt. When I was 22 I decided to see a GP first he prescribed Doxycycline and two topical creams benzol peroxide and adapalene , which cleared up my face a bit but myback stayed the same. I was on it for one year. I stopped taking it and my face worsened once again. At this stage I have done my research and came across Roaccutane, I wasn't as determined to take it back then and I think it was the fear of reading all those horror stories but I had this feeling in my gut that when I see the dermatologist that is exactly what she is going to put me on. I was right, she advised me that by looking at my face she wouldn't put me on Roaccutane but looking at my back, it would be her recommendation. She also advised me that she can put me on another antibiotic and a pill. I went with that option as at the time I wanted Roaccutane to be my last resort (I regret this decision now as I would have been over and done with the treatment now ). After 6 months of taking limecycline and a contraceptive pill , my acne hit my face with a vengeance and surprisingly cleared up my back. Looking at my face in the mirror, I knew something had to be done. I was now determined to go on Roaccutane.I went in for my consultation , was advised of all the common side effects, bloods were taken and 20mg Roaccutane was prescribed.

Month One:No major side effects as the dose was very low. My skin was less oily and my make up looked so matte, but it wasn't very try. I used Cerave hydrating cleanser and moisturizer, Avene Micellar water and Avene moisturizer and this Reform Vitamin B Gel ,and Carmex for my lips which did get very dry. I also noticed my hair being not so oily and I was able to go 3 - 4 days without washing it bearing in mind I used to wash my hair every 2 days , I was quite happy with that. I didn't get a nosebleed but I had some blood in my nose and I just used Neilmed nose gel to lubricate my nose. My eyes was my worst issue as they got very dry and sore and felt very heavy I used Hyloforte red eye drops which definitely helped. Oh and very strong back pain. Nothing to major. Unfortunately, my acne once again got worse. I had a strong feeling my dose will be increased, I was really hoping that 20mg would work for me as obviously the lower the dose lower the side effects.

Month Two(First Week): I went for my consultation. Doc was not happy with how my skin was not dry and how my face was looking and as I predicted the dose was increased to 40mg. In a way I was happy as I just thought to myself that maybe now my face will start improving (I really had a shitty month with my confidence reaching its lowest point ) but also terrified that my side effects would get worse. I bought some products for my hair as it has really gotten dry I purchased Kiehl's Magic elixir and some serums to make sure there is some grease in the hair and I also bought Biotin supplements to strengthen the hair. No major side effects , the same as Month One , the only difference was that my back pain has gotten more severe, to the point it hurt me so much to even turn sides when I was lying in bed. I developed bigger Adam's or Eve's apple whatever way you wanna call it but I also suffered with a really bad sinus infection so it could be because of that aswell. I have to wait and see when I finish my meds if it goes down a bit and I will mention it to my doc with the next appointment. Another difference was my mood and mental health itself. No suicidal thoughts or anything. Just feeling really low. I miss wine aswell I used to love just having few glasses of wine in the evenings and obviously I shouldn't be mixing it with tane so had to stop that and god I really need it now.

I would love to hear some stories from anyone who is on or has been on Accutane. Thank You for reading my post.

MemberMember
(@aussie-scientist)

Posted : 06/01/2019 10:40 pm

You probably now have fungal acne NO ordinary cne. Dry skin and sinus infection and "acne" that will not clear with treatments for ordinary acne are signs of fungal problems/acne. Fungal acne is caused by taking antibiotics, birth control pills and possibly by taking accutane. One often starts with ordinary acne - the antibiotics clear that but cause fungal acne. Then one takes accutane - problem gets worse and worse....

Do you have one or ore of the following - dandruff, seb. dermatitis, dry skin (yes), itchy acne, red rashes, unexplained tiredness, brain fog, headaches, irritable bowel syndrome, sinus problems (yes), toenail fungus, thrush?

If you get back to me with answers to these questions, I can provide information that should solve your problem/s. In the meantime keep the affected areas very dry - do NOT use any moistirisers or organic oils as these feed fungus.

The dry skin that you have is caused by the fungus (plus accutane). I would not take biotin as it can encourage fungus.

Topical antifungal creams, which are completely safe, should fix your skin problems. The other problems can be fixed (most likely) with oral Nilstat, which is safe. I would seriously consider stopping taking accutane - it is only making your problem worse and it has dreadful side effects.

Doctors are "in denial" about fungal problems (other than tinea and vaginal thrush) in otherwise healthy people, and lots of people suffer terrible problems from fungal conditions on their skin and in their gut, which can be fixed quite simply and safely, because doctors do not understand fungal conditions.

MemberMember
(@weronika717)

Posted : 06/02/2019 11:27 am

12 hours ago, Aussie Scientist said:

You probably now have fungal acne NO ordinary cne. Dry skin and sinus infection and "acne" that will not clear with treatments for ordinary acne are signs of fungal problems/acne. Fungal acne is caused by taking antibiotics, birth control pills and possibly by taking accutane. One often starts with ordinary acne - the antibiotics clear that but cause fungal acne. Then one takes accutane - problem gets worse and worse....

Do you have one or ore of the following - dandruff, seb. dermatitis, dry skin (yes), itchy acne, red rashes, unexplained tiredness, brain fog, headaches, irritable bowel syndrome, sinus problems (yes), toenail fungus, thrush?

If you get back to me with answers to these questions, I can provide information that should solve your problem/s. In the meantime keep the affected areas very dry - do NOT use any moistirisers or organic oils as these feed fungus.

The dry skin that you have is caused by the fungus (plus accutane). I would not take biotin as it can encourage fungus.

Topical antifungal creams, which are completely safe, should fix your skin problems. The other problems can be fixed (most likely) with oral Nilstat, which is safe. I would seriously consider stopping taking accutane - it is only making your problem worse and it has dreadful side effects.

Doctors are "in denial" about fungal problems (other than tinea and vaginal thrush) in otherwise healthy people, and lots of people suffer terrible problems from fungal conditions on their skin and in their gut, which can be fixed quite simply and safely, because doctors do not understand fungal conditions.

Hi Aussie Scientist,

Many thanks for your reply. I have researched fungal acne after I saw your comment. In my conclusion it's not fungal acne.

I have never had dry skin it's only in the last month when I started taking Roaccutane , my skin prior tothat was very oily. I have been suffering with sinuses for the last 14 years. No other symptoms from what you named above. Also, fungal acne is mostly whiteheads and red bumps and only found in the T Zone area, my acne is a bit of everything cysts, white heads blackheads etc and is found everywhereon the face which is not common with fungal acne.

That was just my own research and to be honest I have never heard of fungal acne before you mentioned it so bearing that mind I will mention it to my dermatologist as I read that there is some tests they can perform to confirm whether it is fungal , just to be on the safe side as the last thing I want to do is be taking Roaccutane when there is no need for me to take it.

I have seen three different dermatologist and two of them mentioned it was hormonal and one mentioned it was cosmetic. After the antibiotics , I was so embarrassed of all the spots so I used to put sudocream on my face (Biggest Mistake) ,and my current doctor reckons that's what made it worse as I blocked all my pores and in a way I agree with him as that's when myface did get worse while I kept applying sudocream and my back cleared completely while I was taking the antibiotics.

Thanks

MemberMember
(@aussie-scientist)

Posted : 06/02/2019 7:05 pm

Weronica

Fungal acne takes many forms. The best way to see if you have it is to use antifungal creams (which ARE COMPLETELY SAFE) and see if that fixes your problem.

Doctors know nothing about fungal acne, and fungal acne is very hard to test for. Fungal acne can occur anywhere and fungal acne is NOT JUST whitehrads and red bumps.

There are two sorts of fungal acne (candida acne and malasezzia acne) - the signs of fungal acne are ONE OR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING - red skin/rashes, pustules, whiteheads, blocked pores, itchiness, lesions,dry skin, dandruff, white tongue etc. - in other words the symptoms are fungal acne are the same as the symptoms of ordinary acne EXCEPT that fungal acne occurs AFTER TAKING ANTIBIOTICS, ACCUTANE, BIRTH CONTROL PILLS, ETC. AND FUNGAL ACNE DOES NOT KEEP GETTING BETTER WITH ORDINARY ACNE TREATMENTS (IT USUALY GETS WORSE AFTER A WHILE)

YOU CANNOT RECOGNISE FUNGAL ACNE FROM APPEARANCE.

FUNGAL ACNE IS CAUSED BY TAKING ANTIBIOTICS> YOUR SYMPTOMS ARE THOSE OF FUNGAL ACNE>

I BEG YOU TO TRY APPLYING CLOTRIMAZOLE ANTFUNGAL CREAM> YOU HAVE NOTHING GO LOSE AND EVERYTHING TO GAIN

AND FUNGAL ACNE CAN BE CAUSED BY HORMONAL PROBLEMS

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 06/08/2019 5:27 am

How are you keeping weronika. im currently on trimethoprim 600milligrams i have suffered terrible acne, inflammation, whiteheads over the years did u try salosylic acid 2 times a day morning and night. Have u any scars. once you have acne over the age of 25 you are likely to have it into your 30s and 40s.

MemberMember
(@weronika717)

Posted : 06/12/2019 9:03 am

On 6/8/2019 at 11:27 AM, Michelle waldron said:

How are you keeping weronika. im currently on trimethoprim 600milligrams i have suffered terrible acne, inflammation, whiteheads over the years did u try salosylic acid 2 times a day morning and night. Have u any scars. once you have acne over the age of 25 you are likely to have it into your 30s and 40s.

Hi Michelle,

I'm ok , other than I have been on this drug for nearly two months and no result other than the face got a bit worse. It is now a lot more inflamed, burning butnot really dry. I don't know if that's a good sign or not I will be seeing my derm next week so looking forward to getting some answers as I am just fed up at this stage. Yes I have tried salosylic acid and another topical cream ( can't remember the name), it didn't work well. Not many scars luckily, that's why the derm wanted to put me on Roaccutane, to avoid scarring. How are you getting on and how far into the treatment are you ?

MemberMember
(@weronika717)

Posted : 06/12/2019 10:31 am

Week 7 :

My skin still looks very bad there is no improvement. It feels hot to the touch and I get this burning sensation. It's so itchy after a shower , I literally feel like restraining myself so I don't scratch it.However my skin is not that dry. I'm not sure if that's a good sign as at this stage my face should be getting dry. I think my derm might be upping my dose to 60 mg, which I am scared of as there is more chances of me getting severe side effects , and I am so scared of that.I developed this rash all over my hands and legs which too gets itchy and its driving me crazy. I really can't wait to start seeing some difference on my face. It's a rollercoaster ride for sure.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 06/12/2019 11:49 am

Usually the drugs r very very slow working for acne. If u research how a spot forms it actually takes 12 weeks to form under the skin. So the tablets wont reach ur skin for 4 to 5 months. Whats the rash like r u sure its not excema. Roacctuanne is very intense drug. Alot of rules i avioded it thankfully but i have scars so it sucks maybe use differin gel i duno. Roller coaster ride 4 sure so fed up lol xxx

MemberMember
(@aussie-scientist)

Posted : 06/12/2019 10:21 pm

Weronica

Itchy skin usually means that you have a fungal skin problem (and accutane can make fungal acne and other fungal skin conditions worse), rather than a bacterial skin problem (as I have already advised you). BUT hot skin indicates staph infection, which is dangerous. Do you have itchy red spots ?