Notifications
Clear all

Advice needed on scars created by derma-rolling

MemberMember
(@merk)

Posted : 05/31/2019 6:50 am

Hey all,

I'm a 34 year old guy, never had really good skin but recently things got a whole lot worse. I had a 1.5mm dermaroller which I used for hair loss. I read somewhere that you could use it to help with pores as well. Without giving it much thought i decided to use it on my nose (beginning of February). The worst mistake anyone could ever make, so let this be a warning to be very cautious when dermarolling at home (on the nose). I feel so stupid for doing this, I want to turn back time and stop myself from even thinking this could be a good idea.

I went to the dermatologist and after examining he said that I created scarring on my nose by dermarolling too deep. This was pretty much what I expected but it left me devastated, I tried to help my skin but instead I ruined it. It was no longer inflammation because that should have healed by now. The dermatologist said the scarring might still heal a little bit in the upcoming months and we made a new appointment in november to evaluate and possibly try chemical peelings and/or fraxel. But for now I need to put it beside me.

I Already created a topic on the psychology subforum but I wanted to see if there is anything that can be done to "fix" my problem or that I'm stuck with it. Could any of this still heal the upcoming year? It's been 4 months now and I havent seen any healing, just the redness went away slightly.. I've gotten pretty depressed because of this and am getting therapy for this, because it isn't normal to be this upset over something this "minor".

Thank you in advance.

IMG_7279.PNG

IMG_7278.PNG

IMG_7277.JPG

MemberMember
(@beautifulambition)

Posted : 05/31/2019 9:36 am

@Merk

First of all this is a common problem. The nose is cartilage like the ear and not normal skin. This complicates healing. Sounds like you went too deeply and created damage as you said.

Find a Dr on the FAQ, pinned in the main scar treatments sub, bottom of that...

For the nose your treatments are tca cross to the biggest scared pores, co2 laser, fully ablative erbium resurfacing,

Things you can do at home are glycolic peels monthly, and use nightly a retinoid or tretinorin for cell turnover. Your issue is not a big deal , I help so many of the worst cases you can imagine daily, and they wish their skin would be half as good as yours... your skin can be improved, but might not be perfect.

The psychology thread sadly won't help you here, I would look into the app Talkspace, which offers unlimited therapy on the smart phone or another service(there are a few), this will be your hardest issue to face and you really do need that support right now.

Consult with a few derms that do cosmetic procedures and or plastic surgeons, ask if they do tca cross before you go, then pick the one you like.

MemberMember
(@merk)

Posted : 06/06/2019 4:23 am

@beautifulambition

Thank you for your reply. It gives me hope that something can be done, although I realise it will never be the way it was before and I am seeking counceling for that. Seems like it will take a long time to accept what has happened.

I don't think my derm can do TCA Cross, but i think he does regular TCA peels. You think with a few regular peels and nightly tretinorin this can still get a little better over the next 6 months? Or am I fooling myself thinking these type of scars can heal themselves..

MemberMember
(@beautifulambition)

Posted : 06/06/2019 10:31 am

@MerkI don't think that TCA peels will make it better, ... you want to spot treat the scar first. There are other derm's out there, of course he can try laser on your nose if you wish. Even the complicated cases never get pore free on the nose as it's such a hard area to treat, I don't know what country you live in but also look for a plastic surgeon who does punch excision if you wish.

Nightly tretinorin works on most places of the face, ... the nose is a toss up, try it out and see how you do.

Peels can sometimes open the pore up wider as the acid goes down slowly onto the layers. If he specializes with deep peels give it a try, weaker peels may not work for you. Sounds like your dermatologist is not the right person to see here.

I don't think they can heal themselves, ... they can be treated and softened. Many travel if they do not have a Dr nearby to see someone.

MemberMember
(@merk)

Posted : 06/06/2019 11:01 am

@beautifulambition I live in the Netherlands, do you have any suggestions nearby?

MemberMember
(@beautifulambition)

Posted : 06/06/2019 11:07 am

@MerkGo see Dr Emil he is in Denmark a train ride away or a cheap Ryanair flight

MemberMember
(@sibel)

Posted : 06/18/2019 10:25 am

In my case Dermapen with Chu created the same tiny holes and lines. It was just auwfull.. now in 5 months things are better, I still see the damage but it is not that noticeable, skin healed. So give it a time.. your situation is nothing like for many many people here really! I would have your skin with all the pores and this damage gladly. But if it bothers you and gives you discomfort- try to do smth about it. WithEmil you will have professional approach and normal discussion.

MemberMember
(@merk)

Posted : 06/20/2019 8:37 am

Thank you @Sibelfor your positive message. How long do you think I should wait before getting treatment? I gues getting TCA cross or a deep peel wouldn't be recommended during the summer anyway? My local derm said to give it at least until november.. but tbh i haven't seen much healing since it happened 4 months ago.

MemberMember
(@kman101)

Posted : 06/23/2019 8:04 am

Do you have any before photos? Looks like quite a standard nose skin to me many people have enlarged/scarred pores on their nose as it is an oily area. Me included mine looks very similar to yours and i wouldn't list it in the top 50 things I am concerned about my appearance.

It could be that you only notice it now,afteryou did something to the area.

Overall, looks very minor and I would think time's healing effects plus something to take your mind off it are the only sensible treatments.

MemberMember
(@merk)

Posted : 06/24/2019 9:36 am

On 6/23/2019 at 3:04 PM, kman101 said:

Do you have any before photos? Looks like quite a standard nose skin to me ” many people have enlarged/scarred pores on their nose as it is an oily area. Me included ” mine looks very similar to yours and i wouldn't list it in the top 50 things I am concerned about my appearance. 

It could be that you only notice it now, after you did something to the area.

Overall, looks very minor and I would think time's healing effects plus something to take your mind off it are the only sensible treatments.

Hi @kman101

I added a before foto. Also 2 more pictures that might give a clearer view of the problem. I know the lighting is very different but I hope you can see what I mean. It's making me feel so depressed at this moment, but there are more factors in my life that aren't really helping. I hope some day I can smile in pictures again.

Before it was more like big pores, now it looks like a warzone with very uneven texture and weird "lines", depressed and slightly raised areas..

IMG_7615.PNG

IMG_7613.PNG

IMG_7612.PNG