Notifications
Clear all

What kind of acne do I have?

MemberMember
(@jimdevl)

Posted : 05/30/2019 1:08 pm

Good afternoon so I posted January of this year or my minor acne and things have definitely taken a trip for the worst so I am not sure what I should do. Treatments or anything I would appreciate it. Right now I am using a soap with sulfur but I don't see any difference now. Also what kind of acne is this? I am leaning towards hormonal considering I'm 18 and to be honest puberty hit relatively late.

IMG_20190530_190351.jpg

IMG_20190530_190359.jpg

IMG_20190530_190409.jpg

MemberMember
(@aussie-scientist)

Posted : 05/30/2019 8:37 pm

You may have fungal acne, not ordinary acne. Have you taken antibiotics ? Do you have dandruff ? Do you have a white tongue ? If you get back to me with answers to these question, I may be able to help you.

Antibiotics and some other meds cause fungal acne in otherwise healthy people.

MemberMember
(@jimdevl)

Posted : 05/31/2019 2:05 pm

17 hours ago, Aussie Scientist said:

You may have fungal acne, not ordinary acne. Have you taken antibiotics ? Do you have dandruff ? Do you have a white tongue ? If you get back to me with answers to these question, I may be able to help you.

Antibiotics and some other meds cause fungal acne in otherwise healthy people.

I have not taken any antibiotics, I do have dandruff but not to a massive extent. I have slightly white tongue towards the back end of the tongue. Tbh I am pretty positive I have not taken anything.

MemberMember
(@aussie-scientist)

Posted : 05/31/2019 10:34 pm

OK, buy some topical clotrimazole antifungal cream (Canesten or similar)) and apply that to the affected areas. If you can get it without a prescription, you cansalso buy some terbenafine antifungal cream (Lamisil) and mix that with the clotrimazole cream, and apply the mixture to the affected areas. Also, wash your hair in an antifungal shampoo.

See how you go with that regime. I am happy to hear back from you.

MemberMember
(@jimdevl)

Posted : 06/01/2019 6:20 am

7 hours ago, Aussie Scientist said:

OK, buy some topical clotrimazole antifungal cream (Canesten or similar)) and apply that to the affected areas. If you can get it without a prescription, you cansalso buy some terbenafine antifungal cream (Lamisil) and mix that with the clotrimazole cream, and apply the mixture to the affected areas. Also, wash your hair in an antifungal shampoo.

Ok I will buy it by the end of next week and I will keep posting updates on this thread thanks :)

MemberMember
(@aussie-scientist)

Posted : 06/01/2019 9:54 pm

Thanks.

MemberMember
(@jimdevl)

Posted : 06/18/2019 5:07 pm

On 6/1/2019 at 4:34 AM, Aussie Scientist said:

I'm in week 2 and according to my family it is clearing up. I will post pictures hopefully this week. I'm guessing I'll have to stick with this for around 4 weeks.

MemberMember
(@aussie-scientist)

Posted : 06/18/2019 6:35 pm

Jim

That is so good. Yes, keep going with applying the antifungal creams. After the "acne" clears you will probably still need to apply antifungal creams once a week or so...

MemberMember
(@jimdevl)

Posted : 06/19/2019 6:36 pm

On 6/19/2019 at 12:35 AM, Aussie Scientist said:

Jim

That is so good.  Yes, keep going with applying the antifungal creams. After the "acne" clears you will probably still need to apply antifungal creams once a week or so...

Alright will do :)

00000IMG_00000_BURST20190620003453105_COVER.jpg

MemberMember
(@jimdevl)

Posted : 06/30/2019 4:57 pm

First pic was two days ago and second was today. I'm not sure if I'm seeing progress though.

IMG_20190629_025844.jpg

IMG_20190630_225509.jpg

MemberMember
(@aussie-scientist)

Posted : 06/30/2019 8:30 pm

Jimdevl

See how things go after another week. See if you can buy topical nystatin cream (sold as mycostatain or similar) and apply that together with the terbenafine and clotrimazole cream. You might have both candida and malasezzia fungal acne. Nystatin cream is best for treating candida fungal acne.

Let me now how things go.

MemberMember
(@jimdevl)

Posted : 07/11/2019 11:00 am

On 7/1/2019 at 2:30 AM, Aussie Scientist said:

Jimdevl

See how things go after another week. See if you can buy topical nystatin cream (sold as mycostatain or similar) and apply that together with the terbenafine and clotrimazole cream. You might have both candida and malasezzia fungal acne. Nystatin cream is best for treating candida fungal acne.

Let me now how things go.

I cannot seem to find anytopical nystatin creamin the UK. Any ideas?

MemberMember
(@aussie-scientist)

Posted : 07/11/2019 7:09 pm

Jimdevl

Thee are some ways of getting nystatin powder legally in the UK, I think. You can mix the nystatin powder into the other antifungal creams.

But before we go down that pathway - can I ask - how is your skin going with the clotrimazole and terbenafine creams ?? Are you seeing progress ? Or has it stalled, ie, no progress ?

MemberMember
(@jimdevl)

Posted : 07/12/2019 2:57 pm

19 hours ago, Aussie Scientist said:

Jimdevl

Thee are some ways of getting nystatin powder legally in the UK, I think. You can mix the nystatin powder into the other antifungal creams.

But before we go down that pathway - can I ask - how is your skin going with the clotrimazole and terbenafine creams ?? Are you seeing progress ? Or has it stalled, ie, no progress ?

It has gotten worse as the picture j just took looks like. I don't know how to get Nystatin in the UK to be honest but j did buy more terbenafine and a different clotrimazole brand (canesten).

IMG_20190712_205527.jpg

MemberMember
(@aussie-scientist)

Posted : 07/12/2019 10:50 pm

Jimdevl

See how you go for another few days with the canesten and terbenafine creams. If no response then you will either need to use nystatin, which you can obtain in the UK as a powder (I can advise how to do this) OR consider whether you have ordinary acne.

How often are you applying the antifungal creams ?

MemberMember
(@jimdevl)

Posted : 07/13/2019 7:23 pm

20 hours ago, Aussie Scientist said:

Jimdevl

See how you go for another few days with the canesten and terbenafine creams. If no response then you will either need to use nystatin, which you can obtain in the UK as a powder (I can advise how to do this) OR consider whether you have ordinary acne.

How often are you applying the antifungal creams ?

If you can advise me how to get Nystatin powder that would be really helpful and I apply morning sometimes afternoon and night before I go to bed.

MemberMember
(@aussie-scientist)

Posted : 07/13/2019 9:27 pm

Jimdevl

You can get the Medistan at the URL below - this is a US company but it has a UK distributor.

Address:
Pharma Pigeon Products UK
Frogmore Industrial Estate Acton Lane
Park Royal
London NW10 7NQ
United Kingdom
Free Phone in English:

Mix the medistatin powder with the clotrimazole and terbanafine creams and apply the mixture at night/afternoon - the mixture will be a bit yellow (the yellow washes off one's skin), so maybe just use the clot and terb creams during the day.

https://www.pigeonsproducts.com/index.php?route=product/search&search=medistatin

I am happy to hear how things go.

Standard statement - I have spent over 2,500 hours reading scientific papers about fungal acne and gram negative acne, and I have extensive experience with fungal acne, in particular. I am a scientist (not a biomedical scientist), and I am not a medical doctor. I provide information based on my extensive experience with fungal acne, and some experience with gram negative acne.