Notifications
Clear all

ACCUTANE FOR PERSISTANT ACNE

MemberMember
(@whiskey1)

Posted : 05/24/2019 3:22 pm

Hi Guys,

Bit of a back story before my question. 25yo Male here and had persistent moderate acne since around 18. Exhausted all options with skin care routines and prescribed antibiotics like lymecycline and trimethoprim SO! I want to go on Accutane. How easy is it to get, obviously i know it's more prescribed to people with severe acne which i know mine is not. Is it more guaranteed to be prescribed it if you pay and go private? If so what are the costs? I am awaiting an appointment with an NHS dermatologist but am worried they may not think mine is bad enough to prescribe me it.

Thanks!

MemberMember
(@rapid714)

Posted : 05/24/2019 8:46 pm

Hello, I am a 15yo male who just got off accutane. Tbh idk exactlyhow long I have been on it, at least a year though, probably a little over.

Idk about anything financially but it is not that hard to get. If you really want it, most derms will give it to ya... Be aware that there are many side effects for this drug... If you have depression currently dont take this at all.

MemberMember
(@whiskey1)

Posted : 05/25/2019 7:05 am

Thanks for your reply, have been researching this medication for a while now so I know it like the back of my hand Haha. How did it work for you?

MemberMember
(@weronika717)

Posted : 06/02/2019 11:58 am

Hi Whiskey 1,

I'm currently on Roaccutane my derm prescribed it to me as I suffered with very persistent acne which didn't respond to antibiotics and topical creams and because there was a possibility of scarring. As far as I'm concerned if you tick all those boxes Roaccutane will be prescribed to you.

If you are covered under NHS for the visits and meds then that's fine. I live in Ireland and have to pay for the meds and my private health insurance covers 50% of the derm consultation, and then there is creams and moisturizers etc to help with the side effects so i's quite expensive for me.

If you have done your research then you are probably aware of all the potential side effects. I was so afraid of taking it and I still am as I'm only on month one , week one of the treatment and the possible side effects can still come.

It took me few months to make that decision and at that point I was desperate and was willing to risk trying it. Only time will tell.

Best of Luck,

MemberMember
(@aussie-scientist)

Posted : 06/02/2019 7:44 pm

Whiskey - with all due respect you have not tried using an antifungal cream to control your (what is likely to be) fungal acne. Fungal acne is caused by taking antibiotics and it mimics ordinary acne.

Fungal acne can be safely treated with topical antifungal crams.

Get back to me if you want more information.