Notifications
Clear all

So much information overload!!!

MemberMember
(@a18gen)

Posted : 05/20/2019 3:47 pm

Hello all. I recently went private to see a dermatologist after an ongoing battle with my skin and a lack of faith in NHS dermatologists. I came off the pill (Yasmin) in Oct, a few weeks later I started to get spots and bumps on my neck and jawline (I™d had issues on my jawline prior to stopping the pill which I suspected was mainly due to a stressful time I was going through and the affect that was maybe having on my hormones) but I had never suffered with any issues on my neck before, my back and shoulders had also become to feel œgritty, I was also starting to notice a few more spots around the back of my ears. I™ve been for dermalogica prescriptive facials in between getting glycolic and salicylic peels. A the problem wasn™t being solved with anything I was doing, sometime suggested a private derm. The dermatologist said I had an issue with acne, mostly closed comodones. I™ve been prescribed differin gel, on an evening... ease it in to my routine and if I™m ok kick off with it every night. Wash with Dermol, and 500mg of erythromycin antibiotic. The derm said I could use my usual cleansing balm to take my make up off if needed. Usually my evening routine is Clinique take the day off balm/Emma hardie moringa cleansing balm (when feeling flush) sometimes followed up with dermalogica clay cleanser and sometimes dermalogica daily exfoliant when I felt like I wanted to exfoliate. The moisturiser I was recommended to use by a lady I was seeing for chemical peels is Karin Herzog Oxygen normalising cream. I know this isn™t advisable to use alongside the Differin gel (The composition is Aqua, Petrolatum, Glyceryl stearate, Paraffinum liquidum, 2% Hydrogen peroxide, Stearyl alcohol, Cetyl alcohol, Polysorbate 80, Salicylic acid) and I read on the Differin FAQ not to use anything with alpha hydroxy, salicylic or glycolic acids ( https://www.differin.com/learn/faqs ); so no more peels for me. From looking online (fatal) I™ve been reading some conflicting information about Differin and how to apply it. My derm didn™t mention about when and what moisturiser to use, so I™ve been trying to find one that would be appropriate for the possibly dryness I™ll experience with Differin. I watched the YouTube channel of Dr Dray today, and my Derm didn™t tell me half of the content that was mentioned in the YouTube video. I also didn™t really know what questions to ask when I went either. 

Side note: I was prescribed skinoren Azelaic and hydrocortisone creams by my NHS gp before I went to see private  Derm.

I guess to sum up: I™m looking for a little advice regarding what moisturisers to use alongside the Differin and also application of Differin alongside other products and in what order. Dr Dray says moisturise before Differin and other sites say moisturise 30mins after so as not to dilute the Differin.

Any help/anecdotes will be greatly received. I™ve attached some photos, two I had lazily applied some concealer over the spots to show the shadows of the bumps.

EBEAD024-EE75-4143-BC0C-BBA34BB3DB9E.jpeg

58208AC0-B3D7-4C94-BCA8-2AEC5E9D23B1.jpeg

B03F0C48-ADB0-4947-AF59-F68CC86BDD81.jpeg

7808F24E-B6BF-4124-B6FA-924C0BCC2923.jpeg

A23FA754-A853-483E-91F7-2DB636D6670F.jpeg

C61148FF-8FD7-4318-8DFD-1EA3DAF43DBB.jpeg

73CB7CF8-0FDA-4CC2-AC9F-CF2A4D1F70AC.jpeg

MemberMember
(@aussie-scientist)

Posted : 05/20/2019 9:02 pm

If you have taken the pill, or antibiotics, then you very likely have fungal acne, not ordinary acne. The treatment for fungal acne is topical antifungal creams such as clotrimazle cream (canesten).

Using hydrocortisone cream for more than a few days can also cause fungal acne.

Do you have dandruff ? Do you have a white tongue ?

In the meantime, do not use any moisturiser except the Karin Herzog Oxygen normalising cream, which is safe to use. Moisturisers feed one type of fungal acne and all fungus LOVES moisture.

Do NOT use erythromycin on your skin UNLESS you are ALSO using an antifungal cream. The erythromycin by itself will make your problems worse and worse (because it is an antibiotic which destroys "good" bacteria which control fungus). Do not have peels done to your skin or any exfoliation. These will open up pathway for the fungus to attack your skin. I would NOT use Diferin until we establish which type of fungus you have (from answers to the questions about the the symptoms above).

If you get back to me with answers to the above questions I can provide information that should control your problem.

Most doctors and dermatologists have NO IDEA about fungal acne and they prescribe treatments that make the problem worse ...

I look forwards to hearing back from you.

MemberMember
(@a18gen)

Posted : 05/21/2019 5:24 am

8 hours ago, Aussie Scientist said:

Do you have dandruff ? Do you have a white tongue ?

I don't have either of the above.

The bumps have more of a hardened oil in them, and sometimes if they're coming to a head there isa whitehead.

MemberMember
(@aussie-scientist)

Posted : 05/21/2019 7:01 pm

A 18 gen

Notwithstanding no dandruff and no white tongue, I would still apply an antifungal cream to the affected areas and see if that solves the problem because you most likely have fungal acne caused by taking Yasmin, and then exacerbated by antibiotic and hydrocortisone creams.

Antifungal creams are totally safe. You have everything to gain and nothing to lose by applying an antifungal cream to the affected areas. There is a reasonable to very good chance that doing so will solve your problem.

The problems with your skin are almost cetainly caused by taking Yasmin (which causes fungal outbreaks) and then exacerbated by using antibiotics and hydrocortisone (which also cause fungal outbreaks).

Start by applying clotrimazole antifungal cream, which is available without prescription and is often sold as canesten. Don't apply the erythromycin while you are applying the antifungal cream. Do NOT use any moistrusers as moisturisers feed fungus.

I would use an antidandruff shampoo (even though you don't have dandruff) because antidandruff shampos are antifungal. If it is not too irritating you can use the antidandruf shampoo on your skin as well as on your scalp.

I am happy to hear how things go after a week or so of applying the antifungal cream.