Notifications
Clear all

My Epiduo & Clindacne journey

MemberMember
(@ranlosin)

Posted : 05/15/2019 2:52 pm

Hello,

I'm 26 yo old male, im suffering from acne for about 9 years now, always in the area of mouth and chin my forehead is for example 100% clean all of this time. The first treatment i had was with accutane when i was 17-18 yo, it really helped me but unfortunately it came back after 3 years... soo i started another treatment with other dermatologist he said accutane is trash and destroy liver and i should take it in the last resort, soo he guide me to start treatment with chemical acids and epiduo (at the end of treatment as i remember i used acnatac) it took about 3-4 months to get my skin clean. Until this time it was ok until now, the shit came back and i think i will never cure it 100% cuz it allways be back like a fcking boomerang (convice me that im wrong).

Enough of the past... now my treatment is:

- Clindacine at morning 

- Moisturizing cream at evening

- Epiduo forte before go to bed

Actually im on day 36 (started at 9th April) and my skin is still purging. Sorry i dont have the pics before i started treatment i wish i could see my skin at the begin now... but i tihnk its better then before.

1 week ago i was on control visit with my dermatologist he advice me to take tetralysal... but opinions on this medicine is really bad and i dont think my skin in so bad condition that i need to take something like this, so i decided not to take it (maybe i will regret it or maybe not) i believe in epiduo. I will try to keep this diary updatee maybe it will help someone.

forum1.jpg

forum2.jpg

MemberMember
(@aussie-scientist)

Posted : 05/16/2019 2:55 am

You most likely have fungal acne caused by taking or using antibiotics., and exacerbated by using moisturisers. One type of fungus that causes fungal acne FEEDS on the organic oils in moisturisers. And both types of fungus that cause fungal acne LOVE moisture.

If you get back to me with answers to the following questions I can provide information that will likely treat your problem. Do you have a white coating in your tongue ? Do you have dandruff ? or seborhheic dermatitis ? Have you taken/are you taking antibiotics and/or using topical antibiotic cream ? If so (I think the answer is yes to this question).

I think purging is a myth. What people call purging is most likely fungal acne taking over from ordinary acne as a result of taking or using antibiotics. People start with ordinary acne - that is treated with antibiotics - THEN the fungal acne takes over. People keep applying taking antibiotics and the (fungal) acne gets worse and worse. So you are right - the problem iS like a boomerang (because of incorrect diagnosis of the fungal acne and therefore incorrect treatment for the problem). The medical profession is mostly "in denial" about fungal acne.

I can advise you which topical antifungal cream/s to use when I hear back from you with answers to the above questions. In the meantime, do NOT use any moisturisers or organic oils on your skin. Keep the affected areas very dry. Don't touch the affected areas without washing your hands first. Dry the affected areas on a special, clean towel or on disposable paper towels.

And buy an antidandruff shampoo and use that on your scalp and let the "suds" run across your face. Antidandruff shampoos are antifungal, because dandruff is caused by malasezzia fungus (which causes acne like symptoms, as candida fungus does also). You can wash you face in antidandruff shampoo if it is not too irritating.

I'll provide more information about how to control fungal acne (which you very likely have) when I hear back from you.

Ranlosin liked
MemberMember
(@ranlosin)

Posted : 05/16/2019 3:52 am

Hi @Aussie Scientist,

Thank you for reply, your feedback means a lot to me. I'm taking the Clindacine (Klindacin T) cream that have antybiotic. And i'm using the
moisturises cream called Kracnyl repair ducray its dedicated for drying skin treatment of acne, how could i stop using it while using Epiduo forte? It will burn
my skin but maybe i will try... so shold i also stop using Clindacine?

Answers for your questions:

Do you have a white coating in your tongue ?
-Yes i have

Do you have dandruff?
-No i don't probably becouse im using antidandruff shampoo all the time

Do you have seborhheic dermatitis?
-Before treatment i had 2 symetric red area near my nose soo i believe yes i had, the dermatologist told me to buy Primafucort for this (as i know its anti fungal cream) i used it for 6 days twice a day and red spots disappeared

Have you taken/are you taking antibiotics and/or using topical antibiotic cream?
-Yes antybiotic cream Clindacine

I can advise you which topical antifungal cream/s to use when I hear back from you with answers to the above questions. In the meantime, do NOT use any moisturisers or organic oils on your skin. Keep the affected areas very dry. Don't touch the affected areas without washing your hands first. Dry the affected areas on a special, clean towel or on disposable paper towels.

And buy an antidandruff shampoo and use that on your scalp and let the "suds" run across your face. Antidandruff shampoos are antifungal, because dandruff is caused by malasezzia fungus (which causes acne like symptoms, as candida fungus does also). You can wash you face in antidandruff shampoo if it is not too irritating.

OK, i will adapt to the tips, i believe from now on you're my dermatologist, im waiting for your answer about antifungal cream its interesting.

MemberMember
(@aussie-scientist)

Posted : 05/16/2019 9:15 pm

I am not a dermatologist but I have spent more than 2,500 hours reading scientific and other information about fungal acne. Fungal acne is caused by taking antibiotics (and possibly by topical use of antibiotic creams), plus using/taking some other meds

From your symptoms and the fact that the the primacort cream cleared the red patches on your skin, your "acne" is most likely caused by candida (indicated by white tongue). Primacort contains nystatin which kills candida.

I suggest that you stop using the Epiduo - stopping this will not do any harm. Instead of using Epiduo - apply an antifungal cream to the affected areas. I would start by applying clotrimazole cream, which is cheap and readily available. If the clotrimazole cream does not start to reduce the "acne" after a few days, buy some nystatin cream (mycostatin or similar) and terbenafine cream (lamisil or similar) and apply them together to the affected areas.

Do not use any moisturiser or organic oils on the affected areas of your skin. You can apply tea tree or eucalyptus to specific spots on a cotton bud (q tip) if you wish - this will sting a bit. Tea tree oil and eucalyptus oil contain antifungal ingredients which overide the effect of the "oil". Keep your skin dry - you can dust it with corn (maize) flour at night, if you wish. Cornflour is mildly antifungal and will help to keep your skin dry.

Nystatin treats candida. Terbenafine treats malasezzia. I suspect thst you only have candida, but thee is no harm in applying terbenafine cream along with the nystatin cream, in case you have both fungi. Clotrimazole cream treats both candida and malasezzia, but not as effectively as nystatin for candida and terbenafine for malasezzia.

Which country are you in ?

If you are ONLY using the the clindamycin cream for acne, I strongly suggest that you STOP using it, at least for a while - the clindamycin cream will be making your "acne" worse. Hang onto the clindamycin cream, in case you need to start using it again together with the topical antifungal cream, if there is any sign of a bacterial infection (indicated by pain, skin hotness, exudate).

Are you taking (orally, by mouth) any antibiotics ?

Start taking PRObiotics to help improve the good bacteria in your gut.

Use strict hygiene protocols to avoid getting a secondary staph infection on your skin. This is especially important because you won't be using antibiotic on your skin once you stop applying the clindamycin cream.

Wash your face (no more than twice a day) in chlorhexadine wash (sold as hibiclens in the US) with no or low alcohol. You can apply an antibacterial cream with chlorhexadine or cetrimide to the affected areas, if you wish, or if you cannot obtain chlorhexadine wash. ALWAYS wash your hands twice before touching the affected areas. NEVER touch your nose and then touch your skin. Most people carry staph in their nose. Dry the affected areas on a clean towel, which you only use for that purpose, or on disposable paper towels.

You are right NOT to take tetralysil. It is an antibiotic, so it would just make your skin worse and worse, and destroy your gut biota, and possibly cause another type of very nasty acne as a result of gram negative bacteria proliferating.

Don't eat gluten (wheat, barley or rye flour products, dairy products, sugar, preservatives, artificial flavours, or foods with yeast - I know this is odd, and I did not believe it but I think candida sensitises one to all yeast).

Keep using antifungal shampoo. If it does not irritate your skin, you can use the antifungal shampoo on the affected areas, after using the chlorhexadine wash.

I am happy to hear back from you after you have applied the topical antifungal cream/s for a week or so.

Ranlosin liked
MemberMember
(@ranlosin)

Posted : 05/17/2019 4:49 am

I'm slowly falling in depression i can't handle it anymore its just too much for me. Mentally im destroyed 90% of my thoughts is focused on my fucking face, im at the point where i'm literally terryfied go to even fucking shop, i don't eat i don't answer phone calls i just sitting in isolation in my room its driving me crazy.

I'm visiting to the best dermatolgy in my city, if i have a fungal acne how the fuck he can't diagnose it and give me proper treatment? i dont understand. Sorry but i have gone through long way using epiduo to just throw it off, i want to wait 1 more month if there will be no result then i will try the anti fungal treatment or ask my dermatologist opinion about that.

I'm living in Poland, and no i dont take any antibiotics by mouth. I stopped using Clindacene and i yesterday i didn't  use moisturiser cream and i'm washing my face with antifungal shampoo.

Sorry but i have a really hard dillema if i should start other treatment without consulting it with my dermatolgist. Maybe you are right about diagnose about my acne but i dont want heal myself on my own i hope you understand me.

Can i apply antifungal creams in morning instead clindacine and before go to bed use epiduo?

Edit: today i bought tea oil i will apply it tommorow morning instead Clindacene.

I also have found that research  https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/23336746/  Research shows that using aloe vera gel along with prescription retinol is more effective (greater tolerance, faster clearance of acne) than using retinol on it's own

so also bought aloe vera for moisturise is it good idea to use it? if yes how i should apply it before epiduo or after?

face update:

1.jpg

2.jpg

MemberMember
(@aussie-scientist)

Posted : 05/17/2019 10:25 pm

Dermatologists deny the existence of fungal acne in otherwise healthy people. They refuse to diagnose or treat it. This leads to much misery and major and serious skinproblems for people who keep being told to take or use antibiotics, which just make the problem worse and worse.

I BEG you to buy some nystatin antifungal cream (sold as mycostatin in many countries) and apply that to the affected areas of your face. Nystatin will control candida. I would stop using both the clindacin and the epiduo. They are not helping your problem, from what you have written, and both are likely to be making the problem worse.

Apply the nystatin cream 3-4 times a day, if possible. You can also apply diluted tea tree oil. That will help stop any secondary bacterial infections.

Get back to me after you have applied the nystatin cream for seveal days. I am fairly certain that your skin problems are caused by candida, but malasezzia might be causing problems also. You need a different antifungal cream to control malasezzia (terbenafine cream, often sold as lamisil).

Retinol will NOT fix fungal acne. I would not use any moisturiser for the present, because fungus loves moisture. Can you send me the list of ingredients in the aloe vera moisturiser.

Do you have unexplained tiredness, or unexplained headaches or feelings of disorientation (brain fog) ?? These are signs of candida.

I believe that people have to heal their skin problems themselves, because their skin problems are largely CAUSED or made worse by dermatologists continuing to prescribe antibiotics to people, when the antibiotics are clearly NOT solving the problem.

Topical antifungal creams are totally safe. I look forward to hearing back from you.

Ranlosin liked
MemberMember
(@ranlosin)

Posted : 05/18/2019 12:33 pm

I BEG you to buy some nystatin antifungal cream (sold as mycostatin in many countries) and apply that to the affected areas of your face. Nystatin will control candida. I would stop using both the clindacin and the epiduo. They are not helping your problem, from what you have written, and both are likely to be making the problem worse.

Apply the nystatin cream 3-4 times a day, if possible. You can also apply diluted tea tree oil. That will help stop any secondary bacterial infections.

I was on my local pharmacy they said they dont have such a cream, however i saw i can order it online. Why can't i just use primafucort instead?

Can you send me the list of ingredients in the aloe vera moisturiser.

Aqua, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Panthenol, Glycerin, Allantoin, Carbomer, Sodium Hydroxide, Ethylparaben, 2-bromo-2-nitropropane-1,3-diol.

Do you have unexplained tiredness, or unexplained headaches or feelings of disorientation (brain fog) ?? These are signs of candida.

No i didnt experienced any of thosesymptoms

MemberMember
(@aussie-scientist)

Posted : 05/18/2019 10:54 pm

You can use primafucort short term, as it contain nystain and natamycin (which is similar to nystatin). You should only use primafucort for a few days, because it contains hydrrocortisone, which suppresses your body's ability to fight the fungus. Using primafucort for a few days is fine, and the hydrocortisone in primafucort (which is a corticosteroid) will help control the inflammation from the candida, which is a good thing.

I assume that you have some primafucort ? If so, apply the primafucort 2-3 times a day to the affected areas for a week or so (no longer than two weeks that because of the hydrocortisone) and see how you go. If you get a good response after applying the primafucort for a few days, then buy some ordinary nystatin cream (without hydrocortisone) and apply that to the affected areas.

The aloe vera moisturiser is fine. It won't make the problem worse. The aloe vera moisturiser will be fairly alkaline (with the sodium hydroxide) which is not good for skin, though. You might want to add a few drops of of apple cider vinegar (not too much or it will sting) to the aloe vera moisturiser to make it less alkaline.

It is good that you don't have the tiredness etc. symptoms. That means that the candida is unlikely to be causing gut problems.

Nystatin cream, including primafucort has no action against bacteria, so be extremely careful to wash you hands before applying the cream or otherwise touching your skin. The last thing you want is a secondary staph infection.

You could buy some Savlon antiseptic cream and use that along with the nystatin cream to prevent secondary bacterial infections. If your skin gets hot (which is a sign of a staph infection) apply the Clindacene to the hot area. This will stop the staph infection. You should not get a secondary staph infection, if you use good hygiene procedures, - dry skin on clean towel, wash you hands in antibacterial wash before touching your skin, neve touch your nose and then touch your skin, wash your hands or use alcohol hand sanitiser after blowing your nose.

I look forward to hearing back from you after you have used the primafucort for a few days to a week.

Ranlosin liked
MemberMember
(@ranlosin)

Posted : 05/19/2019 2:00 pm

Today i have used primafucort once, from what i observed on my affected spots it created a tiny white bump (1 affected spot = 1 tiny white bump) and when i popped one it leaked constantly a transparent liquid i don't know if this is a good sign for still using it, what do you think? im worried a bit.

Is this ok to still use epiduo forte before go to bed? will it make worst when i will also be applying primafucort at evening? I want to combine epiduo with anti fungal cream in case i have a regular acne not fugnal, i want to attack with both antibacterial and antifungal treatment.

MemberMember
(@aussie-scientist)

Posted : 05/19/2019 7:34 pm

Ranlosin

I don't see any problems using epido with primafucort. Notwithstanding what I wrote before, it is probably quite a good idea to do this, because the epiduo will stop any secondary staph infection because epiduo is anti-bacterial. Epiduo will not encourage the fungus.

Don't worry about the white fluid. It is lymph. It is likely to be the body's response to the (fungal) infection in the spot. Put some tea tree oil and then some epiduo on the spot which is leaking the clear fluid. You can also put a dab of the primacort on the spot, as the hydrocortisone in the primacort will help stop the lymph flowing.

Was there any blood in the clear fluid ?

Make sure you wash your hands twice before touching the spots etc.

MemberMember
(@ranlosin)

Posted : 05/23/2019 12:28 pm

So i feel like it getting worse and worse (maybe i'm wrong i don't know). I'm at the point i have no idea what i can do more im also terryfied that my skin is getting worse because I put off Clindacine, my routine:

Morning: wash face with antidandroof shampoo, apply tea tree oil on spots

Later morning: apply primafucort

Evening: apply primafucort again

Before go to bed: wash face again with antidandroof shampoo and apply epiduo forte (i have made 2 days break becouse my face was burning red and peeling)

Mostly my spots are formed from a little tiny closed bumps to big red hurting bumps without white heads a and they can keep like that for 1 week and later leave discolouration forever:

image.png.e277f29b6acfad94cce4884fb64ee396.png

The worst thing that I'm experiencing is that I've started to be very frustrated and aggressive to everyone including family members I can't help it I haven't got clear skin since 6-7 months that made a really huge impact on my mental condition I considering visit some psychologist if things will not get better with my skin. 

On 5th June im visiting dermatologist for chemical peeling and I will probably show my conversation with you about fungal acne and I want her opinion about it.

Here is the photos with better quality I don't know why my right side is too much worse than my left side....

1hd.jpg

2hd.jpg

MemberMember
(@aussie-scientist)

Posted : 05/23/2019 7:18 pm

Ranlosin

I suggest that you stop using anti-dandruff shampoo on your face as it seems to be causing irritation. Just wash your hair in the antidandruff shampoo. Also, I would stop using the epiduo as it is very irritating.

Did the spots where you applied the tea tree oil become inflamed ?

Apply the primacort twice a day together with the clindacyne (in case you have a bacterial infection together with the fungal outbreak) and see how you go with doing that. Do NOT use moisturising ceam - I assume that you have stopped doing that.

I would also buy and apply some antifungal clotrimazole cream (Canesten) which you can get without a prescriptionand apply that together with the nyststin cream. You can also buy some terbenafine cream (sometimes sold as Lamisil) (if you can get it without a prescription) and add that to the mix of antifungal creams which you apply to your skin. Terbenafine targets malasezzia fungus, nystatin targets candida fungus and clotrimazole is a broad spectrum antifungal, with some antibacterial activity also.

I suspect you have candida AND malasezzia so it makes sense to treat both fungi.

Note that you will need to get some nystatin cream without hydrocortisone cream (or you can use clotrimazole cream - without hydrocortisone - with the terbenafine cream instead) after a week or so, because you should not use cream that contains hydrocortisone for more than one-two weeks.

On the big photos, the spots look like they are clearing to me. Do the spots heal after they go go from bumps to spots?

Given you have only been using the antifungal treatment for a few days - and you write that the the closed bumps go to big ed bumps and "they can keep like that for 1 week" - this process cannot be caused by changing the treatment because you have only been aplying he changed treatment for a few days.

From what you have said, your skin getting worse was happening BEFORE you started the antifungal treatment. Is that true ?

I would keep applying the antifungal cream/s (noting you will need to get nystatin cream without hydrocortisone soon) together with the clindayne (but no epiduo) and see how you go.

I would not have a chemical peel - that only opens your skin up to invasion by fungus and bacteria.

Pls do not show my posts to your dermatologist. Dermatologist do not like people taking responsibility for their own skin conditions. And most dermatologists deny the existence of fungal acne in otherwise healthy people, so the dermatologist is unlikely to be useful for what I strongly suspect is your condition.

Be VERY careful with psychologists - they are not necessarily very helpful.

I am happy to hear back from you. The antifungal cream/s (nystatin cream plus clotrimazole cream plus terbenafine cream) are very likely to solve your skin condition. Just keep applying them and see how you go.

I am happy to hear back from you.

And do NOT panic. Skin is very resilient.

MemberMember
(@ranlosin)

Posted : 05/25/2019 1:19 pm

@Aussie ScientistI appreciate your long messages and effort to help in my skin condition. My skin is not resilient it's still breaking out basically my patience has crossed line and I'm pretty sure I have regular acne like in the past.I've decided to to take Accutane and there is nothing that can stop me I don't fucking care anymore at least I will have 100% it will cure me. On the 5th I will ask dermatologist to give me receipt for it.

Thank you

EOT

MemberMember
(@aussie-scientist)

Posted : 05/25/2019 9:33 pm

OK, it is your decision

But be aware that if you have a white tongue, you do have an outbreak of candida..... and the accutane may make your condition worse.

But it is totally your decision. You are in charge of your life - good luck and my very best wishes for the future