Notifications
Clear all

Acne came back during 2 week accutane break - any chance of staying clear after reaching cumulative dosage?

MemberMember
(@amina1996)

Posted : 05/14/2019 2:53 pm

Hello, 

Due to bad side effects (bad facial eczema), I had to stop my accutane course at 86mg/kg (I was in month 4). During the first week I was off my side effect improved, however in the second week my acne started to come back. I was shocked and now worried about how quickly it started to come back - it was not like my usual acne (small whiteheads all over including neck where I have never broken out, when I normally have cysts and big whiteheads concentrated on the lower half of my face). 

My derm gave me the option of going back on accutane to reach my cumulative dosage if i could cope with the eczema. Just under a week ago I decided to start up again on the accutane, so I had a 2 week break. Alongside dealing with the horrible eczema and the fear of it scarring/causing permanent discoloration - I am now concerned that as soon as I come off accutane again, even after reaching the cumulative dosage my acne will come back? 

Being on the drug is emotionally and physically difficult due to this side effect and the thing that keeps me going is long term remission, 2months at 30mg I will reach 120mg/kg and I have enough medication for an extra month after that to reach 138mg/kg. I could increase to 40mg 

Does anyone have any thoughts on why I broke out so quickly, whether its a sign of my poor chances of staying clear, why the acne came back differently, and whether the 2 week break will have any negative effect on remission (derm says no but I still worry). 

thank you so much in advance :)  

MemberMember
(@aussie-scientist)

Posted : 05/14/2019 9:12 pm

You probably have fungal acne, or possibly gram negative foliculitis (ie, gram negative acne). Do you have dandruff ? Do you have a white tongue ? Have you taken antibiotics, and in particular, have you taken tetracycine or doxycycline ? I can provide more information if you get back to me with answers to these questions.

Fungal acne is caused by taking antibiotics generally (and/or taking birth control pills and/or a few other meds), and gram negative "acne" is caused by taking certain antibiotics, in particular teracycline and doxycycline