Notifications
Clear all

Help with severe scars please!

MemberMember
(@gk15410soap)

Posted : 05/10/2019 10:52 pm

I'm currently on my 4th month of accutane (20mg) and ive started to notice a lot of scarring and red marks. I plan to come off accutane in around a month or so. What are some treatments available for my scrs afterwards?

20190511_105659.jpg

MemberMember
(@beautifulambition)

Posted : 05/11/2019 9:50 am

@gk15410soapThis is actually very normal and not scarring. It's PIE or wounding post acne. When you are on tane it's often that that skin regenerates and heals, even 6 months to a year after your skin will be healing from the Accutane's effects and improve some.

For PIE while your on Accutane, speak to a practitioner about pulse dye laser. I would also have you use PCA hydroqunione free gel(amazon) nightly.

I cannot say about your scars afterwards as I really don't see any other than icepicks maybe which need tca cross several times. Perhaps some laser as well for the surface texture or some peels. Your case is not that bad, just red"PIE." That is the main treatment I would do now pulse dye laser. Then wait and see how the skin is 6 months after tane.

MemberMember
(@gk15410soap)

Posted : 05/11/2019 3:48 pm

12 hours ago, beautifulambition said:

@gk15410soapThis is actually very normal and not scarring. It's PIE or wounding post acne. When you are on tane it's often that that skin regenerates and heals, even 6 months to a year after your skin will be healing from the Accutane's effects and improve some.

For PIE while your on Accutane, speak to a practitioner about pulse dye laser. I would also have you use PCA hydroqunione free gel(amazon) nightly.

I cannot say about your scars afterwards as I really don't see any other than icepicks maybe which need tca cross several times. Perhaps some laser as well for the surface texture or some peels. Your case is not that bad, just red"PIE." That is the main treatment I would do now pulse dye laser. Then wait and see how the skin is 6 months after tane.

Thanks a lot for the response and recommendation! However, I did notice that I had a few raised scars (hypertrophic or keloid) on both cheeks. Will these go away on it's own or should I seek treatment for these as well? Also, is it safe to use a pulsed dye laser while I'm still on accutane? I heard that people have to wait a minimum of 3-6 months after accutane to get laser

MemberMember
(@beautifulambition)

Posted : 05/12/2019 8:08 am

@gk15410soapHypertrophic scars can clear on their own and your on Accutane, I would urge you to not over treat them until you see how they respond. Always consult a derm if you have any major concern.

Silicone liquid for scars or patches made for scars work even better. Try firstly a salicylic peel on them and then put the silicone on over night. IF that does not clear have your Dr inject them with steriod. Other treatments are freezing them CO2, or some laser.Your skin is prone to hyper-pigment, I would urge you to see a practitioner for treatment and you already have redness and sensitivity due to Accutane this could become worse if you treat them at home. Microneedling a hypertrophic scar will make it grow.

Yes Pulse dye laser can be used now by a experienced practitioner who agree's to doing it. This is mainly for resurfacing and more severe treatments, pulse dye laser can be done, ... but many"might" not do it because of the liability of complications while being on tane, Dr's don't like to take chances. Other good treatments you can do right now are sublative rf or ematrix is great for early scarring, or nonablative laser heating the skin to 40C 1064nm like laser genesis.OR just wait it out.