Notifications
Clear all

Pinpointed the Cause of my Cystic Acne

MemberMember
(@foodforthought)

Posted : 04/25/2019 8:39 pm

I've been eating healthily for a while now (and avoiding refined carbs, sugar, and dairy), but would sometimes still get the odd cystic spot or old spots would become re-inflamed again. It was really frustrating as I am so careful about food. However, I finally pinpointed it to coffee, with a really clear dose-dependent relationship. On the days I had over 200mg of caffeine my face was very inflamed by the evening.

As soon as I quit coffee my skin calmed down massively and cleared up. After a couple of weeks I was really happy with my skin again and told myself I could have an espresso a day. I wasn't able to stick to it and would often have two. I got a cystic spot again and old spots becameinflamed.

I have quit coffee again and my skin has totally cleared up and stayed that way.

I've been a daily coffee drinker for 15 years. At some points in time, Ihad been able to cut back to one (black) coffee a day and get clear skin through a high intake of green smoothies but this is really hard work just to be able to consume something that you like. I hadn't realised just how bad it was for my acne.

Coffee increases the body's hormonal stress response by 200% and the effects of caffeine last for 10+ hours and amplifythe blood-sugar response, so it makes complete sense.

I just wanted to share as I was becoming so careful about what I ate when the main culprit was my daily cup of Joe and giving it up was an easy fix (easy in results, not willpower!)

MemberMember
(@deades)

Posted : 04/27/2019 6:00 am

coffee is also a trigger for me. But I am on accutane and can have a single strong coffee 1x week without any breakout. Definitely worth reducing/eliminating