Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jirachi

What acne scars do I have and how to treat?

Posted (edited)

Hi everyone,

I've been wondering for awhile what kind of acne scars I have and the best way to get rid of them.

I inverted the pictures below so it would look like what I see in the mirror and how I actually style my hair. These were taken a month ago but they still look the same.

I think that I have a mixture of PIE and boxcar scars, but I'm not sure exactly what I have.

I circled some scars in particular that I would like to get rid of. The one circled on the front view on my forehead I got from acne that healed during my Retin-A Micro treatment a few months ago and has not gone away.

The smaller circle near my cheek is one that I got trying to remove this white spot I had there. Never knew what it was, but it came out and I've been stuck with those scars for years.

weirdwhitespot.jpg.c61411923f4e092abd67cca2f1a21a1e.jpg

Not sure if the bigger circle I made around it is scars or just large pores.

Front view:

myacnescarsfront.jpg.eb462e690c59db03e216d2494ae8879a.jpg

Left view:

myacnescarsleft.jpg.4e40eb333d63e47b3717cfb3f23884bc.jpg

Right view:

acnescarsright.jpg.30172d7aace7d3ebb72323e429cf13e7.jpg

Please let me know what you think. I'd like to know about the most effective solutions (even if they might not be cheap, preferably I'd like them to be), the most affordable ones, and anything that I could do at home to improve them. I've heard Azelaic acid might help with my PIE, although it's usually used for PIH.

Thank you very much!

Edited by Jirachi

@Jirachi

Everyone has these, scarred pores or little imperfections, this is a easy case, but will take some time at home or the Dr's version see a aesthetic dermatologist.

Have you tried at home doing glycolic spot peels and alternating monthly with dermastamping

There look small enough to do tca cross on or TCA paint where acid is painted on the scar floor 3X (dry -paint) at a lower concentration % of tca. That should help also called tca spot peel.

Otherwise a Dr would laser them (various options here including c02).

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, beautifulambition said:

@Jirachi

Everyone has these, scarred pores or little imperfections, this is a easy case, but will take some time at home or the Dr's version see a aesthetic dermatologist.

Have you tried at home doing glycolic spot peels and alternating monthly with dermastamping

There look small enough to do tca cross on or TCA paint where acid is painted on the scar floor 3X (dry -paint) at a lower concentration % of tca. That should help also called tca spot peel.

Otherwise a Dr would laser them (various options here including c02).

Would these methods apply for all of the scarring on my cheeks as well? What kind of scars do you think they are? Some of them show in the pictures as a darkish red. I feel like I've had them forever, since a year ago. I had bad acne and should have went to the dermatologist back then instead of trying to fight the acne with only over the counter products. I think they look the worst on my right cheek since that's the side I sleep on. Not sure if that matters but still. I really would love to get rid of them along with those scarred pores that you mentioned. How do pores even get that way if it's not from acne?

I haven't tried Glycolic spot peels, but I have used this in the past before starting Retin-A:

https://theordinary.com/product/rdn-aha-30pct-bha-2pct-peeling-solution-30ml

I haven't used it since due to fear of my face being overly sensitive, but I'm not sure if it did anything when I did use it. Would it be good to use this again for the scars? Would I skip a night of using the Retin-A and use that instead? My face is pretty tough but I wanted to play it safe anyway. Or what glycolic spot peel should I look into?

I'm definitely interested in something similar to dermastamping. Is there a cost effective option for dermastamping besides the Derminator, or should I invest in that? The needle replacements seem cheaper then to keep buying a new dermastamp device. Would I use 0.5mm needles or something like 1.0mm or 1.5mm?

TCA Spot peels seem like a good idea too. How much do those usually cost? I googled it and it only shows the cost for a full face peel. Not sure where I would be able to get that done in New Jersey. Maybe a full face peel would be better for the scarring on my cheeks as well? What is the safest way to do this at home? Start at 10-15%?

Thanks!

Edited by Jirachi

@Jirachi I do not see scarring on your cheeks, they must be very superficial. You circled the scars I thought you wanted addressed. By cheeks do you mean by the nose. 

On your cheeks I see hyperpigmetnation and some PIE which is wounding post acne (Redness), I do not see scars. IF you do have scars here please take better pictures please with a flashlight or directional lighting so I can see the shadows they make. Seriously your skin looks better than most cases I help here, I am afraid of giving you to much. When we treat there can be complications, I try to just treat the issue.

PIE is not scars. There is a whole section in the FAQ, main scar treatments sub, pinned there, goto the skin section and PIE. 

Yes the main treatment for PIE is time, healing can take up to a year to heal this. Vascular laser or pulse dye laser. Glycolic peels or retinoic acid peels for discoloration at home monthly. Retin-a/Tretinorin/Differin can help at night for cell turnover. Some dermastamp the area and this helps, but this depends on how you heal. 

Scarred pore can be from numerous things, but mainly from trapped sebum or over oilly skin. Also picking and popping. Some are genetically prone to large pores all over their face. You have very few and tca cross would be good in your case followed by resurfacing or peeling. 

If your very sensitive then you make make things worse with more treatments. Only treat the area of concern. 

Regarding the peels and your sensitivity, it's best if you do not handle the issue yourself if you can make it worse. Goto a Dr and have them do the peels for skin lightening or the most idea again is laser for your PIE.

Just buy the manual dermatamp on owndoc or amazon, see if you like it then buy the derminator. Often those who are sensitive I don't want to offer this as they can make things worse. You can always goto a Dr and have it done. TCA Cross and vascular laser I would target as treatments. 

Derminator you can adjust to any depth, ... yes you can start low and see how you do and then go to a longer depth. 

Many Dr's don't TCA Spot peel, also called paint on tca 3x coats of a lower % of tca inside the scar, instructions are in the acid peel guide pinned at the top of the scar treatments sub. In that case you would ask for tca cross. No idea of cost, this is a international site.

Look for TCA cross. Dr's are in the FAQ at the bottom.

Full face peels are only done at the end for textural issues, not for icepicks, boxcars, ... treat the individual scar first.