Older sufferers-wha...

Notifications
Clear all

Older sufferers-what age are you?

MemberMember
(@purpleamethyst)

Posted : 04/13/2019 3:12 pm

Im 41 and have had spots since I was 12. How old are you and when did you start getting acne?

MemberMember
(@vluz)

Posted : 06/04/2019 10:54 pm

I'm 35 and I still have issues with my acne. I hope one day just stop as it came.

MemberMember
(@aussie-scientist)

Posted : 06/05/2019 1:55 am

Vluz and Purple

You probably now have fungal acne, rather than ordinary acne.

Fungal acne is caused by taking antibiotics and/or birth control pills, some other meds, possibly accutane, to treat ordinary acne. Fungal acne is safely treated by applying topical antifungal creams to the areas with the acne symptoms.

Treatments for ordinary acne make fungal acne worse and worse.

Doctors never diagnose fungal acne.

If you get back to me with answers to the following questions I can provide information that will very likely fix your "acne" problems.

Have you taken antibiotics ? If so which ones. Have you taken accutane or (if female) birth control pills. Do you have one or more of he following - dry skin, seb dermatitis, cystic "acne", ingrown hairs, red rashes, itchiness, white tongue, dandruff, toenail fungus, sinus problems, irritable bowel syndrome, unexplained tiredness/headaches/"brain fog" ?

In the meantime, DO use an antifungal shampoo, DO keep the areas with "acne" very dry (do NOT apply moisturiser or organic oils as these encourage fungal acne) and DO buy clotrimazole topical antifungal cream (available without a prescription - often sold as Canesten) and DO apply the antifungal cream to the affected areas 2-3 times a day. Topical antifungal creams are totally safe.

Also, do NOT use any defoliating agents such as salicylic acid or benzoyl peroxide as these strip away the natural skin barrier, which then makes it easier for the fungus to invade the skin's pores and follicles.

I look forward to hearing back from you so I can provide more targeted information for the particular type of fungal acne that you have.

MemberMember
(@mxx)

Posted : 06/25/2019 4:14 pm

I've had acne since 14 and I'm 28 now. I've tried almost everything and my cystic acne is still persistent. Actually I haven't completely tried everything, I'm in the process of getting to a low body fat percentage since I have always been overweight. Currently 215 lbs at 6'2", I'm aiming for ~185lbs and I'm hoping that my skin problems will go away.

MemberMember
(@aussie-scientist)

Posted : 06/25/2019 7:00 pm

Mxx

Your persistent acne is very likely fungal acne now, not ordinary acne. That is why it persists - because treatments for ordinary acne do not control fungal acne and they usually make the "acne" worse and worse.

Have you considered that your acne is probably fungal acne, not ordinary acne.

It is worth applying clotrimazole antifungal cream (see my post above) to see if the "acne" is controlled by applying topical antifungal creams etc. The "acne" will most likely will be controlled by applying antifungal creams, keeping the affected area dry, and washing your hair in an antidandruff shampo (which is antifungal).

Topical antifungal creams are TOTALLY safe.

People often start off with ordinary acne, which turns into fungal acne over time, as a result of taking antibiotics and other meds. Treating fungal acne as though it is ordinary acne make the "acne" worse and worse.

Doctors know nothing about fungal acne.

I am happy to hear back from you.

MemberMember
(@joes13)

Posted : 07/01/2019 8:20 pm

Im 30. Have had moderate acne for 15 years now. Have been on accutane at ages 20 and 28. Both durations -I believe - were cut short by derms after only 18 weeks each time. Cleared skin completely but only temporarily as each time it came back shortly after I stopped treatment on both occasions. Not much light at the end of the tunnel at this point

MemberMember
(@aussie-scientist)

Posted : 07/01/2019 11:01 pm

JoeS13

Your persistent acne is very likely fungal acne now, not ordinary acne. That is why it persists - because treatments for ordinary acne control ordinary acne but they CAUSE fungal acne.

Adult acne is often/usually fungal acne (or sometimes he acne is caused by demodex mites, or by gram negative bacteria - which is also by taking certain antibiotics)

Fungal acne is caused by taking antibiotics, and some other meds - birth control pills or implants, prednisone and possibly accutane.

I suggest you apply clotrimazole antifungal cream (see my post above) to see if the "acne" is controlled by applying topical antifungal creams etc. The "acne" will most likely will be controlled by applying antifungal creams, keeping the affected area dry, and washing your hair in an antidandruff shampo (which is antifungal).

People often start off with ordinary acne, which turns into fungal acne over time, as a result of taking antibiotics and other meds. Treating fungal acne as though it is ordinary acne make the "acne" worse and worse.

If you get back to me with answers to the following questions, I can provide more targeted information for your situation.

Do you have one or more of the following - white tongue, dandruff, flaking skin, toenail fungus, itchy skin, red rashes, sinus problems, gut problems, unexplained tiredness, "brain fog" or headaches.

Have you taken antibiotics or any other meds ??? If you have taken antibiotics which ones have you taken ?

I look forward to hearing back from you.

MemberMember
(@joes13)

Posted : 07/02/2019 12:17 pm

13 hours ago, Aussie Scientist said:

JoeS13

Your persistent acne is very likely fungal acne now, not ordinary acne. That is why it persists - because treatments for ordinary acne control ordinary acne but they CAUSE fungal acne.

Adult acne is often/usually fungal acne (or sometimes he acne is caused by demodex mites, or by gram negative bacteria - which is also by taking certain antibiotics)

Fungal acne is caused by taking antibiotics, and some other meds - birth control pills or implants, prednisone and possibly accutane.

I suggest you apply clotrimazole antifungal cream (see my post above) to see if the "acne" is controlled by applying topical antifungal creams etc. The "acne" will most likely will be controlled by applying antifungal creams, keeping the affected area dry, and washing your hair in an antidandruff shampo (which is antifungal).

If you get back to me with answers to the following questions, I can provide more targeted information for your situation.

Do you have one or more of the following - white tongue, dandruff, flaking skin, toenail fungus, itchy skin, red rashes, sinus problems, gut problems, unexplained tiredness, "brain fog" or headaches.

Have you taken antibiotics or any other meds ??? If you have taken antibiotics which ones have you taken ?

I look forward to hearing back from you.

I havent had any of those symptoms before. Maybe itchy skin on my arms? Derm diagnosed it as karatosis Polaris but nothing ever prescribed for it helps. I picked up antifungal nizoral shampoo this morning to try.

Lars99 liked
MemberMember
(@elainea)

Posted : 07/02/2019 2:56 pm

There is another cause for acne that is frequently missed by dermatologist besides fungus. This skin condition can be treated and potentially cured in about 2 weeks with a generic and inexpensive prescription treatment.

Demodex skin mites are a common skin parasite that can cause both acne and rosacea like symptoms including large blackheads and pustules. The mites eat oil so they can occur anywhere on your body except the soles of your feet and palms of your hands. The mites live and die on a 14 to 24 day cycle. Acne symptoms may appear to be cyclical due to the mites dying off.

Common bacterial acne medications like antibiotics, retinoids, benzoyl peroxide are not effective against either demodex or fungal acne. Accutane may cause improvement by reducing the oil and starving the mites. However, some people have relapses eventually after Accutane treatment once the oil production is back to normal.

Tests can be done to determine if you have an infestation of demodex (called demodicosis). If you do have demodex, then the following treatment can totally clear it.

This treatment was published in the May 2013 International Journal of Infectious Diseases. This paper was written from a bona fide medical study that showed this treatment was highly effective.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S120197121201315X

2 week oral treatment for Demodex:

1.Day 1 and Day 8 - Dose of Oral Ivermectin based on body weight. One milligram of Ivermectin per kilogram of body weight. Dose may be rounded up slightly to avoid breaking tablets.
2. Every day for 2 weeks: Take Oral Metronidazole 250 mg three times per day with food.

I had demodicosis starting at age 12 for 51 years. It was misdiagnosed by 4 board certified dermatologists as bacterial acne. They only did visual exams and never ran one test to find out why all the antibiotics and drugs they prescribed failed to work.

After it developed into severe ocular rosacea (also known as blepharitis demodex), I found the medical paper online. My family doctor prescribed the meds for me. The generic versions of these 2 old medications costjust $13.03 insurance copay. Without insurance full retail cost is about $55.

Get your dermatologist to test for demodex. If your doctor will not test you, find a different doctor who will test you.

MemberMember
(@aussie-scientist)

Posted : 07/02/2019 7:21 pm

Joe

I would use an antifungal cream on the affected areas. Nizoral shampoo might help but you wil need an antifungal cream as well.

Be careful with Nizoral shampoo - it can irritate skin

Itchiness indicates a fungal condition. Keratosis pilaris is often (maybe always) caused by fungus, but doctors don't know this. I STRONGLY suggest that you apply clotrimazole antifungal cream to the affected areas.

Do you have a white tongue or dandruff?

Doctors know nothing about fungal conditions except for tinea.

And Elaine makes a valid point re demodex mites.

If the antifungal creams do not work to control your condition, then I would apply TOPICAL scabies cream FIRST to control mites BEFORE trying an oral med. Topical treatments are MUCH MUCH safer than oral treatments and should always be tried first before trying oral meds. Topical ivermectin is also available.

II can provide advice on how to get rid of demodex mites safely, if the antifungal creams do not control your condition

But start with applying the antifungal cream plus follow the other protocol for controlling fungal acne.

If the antifungal cream/s etc do not control the condition, follow the protocols for controlling demodex mites using topical treatments.

MemberMember
(@joes13)

Posted : 07/07/2019 8:28 pm

On 7/2/2019 at 8:21 PM, Aussie Scientist said:

Joe

I would use an antifungal cream on the affected areas. Nizoral shampoo might help but you wil need an antifungal cream as well.

Be careful with Nizoral shampoo - it can irritate skin

Itchiness indicates a fungal condition. Keratosis pilaris is often (maybe always) caused by fungus, but doctors don't know this. I STRONGLY suggest that you apply clotrimazole antifungal cream to the affected areas.

Do you have a white tongue or dandruff?

Doctors know nothing about fungal conditions except for tinea.

And Elaine makes a valid point re demodex mites.

If the antifungal creams do not work to control your condition, then I would apply TOPICAL scabies cream FIRST to control mites BEFORE trying an oral med. Topical treatments are MUCH MUCH safer than oral treatments and should always be tried first before trying oral meds. Topical ivermectin is also available.

II can provide advice on how to get rid of demodex mites safely, if the antifungal creams do not control your condition

But start with applying the antifungal cream plus follow the other protocol for controlling fungal acne.

If the antifungal cream/s etc do not control the condition, follow the protocols for controlling demodex mites using topical treatments.

After 5 days of Nizoral I have seen pretty good results. No irritation from it whatsoever and it does a great job of fryingout any acne I currentlyhadand I havent noticed any real new concerns yet. Clotrimazole is in the mail and arriving this week so Ill be using that on my arms and any affected areas on my neck or face that come about. I spent a weekend at the beach and the sun didnt have any negative impact to the new daily regiment. Thanks for all the advice so far, will continue on with the Nizoral and antifungal. Im still notsure yet if my acne is fungal but Im willing to stick with this new regiment to find out. Thanks

MemberMember
(@aussie-scientist)

Posted : 07/07/2019 8:34 pm

Thanks for the update, Joe. Good news.

If Nizoral is helping to control the acne/keratosis pilaris, then the acne/keratosis pilaris is 99% likely to be caused by fungus, because Nizoral is antifungal.

I am happy to hear how things go with the clotrimazole cream.

MemberMember
(@james_r83)

Posted : 07/09/2019 12:07 am

I'm 35. Still prone to spots but mostly clear if I follow what I know helps.

I used accutane when I was younger and suffered some severe side effects. About 6m or so after finishing it, the acne returned a little bit

For me it's been about:

- Low sugar/diary/gluten
- Most moisturisers break me out so I stick to either jojoba//aloe combination or light serums/milky ones where I'm picky about ingredients

- sunscreens also mostly break me out so I have to experiment a lot there