Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Vee_p

Folliculitis won’t go away !! :(

Hi have been dealing with Folliculitis for the last 5 months now and it will not go away ! I have to 5 hospitals 3 dermatologists and a naturalpathic doctor. I have also done 2 biopsy and they said they still not know what it is all it said “inflammation of the skin” well no shit I can visually see my skin is inflamed. They tested for mrsa as-well that came back negative. They first started on my vaginal are then spread to my boobs not it’s on my beck, face, stomach, back and chest. Also some of them get so bad that they become ulcers that take forever to heal. I’ve had some still on my body for 4 months that have not healed. I took doxycycline and so much topical prescriptions but nothing worked ! I have given up on the medical route and now have gone natural. I have changed to a vegan diet lots of veggies in my diet. I have also been doing gut healing and liver detox. I take probiotics, vitamin c, zinc, magnesium, garlic, turmeric and fish oil supplements everyday. Still no relief ! I apply Apple cider vinegar topically along with cbd oil. I also use a tea tree oil soap when I shower. I swear I have tried and researched everything and I can’t get rid of this shit :( if anyone else has struggled with this and has tips or recommendations that I haven’t don’t yet that have helped let me know pleaseeeee. Oh also I gave in and started a new anti biotic 4 days ago cephalexin (10 day treatment) 2times3 a day have not seen improvement on it yet either 

Posted (edited)

hi there! we’re in the same boat

start to do some reading on malasssezia folliculitis if all antibiotics and topicals are not working, then you most likely are having a fungal infection. have you ever heard of demodex folliculitis? 

Edited by avbaveda

I was told by the biopsy that it was not fungal. All is said “inflammation of skin, crusted not fungi” Its been really frustrating trying everything and waking up everyday to see more spots. My face and neck have scars all over :(

With all due respect, I would not take too much notice of the biopsy. Biopsies do not necessarily pick up fungal infections, except for tinea. The bioposy has told you that that you don't have tinea (which is caused by dermmatophytes). Not having tinea is irrelevant to your condition. Malassezia and candida are very hard to culture and thus are often not "picked up" in biopsies (for example, malassezia has to be cultured in organic oil and this is virtually never done). Also, both candida and malassezia "hide" under biofilms and are not necessarily picked up in a biopsy, depending on how it was done.

If you have dandruff then the skin problem is most likely caused by caused by malassezia. If you have a white tongue then the skin problem is most likely caused by malassezia.

I strongly suggest that you apply a topical cream with terbenafine in it (Lamisil or similar) to the affected areas. Terbenafine kills malassezia. Topical anti-fungal creams are very safe, so no harm in trying them. You could apply a mixture of a cream containing terbenafine and clotrimazole to the affected areas. Clotrimazole is effective against candida, although nystatin cream is best for candida. Try terbenafine cream first. If that does not work, try clotrimazole cream, possibly with terbenafine. If that does not work, use nystatin cream.

Do NOT take antibiotics (unless you have a life-threatening bacterial infection, which, from what you said, you do not have). Fungal outbreaks (malassezia and candida) on skin are CAUSED by taking antibiotics.

After hours and hours day after day of research I always thought it was fungal because I always have re accruing yeast infections almost every week and white coated tongue. I’m soo upset this biopsy was all for nothing gave me no answers and false analysis of it not being fungal. I now have two punch hole scars on my back for no reason ughhh. Also this makes sense now why the Folliculitis got so much worse on the antibiotics. I’ve been on it for 5 days and it’s spreading all over my stomach when as when I first started there was only one spot on my stomach. Ugh sooo frustrated but thank you so much for your reply ! I will try those creams out and hopefully they will work. Any suggestions on prevention from having it re occur ? And or dietary tips as I already have cut out dairy, gluten,sugar, and soy 

If you have a white coated tongue, then the probably is definitely candida (in my post yesterday, I meant - if you have a white tongue than the problem is caused by candida). In that case, you need to apply nystatin cream or clotrimazole cream if you cannot get nystatin cream. I have found that apply cream or spray with lidocaine (lignocaine) help the anti-fungal cream to work against candida. Be careful with lignocaine/lidocaine cream. Read the instructions. I would not use lidocaine  cream or spray for more than a few days at a time (with a break of several days). Low concentration (O.5%) hydrocortisone also helps but do NOT apply hydrocortisone for more than a few days at a time, as hydrocortisone reduces one's immune response (as do all corticosteroids). Candida produces prostaglandins which cause inflammation and help the candida to invade.  Hydrocortisone helps control the inflammation, and lidocaine/lignocaine helps to block prostagladin production. 

Re re-occurence - candida in otherwise healthy people is mainly caused by taking antibiotics which knock out the "good bacteria" in one's gut and elsewhere, so you might always have the problem, or you might not. See how you go with the topical treatments.

You can take probiotics, but they may not help much. I think the reason is because antibiotics kill anaerobic bacteria a well as aerobic bacteria in one's gut. Probiotics replace aerobic bacteria, but they do not replace anaerobic bacteria. Anaerobic bacteria are virtually impossible to replace without having a faecal transplant !!!!!! I am not suggesting that you do that.

Re diet - given you have cut out dairy, gluten, soy and sugar, I don't think there is a lot else you can do re diet. Some people take coconut oil and herbs (cucurmin, ie, tumeric, pao d'arco, magnolia bark, etc) with anti-fungal activity. I don't know how effective these are. Cucurmin (turmeric) is good for one's health, so probably worth putting turmeric in your food.Won't do any harm.

You could consider taking oral nilstat which is for mouth candida and you swallow it, so it will help get rid of candida in your gut. Nystatin is very safe, and it stays in one's gut (nystatin is a big molecule and it cannot cross the gut lining). This is good because of safely, but it means that oral nystatin does not help skin problems much, if at all. You could take undeconoic acid - I don't know how much this helps, but it is fairly safe.

Do you have unexplained headaches, unexplained tiredness, feelings of disorientation, etc. ?? These are symptoms of candida in one's gut, because candida makes acetaldehyde in one's gut (acetaldehyde is what causes hangovers from alcohol).

That is enough for now. I can explain more, if you are interested.

Which country are you in ?

You have been so much help you don't even understand more then any doctor or dermatologist has done for me in these last 4 months. I live in Canada and yes I have all those symptoms you listed above. Also it all makes sense now that it is caused by yeast as in October I had my first yeast infection and ever since then they have been recurring almost every week and my folliculits first started on the vaginal area and spread all over my body it's been hell !! and I had oral thrush and my tongue is always coated white so no doubt its a yeast issue. I actually did a candida detox last month but clearly that has not helped. And every doctor has been treating this as if it is bacterial so no wonder these 2 courses of antibiotics never worked and only made it spread and get worse.My head is starting to itch a lot today I am praying it does not spread there as well. You have recommended a lot of topical stuff that I will most def look into buying. Do you have any recommendations for oral medication that will kill the fungus ? I am going to try a walk in clinic tomorrow to be prescribed something to kill it from the inside. Also I have been taking turmeric supplements 3 times a day along with garlic to try and kill it. But yea any tips you know that can help actually kill the yeast and clear my skin and not have to worry about it would be great. I will NEVER go on antibiotics again that is for sure. I also do take probiotics already and eat probiotic foods but like you said they don't do much help I have been trying to heal my gut for the last 2 months now with fermented foods,bone broth, and L-glutamine, Trying everything to restore the good bacteria but I feel so hopeless when you do all these things and your skin just keeps getting worse and worse :(

Also any recomedations what body wash and face wash I should use that will help ? I currently use tea tree oil bar soap and a salicylic acid body wash

You can take oral anti-fungals for candida - itraconazole or fluconazole. But these drugs are somewhat dangerous. You can read about them. They muck up one's liver and they gave me high blood pressure, which I solved by diet, and by stopping taking the drugs. Also, they are not very effective against candida. Do take oral Nilstat if you can get it in Canada.

I STRONGLY suggest that you use topical nystatin cream. I see that nystatin cream is a prescription product in Canada (it is OTC in Australia). Nystatin is very safe, so being prescription only is odd!!.

If you cannot get a prescription for nystatin cream, I suggest you see if you can buy a product called Medistatin in Canada. Medistatin is for candida in birds, but it is perfectly safe used topically on human skin. Medistatin contains nystatin. Don't ingest it.You can mix the Medistatin with terbenafine cream (Lamisil, which you should be able to buy OTC in Canada) and/or with a cream or gel or spray containing lignocaine/lidicaine. This should fix your problems. Don't use Medistatin or lignocaine/lidicaine in the vaginal area. You can use clotrimazole in the vaginal area, and elsewhere .

If you cannot get Medistatin, then use clotrimazole cream topically, which you should be able to buy OTC in Canada.

Are Canadians allowed to import a small amount of topical meds (meds which would require a prescription in Canada) from other countries ?

Be careful getting advice from the medical profession about candida. They are in denial about it, and they will refuse to accept that your problems are caused by candida. They will try and prescribe antibiotics and/or steroid creams for you, both of which will make the problem worse (noting that low concentration corticosteorid cream ie, hydrocortisone can be used short term to reduce inflammation).

I would not take glutamine, as it can encourage growth and spread of candida. I would also be careful with fermented foods and bone broth, as both these foods can cause histamine responses which can exacerbate (the effects of) candida. I (would) take supplements that calm inflammation (and which have other benefits) - quercetin, mangosteen, and cucurmin (turmeric). There are other herbs, also that might be useful, if you really want to go herbal. Herbs won't cure candida but they can help the associated inflammation.

And finally, there is a lot of rubbish on the web about candida. People with candida are caught between a medical profession in denial about its occurrence in otherwise healthy people, and a whole lot of unscientific nonsense on the web about how to treat (mainly gut) candida. 

Three things that I forgot to mention yesterday -

1. Please do not mention the Medistatin powder to anyone in the medical profession. You probably know I am saying this, but ask me to explain, if necessary. We don't want to "set the hares running", if you know what I mean.

2. A critical thing with candida is to keep one's skin dry. Cornflour (ie, flour from maize) is as good as anything for this. Rub cornflour on the affected areas of your skin after applying the topical creams/spray (not your face, if you are going to be seen by others - will look too weird! ).

3. I would wash the areas affected by candida (other than vaginal areas) in chlorhexadine wash (sold OTC as Hibiclens in the US, and in Canada?). Chlorhexadine wash (2%) is gentle. It is mildly anti-fungal - mostly it is anti-bacterial. The reason for using chlorhexadine wash is to avoid a secondary staph infection on the areas of skin that are inflamed/damaged by candida. Chlorhexadine will kill good bacteria on one's skin (not desirable, but unavoidable). However, getting a staph infection on top of a candida outbreak is a nightmare, and is common, because of skin damage caused by candida. Never touch your skin after blowing your nose. Most people carry staph in their noses. I always use hand sanitiser on my hands, after blowing my nose. This helps avoid colds and flu, as well as substantially reducing the likelihood of getting a staph infection on damaged skin, if you accidently touch it.  

No worries I will not mention anything to them about it lol. I am going to see a doctor tomorrow and hopefully get a prescription for some of the things you mentioned. Also was just wondering what your thought are on taking a bleach bath ? Or a apple cider vinegar bath ? You also mentioned about probiotics as I do already take them daily is there any specific ones you would recommend that are targeted for candida ? 

Also you said that steroid creams will make it worse but from what I researched Nystatin and terbenafine are steroid creams ?

Neither nystatin nor terbenafine are steroid creams. Sometimes nystatin and terbenafine are mixed with steroids (corticosteroids) in brand name products. Nystatin and terbenafine are anti-fungal creams. Short term use of weak steroid creams can be useful for candida, but only for a day or two (because steroid creams suppress one's body's immune ability to deal with the fungus).

Bleach can be helpful for treating nystatin. There is no harm in trying a weak bleach bath. Weak bleach baths are supposed to kill staph on one's skin (but not staph infections) and they may kill candida. I occasionally use undiluted bleach on particular candida trouble spots, but that is a very "full on" treatment, and I do not recommend it. I am not suggesting that you use undiluted bleach. Undiluted bleach causes skin damage. I am not sure about apple cider vinegar. I do drink it in diluted form, but I have never had any success with using it topically.

My greatest success is with nystatin or clotrimazole or miconazole cream, mixed with lidocaine (lignocaine) liquid spray (SOOV Burn spray) or cream and terbenafine cream. One can add other compounds to this mix, if it does not work, but best to try this mix first. It is very safe. I boost the nystatin cream by mixing in nystatin powder.

You should be able to get clotrimazole, micanoazole and terbenafine cream without a prescription in Canada. If the doc. refuses you a prescription for nystatin cream, then go to Plan B (as in my previous message). I hope I am wrong, but I suspect the doc. won't believe that you have candida. I do hope I am wrong on this, but my own experience and countless blogs on the web suggest otherwise. 

On 4/5/2019 at 11:37 PM, Aussie Scientist said:

With all due respect, I would not take too much notice of the biopsy. Biopsies do not necessarily pick up fungal infections, except for tinea. The bioposy has told you that that you don't have tinea (which is caused by dermmatophytes). Not having tinea is irrelevant to your condition. Malassezia and candida are very hard to culture and thus are often not "picked up" in biopsies (for example, malassezia has to be cultured in organic oil and this is virtually never done). Also, both candida and malassezia "hide" under biofilms and are not necessarily picked up in a biopsy, depending on how it was done.

If you have dandruff then the skin problem is most likely caused by caused by malassezia. If you have a white tongue then the skin problem is most likely caused by malassezia.

I strongly suggest that you apply a topical cream with terbenafine in it (Lamisil or similar) to the affected areas. Terbenafine kills malassezia. Topical anti-fungal creams are very safe, so no harm in trying them. You could apply a mixture of a cream containing terbenafine and clotrimazole to the affected areas. Clotrimazole is effective against candida, although nystatin cream is best for candida. Try terbenafine cream first. If that does not work, try clotrimazole cream, possibly with terbenafine. If that does not work, use nystatin cream.

Do NOT take antibiotics (unless you have a life-threatening bacterial infection, which, from what you said, you do not have). Fungal outbreaks (malassezia and candida) on skin are CAUSED by taking antibiotics.

Update: was able to get a prescription for oral fluconazole and topical nystatin cream. Fingers crossed this works !! Also I was not able to get terbenafine cream OTC they said it was prescription here on Canada. So I bought nizoral shampoo (ketoconazole) to apply to my face as they told me not to apply the nystatin to my face 

Day 1 of treatment and my skin has freaked out. huge flare up between my eyebrows and in my eye brows along with my chest. AND its now attacking my head soo itchy and found a huge bump near hairline ughhhh this actually frightens me as I know you can loose your hair permanently :( I have no idea why I can't beat this thing I am doing everything to kill the candida from the inside and it's just eating my skin alive

Can I strongly suggest that you do not apply ketoconazole shampoo to your face (or your body) - ketoconazole shampoo will cause massive flare ups, partly because it contains sodium laurel sulphate which is a strong skin irritant. And, ketocoazole does not control candida very well, if at all. Flare-ups in your eye brows suggests to me that you might have malasezzia as well as candida. Are your eyebrows "flaky" or is the skin just red? Do you have dandruff?

You can and should apply nystatin cream to your face. It is TOTAL rubbish to say do not apply nystatin cream to your face. Nystatin is VERY safe and very gentle. Nystatin is not a skin irritant at all. You can eat nystatin. If you send me the brand name of the nystatin cream, I will check its other ingredients, just in case one of them is a major skin irritant, but I doubt that it is.

You should use nystin cream mixed with terbenafine cream, but I realise that you canot do this at present. Was there a reason why they would not give you a prescription for terbenafine cream ? Can you buy Lotrimin Ultra OTC in Canada ? If you can, buy that, as Lotrimin Ultra contains butenafine, which is like terbenafine. Butenafine will not kill candida on its own, but it should knock any malasezzia.

Candida is very difficult to treat. It spreads rapidly through hyphae and it hides under biofilms. Your flare-ups are probably caused by a combination of skin irritation from the ketoconazole shampoo and the candida spreading to areas without the anti-fungals as you try and kill it with the anti-fungals.

Persist with using the nystatin cream eveywhere, including your face, for a while. If that does not work -

I suggest you grind a fluconazole tablet or the contents of a fluconazole capsule in a mortar and pestle (buy in kitchen shops if you don't have a mortar and pestle already) and mix it with 0.5% hydrocortisone cream (should be available OTC) and put that on your skin, including your face. That will calm your skin. Don't take any notice of people saying that you should not use hydrocortisone cream on your face or that it will cause pimples. Neither of those is true - I have chased their source and the story has become twisted over time. But, as I said before, do not use hydrocortisone cream for more than a few days.

Alternatively, buy clotrimazole cream (OTC) and apply it everywhere, together with hydrocortisome cream and/or lignocaine/lidocaine cream (don't apply lignocaine/lidocaine vaginally).

I STRONGLY suggest that you apply a cream or spray with lignocaine/lidocaine with the nystatin or the clotrimazole or the fluconazole. Lignocaine/lidovaine will calm the inflammation and it will help the anti-fungals to work better, plus help to "smash" the biofilm. Only use lignocaine/lidocaine for a few days at a time. 

If you are allowed to import small amounts of meds for personal use I would start buying anti-fungals on ebay and importing them. I can give you advice on how to do this, if you wish..

Please be aware that the medical profession has no idea how to treat skin candida and malasssezia, and they will usually give people rubbish advice.

I doubt that you will lose your hair  ..... Don't freak out....

Some other topical options for killing candida are gentian violet (not on face unless you want a purple face !! but fine on chest etc - use cotton buds to apply it - gentian violet stains everything), and 3% hydrogen peroxide (can irritate skin). Dilute eucalyptus or dilute tea tree oil or dilute pine oil can also kill candida, but they cause skin irritation and they sting unless very diluted. Some people use boric acid - DO NOT INGEST boric acid or apply it to large areas of broken skin. Obviously, do not ingest gentian violet or the oils or peroxide.

Unfortunately I had to learn the hard way about the ketoconazole shampoo and making my face flare up. my eye brows and around my nose are not that flaky unless I am scratching the itchiness, it's mostly very dry with all these little tiny bumps that look like pimples. I applied manuka honey on it tonight to try calm it. Also my skin is pretty oily but really dry at the same time it's odd. I kinda think I may be dealing with the malassezia on my body and yeast infection on my face along with seborrheic dermatitis. I have looked to buy lotrimin but it is not OTC. I plan to get some spray lidocane and mix it with the nystain cream. The one they prescribed me is called Nyaderm. By the sounds and look of this all it seems that candida overgrowth is the reason for all these skin issues happening. 

Also I found this one selling on ebay that will ship to canada 

s-l500.jpg

Nyaderm Topical Cream contains - Each g of aqueous, perfumed vanishing cream base contains nystatin USP 100,000 units. Nonmedicinal ingredients: aluminum hydroxide gel, ceteareth-15, glyceryl monostearate, methylparaben, perfume 9128-Y, polyethylene glycol-400 monostearate, propylene glycol, propylparaben, purified water, simethicone emulsion, sodium hydroxide, sorbitol solution, titanium dioxide, and white petrolatum.

Pity about the simethicone (which is an unnecessary ingredient, but Big Pharma adds it to lots of things, annoyingly) as silicone might encourage candida - candida attaches to silicone implants and simethocone is a silicone. But you can't do anything about that at present, and simethicone is not the same as a silicone implant !

You could have malasezzia on your body and candida on your face, although seborrheic dermatitis is caused by malasezia, not candida. Nystatin will not control malassezia at all.

Are you sure you cannot import a tube of terbenafine or butenafine anti-fungal from the US? Terbenafine kills malasezzia rapidly. 

Yes, I agree - See if you can get rid of the candida on your face with the nystatin cream. I would add a drop or so of apple cider vinegar to the nystatin cream as it looks to be rather alkaline from the ingredients, and that is not good for your skin. I suggest you try acidifying the cream slightly with a drop or two of vinegar.  

Note that Lotrimin (clotrimazole) and Lotrimin Ultra (butenafine) are different.

You can buy clotrimazole cream in Canada at Walmart which is OTC, presumably. Do you want the link ??

On 4/5/2019 at 11:37 PM, Aussie Scientist said:

It’s frustrating not knowing what exactly I have and where on the body. This has just been all self diagnosis from taking antibiotics and having vagina yeast infections. I can’t be 100% sure if it’s candida on my face or Malassezia. All I know is that what’s one my face is different then what is on my body. I just figured I’m dealing with all 3 things Malassezia, candida, and seborrheic dermatitis. How am I to truly know what the heck I actually have and where when all these tests show nothing :( I have clotrimazole cream from a canesten box from a previous vaginal yeast infection. Can I apply that ? Also I was only able to find terbinafine cream on eBay the one I posted a pic of above. If you know any other sites that will import to Canada let me know :)

I don’t know is this is making my body and face worse or if it’s safe to use. I just bought these products last week from Thursday plantation line. It’s the tea tree bar soap along with the foaming cleanser. I have attached the ingredients if u happen to know if any of these ingredients will help or is making it worse. I think the biggest struggle is finding a body wash and face wash that isn’t going to make it worse

B3E2393C-6198-4837-AC6C-2EB7E1752A7B.jpeg

5E2FE38D-D713-49AC-88E7-60BB5C9B8453.jpeg

I don't think the above product will irritate your skin, but I would use chlorhexadine wash to wash your face (and the affected parts of your body, maybe) - sold OTC as Hibiclens in the US, and probably in Canada. Dilute the Hibiclens down to ~2% chlorhexadine. I put the chlorhexadine wash into a "pump container" that makes the wash foam when I press the pump, if that makes sense. Chlorhexadine wash is mildly anti-fungal (especially when used with nystatin) and it will stop secondary staph (MRSA) infections (which are always a risk with candida/malassezia). Chlorhexadine in low concentrations does not irritate skin.

Do not use products with benzalkonium chloride in them, as benzalkonium chloride is a skin irritant, even in low concentrations.

Make sure your skin is completely dry after washing, and always keep your skin completely dry, and do NOT use moisturisers. Moisturisers feed malassezia and they encourage candida. I would only wash your skin, including your face, once a day. I put tissues down my cleavage in hot weather, to absorb sweat.

I'll reply to your other post separately. I'll send you link(s) for buying terbenafine (lamisil) on-line from the US.

To reply to - It’s frustrating not knowing what exactly I have and where on the body. This has just been all self diagnosis from taking antibiotics and having vagina yeast infections. I can’t be 100% sure if it’s candida on my face or Malassezia. All I know is that what’s one my face is different then what is on my body. I just figured I’m dealing with all 3 things Malassezia, candida, and seborrheic dermatitis. How am I to truly know what the heck I actually have and where when all these tests show nothing :( I have clotrimazole cream from a canesten box from a previous vaginal yeast infection. Can I apply that ? Also I was only able to find terbinafine cream on eBay the one I posted a pic of above. If you know any other sites that will import to Canada let me know :)

Seborrheic dermatitis is caused by candida, so you can only have candida and malassezzia. Apart from a white tongue, the skin symptoms of candida are (painful) skin cracks, itchy red rashes, sometime painful red rashes that sometimes come on suddenly, bumps, pustules, nodules, odd looking and/or ingrown hairs, and what look like pimples. The symptoms of malasezia are flaking skin (dandruff, seborrheic dermatitis), some redness but not usually a widespread rash, small, often itchy bumps, nodules and sometimes odd looking and/or ingrown hairs, and what look like pimples. Malassezia is not usually painful; candida can be painful (but be aware that bacterial infections are also painful). Neither candida or malassezia will make one's skin hot, but they both cause inflammation. As you probably know, hot skin is a sign of staph (MRSA) and is dangerous.

Yes, you can apply clotrimazole cream anywhere on your skin. I would "slather" it all over your body twice a day, and then apply cornflour (maize) flour. I would use nystatin cream on your face and neck, possibly mixed with terbenafine cream and/or lidocaine cream. Candida produces prostaglandins which cause inflammation and make the candida "grow". Controlling inflammation is therefore an important part of controlling candida.

This link provides you with lots of options to buy terbenafine cream from the US. https://www.ebay.ca/b/Lamisil-Antifungal-Athletes-Foot-Liquid-Treatments/36431/bn_27860980