Notifications
Clear all

Review of acne scar treatment with Dr Taylor

MemberMember
(@scarredandfeathered)

Posted : 03/31/2019 5:17 pm

I am learning a lot from these forums so I thought I would contribute and share my experience with Dr Taylor in Salt Lake City. It has been a year since the treatment and I am happy with the results. I'm making plans to see him again sometime this year. I will be sure to update this thread, hopefully with even more improvement to my skin after the next treatment.

MY SKIN

I am in my 40s with no active acne. The scars were from a long time ago and were most severe on my cheeks. I also had some on my temples and forehead. Mainly, the scars were atrophic rolling and boxcar. I'm not sure what my Fitzpatrick level is, but I get mistaken for Latino or Filipino in the summertime.

PREVIOUS TREATMENTS

I only had one previous treatment - microneedling of the whole face done by a dermatologist at 2 - 2.5mm depth. I was happy to see that the procedure made a noticeable improvement. But I was somewhat discouraged to realize that it just softened the edges of the scars. I realized that my scars were deep and tethered and would require a more aggressive treatment.

PROCEDURE WITH DR TAYLOR

The whole process took about an hour and a half and combined several procedures:

1. Field subcision - this is what Dr Taylor is known for, cutting the tethers holding down the depressed scars across the whole cheek rather than one scar at a time in traditional needle subcision.

2. Fraxel re:pair laser

3. 30% TCA peel

4. Excisions - he did 12 excisions on my face and sutured them closed

I hardly felt any pain during the treatment. I was awake and alert and feeling like I had a few cocktails but I still have a complete memory of the procedure. The strangest part was the preparation for subcision - they inserted a tube between the layers of skin and pumped my cheeks full of fluid. I could feel my cheeks get very heavy but i felt no pain because the fluid contained an anesthetic. He used a tool that looks like a fondue fork for subcision, inserted from the sideburn. I could hear the tethers snapping as he worked the tool across my cheek.

I asked Dr Taylor to give my skin as thorough a treatment as it could handle, so I think he set the laser a little higher. Dr Taylor was very knowledgeable and capable and caring, definitely a top notch dermatologist. All of his staff was  organized and efficient so that made the procedure easier.

RECOVERY

For the first 24 hours, the swelling was pretty severe. I'm not sure if my own family would have recognized me walking down the street. The worst part of the recovery was that I had to keep a thick layer of vaseline-type cream all over my face at all times for almost a week. It was just cumbersome and annoying to have my face stick to anything that touched it. I used a special pillow to sleep with my head elevated for the first week. After a week, they took out my sutures and I started using a regular lotion on my skin instead of the thick grease. I was somewhat swollen at that point but I didn't feel too bad running errands and doing everyday activities. And every day my skin started looking better. Except after about five weeks, some purplish-red rectangular patches showed up on my cheeks. They weren't horrible and they went away after about a week. I think those patches on my cheek were the area they covered twice with the laser as the skin finally came to the surface. I did experience some numbness of the skin of my cheek close to my ears. That went away as the sensation returned gradually over a few months. Thinking back on it now, the recovery was significant and disruptive but it was not horrible. It's not like I would never want to go through it again.

OUTCOME

I'm posting photos so you can judge for yourself. I'm happy with the results. Many of the acne scars on my temples and forehead are nearly gone. Much of the sun damage is gone and the overall texture of my skin is better. The cheeks are improved, especially the right cheek. Where I had deep divots before, now I have shallow lumpiness. I can't really see any surgical scars from the excisions, but I can feel some slightly raised ridges of scar tissue from the excisions on my cheek. When I look at my cheek now, I think that laser and microneedling treatments would really improve the shallow scars that I have left. I'm in a much better position than a year ago when I had such deep scars and felt that no laser or microneedling treatment would make a big difference.

Overall I recommend the procedure for anyone with severe and deep acne scars on their cheeks and temples.

201902indoorLeft.jpg

201902indoorRight.jpg

201902outdoorLeft.jpg

201902outdoorRight.jpg

MemberMember
(@vidrar)

Posted : 03/31/2019 11:38 pm

Congrats. Great improvement after just 1 subcision.

Did Taylor use any filler ?

MemberMember
(@johnthegreat)

Posted : 04/01/2019 5:19 am

you've been mistaken as a Filipino and latino, does that mean you got Brown skin? or you facial feature looks like one?

MemberMember
(@eekman)

Posted : 04/01/2019 2:12 pm

Thanks for information, really good to have results well documented. Tobe honest, the scars lookpretty much the same. There might be some improvement, but if you need to spend an hour analyzing before/after pics to see if there is 5% improvement, the procedure that probably cost thousands, isnot worth it in my opinion. Maybe after 10 more sessions as some will probably suggest..Sorry, butmy opinion is still that subcision is just a scam with some buzzwords like 'tethering' thrown in.Your skin color looks better though or maybe it is less oily and that is why I think you look much better in the after pics.

MemberMember
(@connectland)

Posted : 04/01/2019 4:54 pm

2 hours ago, eekman said:

Thanks for information, really good to have results well documented. Tobe honest, the scars lookpretty much the same. There might be some improvement, but if you need to spend an hour analyzing before/after pics to see if there is 5% improvement, the procedure that probably cost thousands, isnot worth it in my opinion. Maybe after 10 more sessions as some will probably suggest..Sorry, butmy opinion is still that subcision is just a scam with some buzzwords like 'tethering' thrown in.Your skin color looks better though or maybe it is less oily and that is why I think you look much better in the after pics.

In my opinion and with all due respect, I think your assessmentis ridiculous.There is obvious improvement - I'd say 30%-75% on scarring. Also, 5-10% per treatment is common and it means the world to many people no matter what that cost.

@OP You have great facial growth and a good profile. Your face may be a bit, and I mean a bit riddled but you look great - if anything a little rough around the edges which is not unattractiveat all. Good luck with future treatments!For a one year post, these photosare amazing.

MemberMember
(@scarredandfeathered)

Posted : 04/01/2019 10:31 pm

22 hours ago, Vidrar said:

Congrats. Great improvement after just 1 subcision.

Did Taylor use any filler ?

No filler was used.

17 hours ago, JohnThegreat said:

you've been mistaken as a Filipino and latino, does that mean you got Brown skin? or you facial feature looks like one?

I was trying to say that my skin can look a little darker brown than it appears in the photos. I was concerned that the Fraxel re:pair laser may not be right for my skin color but it turned out fine without any hyperpigmentation.

5 hours ago, connectland said:

There is obvious improvement - I'd say 30%-75% @OP You have great facial growth and a good profile. Your face may be a bit, and I mean a bit riddled but you look great - if anything a little rough around the edges which is not unattractiveat all. Good luck with future treatments!For a one year post, these photosare amazing.

Thanks for the kind words connectland. I agree with you percentage-wise and Im happy with the results.