Notifications
Clear all

The frustrations of having acne

MemberMember
(@simonecharles)

Posted : 03/31/2019 1:39 pm

The frustrations of having bad skin;

Nothing is ever simple when you suffer with acne, and there never seems to be a cure. Ive found a way of keeping my acne controlled to a certain extent but my life has become regimented with a half hour facial routine every morning and evening.

Its frustrating when you know most girls just use a simple face wipe to remove their makeup and done. While youre there trying your hardest to keep your skin under control and half the time not succeeding.

When my skin is really bad, I struggle to even want to go out or see anyone, and would feel that theyre staring at the bumps on my face & not me. I just want to be alone, hide away & just deal with the painful breakouts on my own where I dont have to impress anyone or be judged. I almost go into a slight depression, I feel so low and fed up, looking in the mirror just makes me want to cry.

Theres also the anxiety which comes along with it, everyday I wake up & the first thing on my mind is how bad is my skin today. Most mornings I am late, trying to settle any breakouts before putting makeup on to cover the horrible redness.

Holidays arent all fun and games either, I stress so much before hand making sure Ive stocked up on creams, non pore blocking suncreams and things to try and make sure my skin wont breakout in high humidity. Holidays should be a thing you look forward to, not worry about.

Its also hard when all I want to do is look nice for my fiance. When in reality he comes home most days to me smothered in a face mask or in tears over how horrible I feel. It frustrates me even more that the poor guy has to even put up with that.

All I wish for is to feel normal and to not have to worry about my skin.

I want to be free and be able to go to festivals and do fun stuff without the worry of having breakouts. I just want a normal life.

Kyoshiro and Eric98 liked
(@Anonymous)

Posted : 04/29/2019 5:47 pm

On 3/31/2019 at 1:39 PM, SimoneCharles said:

Nothing is ever simple when you suffer with acne, and there never seems to be a cure. Ive found a way of keeping my acne controlled to a certain extent but my life has become regimented with a half hour facial routine every morning and evening.

Its frustrating when you know most girls just use a simple face wipe to remove their makeup and done. While youre there trying your hardest to keep your skin under control and half the time not succeeding.

When my skin is really bad, I struggle to even want to go out or see anyone, and would feel that theyre staring at the bumps on my face & not me. I just want to be alone, hide away & just deal with the painful breakouts on my own where I dont have to impress anyone or be judged. I almost go into a slight depression, I feel so low and fed up, looking in the mirror just makes me want to cry.

Theres also the anxiety which comes along with it, everyday I wake up & the first thing on my mind is how bad is my skin today. Most mornings I am late, trying to settle any breakouts before putting makeup on to cover the horrible redness.

Holidays arent all fun and games either, I stress so much before hand making sure Ive stocked up on creams, non pore blocking suncreams and things to try and make sure my skin wont breakout in high humidity. Holidays should be a thing you look forward to, not worry about.

Its also hard when all I want to do is look nice for my fiance. When in reality he comes home most days to me smothered in a face mask or in tears over how horrible I feel. It frustrates me even more that the poor guy has to even put up with that.

I want to be free and be able to go to festivals and do fun stuff without the worry of having breakouts. I just want a normal life.

I related to this so much.

MemberMember
(@aussie-scientist)

Posted : 04/29/2019 10:48 pm

You might have a fungal condition, not ordinary acne. Candida and malasezzia (fungi) cause symptoms which mimic acne. Have you taken antibiotics ? Do you have a white tongue or dandruff (both of these are indicative of fungal conditions). Is your acne itchy? If you get back to me with answers to these questions, I might be able to provide some useful information.

MemberMember
(@kyoshiro)

Posted : 05/12/2019 8:33 pm

Aw man... I totally relate.

MemberMember
(@karenm)

Posted : 05/13/2019 8:39 am

On 3/31/2019 at 2:39 PM, SimoneCharles said:

I can relate. I feel like I spend so much time cleaning and preparing my face. I listen to audiobooks while I'm doing it so at least I'm entertained... I just want to feel normal and beautiful. After all the pimples go, now you have scars and hyperpigmentation.

MemberMember
(@podo)

Posted : 07/14/2019 12:55 pm

Yes acne is frustrating. Feels like a waste of time staring in the mirror applying all the creams and medications etc especially when they dont work... yet we do it every morning and night because we dont know what else to do... also on the off chance that this time will be different and the treatment will work...

MemberMember
(@aussie-scientist)

Posted : 07/14/2019 6:31 pm

Podo

If you have chronic acne, which will not clear with treatments for ordinary acne, you may have fungal acne. Fungal acne is caused by taking antibiotics, some other meds and possibly by taking accutane.

Fungal acne has to be treated with antifungal creams and by keeping skin dry (moisture encourages fungus). Treatments for ordinary acne make fungal acne worse.

I can provide more information if you get back to me with answers to the following questions.

Do you have dandruff or a white tongue (these are indications of a fungal condition). Have you taken antibiotics or other meds ? If you have taken antibiotic which antibiotics have you taken ?

Gram negative bacterial acne is also a possibility - this is also caused by taking (certain) antibiotics. Do you have acne on your upper lip and/or around your nose ??

I am not a medical doctor, but I know a lot about fungal acne and other types of acne that do not respond to treatments for ordinary acne.