Notifications
Clear all

How deep should be a scar to be considered Shallow/Deep?

MemberMember
(@vladpredescu)

Posted : 03/26/2019 8:29 am

I started this topic because I was curious how deep acne scars should be to be placed in the categories mentioned in the title. As I've found on the internet, shallow acne scars are <0.5mm and deep acne scars are considered the ones >0.5mm. My esthetician told me that she doesn't find my scars that deep and maybe Microneedling /Tixel /Chemical peels might help me because most of them are not that deep and they might look deeper because of certain lights.

MemberMember
(@beautifulambition)

Posted : 03/26/2019 9:02 am

@Vladpredescu We already covered your case here: 

You said you had Tixel, ... I have heard from several other's it did nothing. You would have to tell me your individual experience. I also gave you a plan of treatment. You seem to be stuck seeing "your esthetician." She does not sound like a acne scar expert and just does general cosmetic procedures. I have never found a "esthetician," who can fully treat scars like a experienced Dr. Scars are not based on depth, this means very little, and I don't see how this helps us get you treated. IT's like someone who is analyzing fine art, ... there will be different opinions. Nothing is universal. There is no ____________ machine if your scars are _________mm deep. Not how it works. Everything is customized. Scar work for insurance purposes is based off grading  (even the below I do not agree with as it's subjective). I can tell you this your scars are mild to moderate, with PIE or redness post acne that needs to be treated. The depth does not matter. ... the skill of the practitioner matters most. Who cares if they are >0.1mm, ... if they are hard to fix and cause you issue then they should be treated based on your individual case.  Microneedling again you can buy at home, the derminator, ... Tixel you did already. Chemical peels will not solve all of your issues but they can help. Sounds like this ethetician has no experience with subcision, cross, or surgical lasers for scars. Consult with other Dermatolosits and or plastic surgeons. You really need vascular laser. I would do Ematrix or sublative rf for your early scars, if Tixel is working instead great you will need many of them. Vascular laser if there is any other redness. Many sessions of cannular subcision with filler is probably the mos important thing you can do, and possibly low density co2 laser (optional). 

Shetty S Pictures

MemberMember
(@vladpredescu)

Posted : 03/26/2019 9:10 am

@beautifulambitionThanks for sharing again your knowledge! I understand what are you saying but I have to add that photos with my phone( talking only about my case) can really trick you. The contrast made by the camera phone's make them look worse than they actually are, but you are right that the depth of the scar won' t matter. I didn't find anyone that performs subcision in Romania, Bucharest. I really didn't and to be honest, Tixel helped me, not so much, but helped me in some parts. I started looking for different Dr's and listen to their opinion as well. [Edited image out]

EDIT: And to be honest, It was just pure curiosity about the depth of acne scarring. I thought this forum delivers quality information and that's why I wrote here. =D

MemberMember
(@beautifulambition)

Posted : 03/26/2019 9:20 am

@VladpredescuI am just trying to help you. If anything I don't want theesthetician to sell you something that does not work or make you think it's about your scar depth. She does not sound experienced. You can start doing microneedling at home monthly. Derminator(Google it), and acid peels yourself. But this won't fix things fully. You really need subcision. Did you look at the scar treatments main sub, goto the faq, and bottomare doctors.

Use whatever social media site is popularthere, Instagram, Facebook, etc... search"subcision" and your area or country "____". Does not mean they are good, just that they may provide this service. UnfortunatelyEastern Europe lacks good acne scar Dr's. Many fly - Ryanair to Emil in Denmark for a few sub sessions. Have you tried to do some consults with local plastic surgeon's?

You can tell me more about what the Tixel experiencedid and did not do here if you wish, I have had mixed results with patients so don't know weather to offer it. IT's not approved in many countries. I am told you need many sessions, and it gives a little improvement to scars, but not much. Like a gentler Fraxel without the power. What type of scars did it work on.

MemberMember
(@vladpredescu)

Posted : 03/31/2019 3:07 am

@beautifulambitionSorry for late response. For PROs: Helped me with PIE and made some scars look better because it lifted them up(the ones that are not so visibile in the photo) and CONs: I'd say the price indeed compared to other procedures. Probably doesn't go that deep compared to lasers.

MemberMember
(@beautifulambition)

Posted : 03/31/2019 9:47 am

@VladpredescuThank You - Sounds like a very weak clear and brilliant, which is low powered for those who cannot handle other lasers. One must get many treatments with it 10+ and multi-pass. The advantage is less side effects, down time, and sensitivity in certain skin types. You can continue that is you wish, while waiting for stronger treatments we mentioned above elsewhere - with a dr who does subcision and filler.

MemberMember
(@vladpredescu)

Posted : 03/31/2019 1:11 pm

@beautifulambitionYes, that's what I was thinking about, a very low powered method with little down time for recovery. And yes, I plan to find a good Dr that does subcision in Romania. Flying to another country it is too expensive right now, as I am a student. I will keep you updated after I finish my 3rd session of Tixel. But I must say that I am pleased by the slow progress.