Notifications
Clear all

No Results with Diet Change

MemberMember
(@brokenhow)

Posted : 03/23/2019 6:47 pm

So I've been struggling with moderate acne for 3-4 years (I'm 19 now) and it can get annoying sometimes. It is mostly pustules, whiteheads and blackheads around the mouth and chin area, sometimes around the nose and forehead and rarely anwhere else (cheeks, neck, chest, etc). My mom used to have the same type of acne around the same age but went on accutane and got rid of it forever. I tried the same treatment but to my luck I relapsed after 6 months.

Now I've tried the alternative of changing my diet. I've never taken too much care of my diet but don't eat unhealthy food either. Now it's been 3 months since I cut off ALL added sugar from my diet, gone completely dairy and gluten free, avoid all inflamatory foods like oily stuff, nuts and others, and consumelow GI foods (except from long grain white rice that I'll have perhaps once a week). I try my best to have as many nutrients, vitamins, minerals and omega-3 with my food intake. I've not found any specific trigger foods despite going through elimination diets and keeping food diaries. I'll still breakout almost everyday regardless of what I consume.

It can sometimes be demotivating to see no improvement whatsoever sticking to a diet. Perhaps it is not diet related, more like genetical or hormonal, I don't know. Any ideas?

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 03/23/2019 7:11 pm

Unfortuantely contray to popular relief Acne isnt diet realted it is to much sebum in your skin a natural lubricant that protects our skin and testosterone is the hormone that makes it worse. Im on trimethoprim u shud try it and gives antibiotics and go. X

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 03/23/2019 7:34 pm

I'm sorry that you are struggling. I've been in the same boat....many times. I strongly believe in having a sound diet but for some acne sufferers, a stellar diet is only part of the puzzle. You may need to look into other avenues while keeping your diet such as stress, overall lifestyle, vitamin deficiencies, etc.

MemberMember
(@foodforthought)

Posted : 03/23/2019 7:34 pm

I disagree, would avoid anti-biotics as they are not very effective for acne these days, will only clear up skin whilst on them if lucky, but then ruin your gut bacteria for years afterwards causing worse acne!

Predisposition to acne is obviously genetic and influenced by hormones, but thereare also many factors that can affect acne through alteringhormone levels or reducing antioxidants,of which diet is only one. In my best guess it could also be:

* Environmental Stress (including hard water in home and what oh put on your skin).

* Deficiency (I.e. of Vitamin A)

* Poor gut health

Ive often found that what I add IN to my diet has more effect than what I cut out in terms of boosting anti-oxidants. The best effects Ive ever had were from morning green smoothies and cutting out coffee. A moderate exercise programme also key to reducing inflammation and balancing hormones. Ive also found that when I reduce what I put on my skin to just a gentle face wash and a tea tree/thyme gel only my skin is way better. The only topical that ever improves it every time is Alpha Lipoic Acid (and anti-oxidant).

Without a doubt would ensure you have a water filter for any water that touches your face; one that filters fluoride too.

Taking probiotics (very high quality ones)and Omega 3 with Evening Primrose Oilin the past seems to have had a really positive impact.

I personally find that walnuts, dark chocolate and sunflower seeds do cause me breakouts and published research supports the latter two. When Ive chosen to eat them in the past I end up eating them every day, so there is a clear cause and effect.

MemberMember
(@umar99)

Posted : 03/23/2019 8:35 pm

Have you tried tretinoin or differin

MemberMember
(@brokenhow)

Posted : 03/23/2019 8:45 pm

1 hour ago, leelowe1 said:

I'm sorry that you are struggling. I've been in the same boat....many times. I strongly believe in having a sound diet but for some acne sufferers, a stellar diet is only part of the puzzle. You may need to look into other avenues while keeping your diet such as stress, overall lifestyle, vitamin deficiencies, etc.

Yeah, it's about figuring out this puzzle but I feel like I have no clue or path to follow. Perhaps it's stress, which is kind of like a vicious circle sinceit is caused by acne. It's not too much though... As for my lifestyle or vitamin deficiencies I wouldn't be so convinced...

1 hour ago, Foodforthought said:

I disagree, would avoid anti-biotics as they are not very effective for acne these days, will only clear up skin whilst on them if lucky, but then ruin your gut bacteria for years afterwards causing worse acne!

Predisposition to acne is obviously genetic and influenced by hormones, but thereare also many factors that can affect acne through alteringhormone levels or reducing antioxidants,of which diet is only one. In my best guess it could also be:

* Environmental Stress (including hard water in home and what oh put on your skin).

* Deficiency (I.e. of Vitamin A)

* Poor gut health

Ive often found that what I add IN to my diet has more effect than what I cut out in terms of boosting anti-oxidants. The best effects Ive ever had were from morning green smoothies and cutting out coffee. A moderate exercise programme also key to reducing inflammation and balancing hormones. Ive also found that when I reduce what I put on my skin to just a gentle face wash and a tea tree/thyme gel only my skin is way better. The only topical that ever improves it every time is Alpha Lipoic Acid (and anti-oxidant).

Without a doubt would ensure you have a water filter for any water that touches your face; one that filters fluoride too.

Taking probiotics (very high quality ones)and Omega 3 with Evening Primrose Oilin the past seems to have had a really positive impact.

I personally find that walnuts, dark chocolate and sunflower seeds do cause me breakouts and published research supports the latter two. When Ive chosen to eat them in the past I end up eating them every day, so there is a clear cause and effect.

It is hard to figure out those factors... I did make sure to replace what I took out with much healthier food options.Still haven't found any specific triggers and I doubt I will. Haven't really tried outmany treatments, but those which I've tried like antibiotics or BP haven't really had any effect.

MemberMember
(@polly28)

Posted : 04/10/2019 5:05 pm

On 3/24/2019 at 12:11 AM, Michelle waldron said:

Unfortuantely contray to popular relief Acne isnt diet realted it is to much sebum in your skin a natural lubricant that protects our skin and testosterone is the hormone that makes it worse. Im on trimethoprim u shud try it and gives antibiotics and go. X

There is plenty of scientific evidence that diet does affect acne , it's been known for a decade. Processed carbs , lactose and high glycemic foods have an affect onacne.

MemberMember
(@lifeswaitingtobegin)

Posted : 04/20/2019 9:29 pm

On 3/24/2019 at 12:11 AM, Michelle waldron said:

I have to disagree...I cleaned my diet up and it worked wonders,antibiotics can be ashort term fix but will more than likely stop working and your acne will come back (possibly even worse than before).

MemberMember
(@aussie-scientist)

Posted : 04/21/2019 12:27 am

It is possible that brokenhow has candida or malasezzia caused by taking antibiotics (?). Candida and malasezzia look like acne, but they are fungal. A white coating on one's tongue is indicative of candida and dandruff is indicative of malasezzia. Outbreaks of candida and of malasezzia are caused by taking antibiotics (and sometimes by birth control pills or implants).

Some foods and food additives (eg, gluten, dairy, sugar, preservatives, all inflammatory foods) can make candida and malasezzia worse, but candida and malasezzia cannot be controlled by diet.

If you have either of the above symptoms (white coating on tongue or dandruff), brokehow, get back to me and I can provide information about how to treat the candida or the malasezzia. In the meantime, keep your skin dry and do NOT apply moisturiser, as fungus loves moisture, and malasezzia feeds on the organic oils in moisturisers.