Notifications
Clear all

Water and less dairy

MemberMember
(@alanjn)

Posted : 03/14/2019 5:57 pm

Hi. I recently joined and just wanted to share a possible solution for some people. I know we are all different, but the most helpful thing I have ever done for my skin is to start drinking lots of water. I started on 5 litres a day and now drink between 3 and 5 a day. I've been doing this for a few years and it has vastly improved my skin to the point where I have actually stopped worrying about it.

I did combine this with avoiding too much dairy (particularly milk), adding some antioxidant foods such as almonds, red cabbage and kidney beans, and making sure I took a vitamin D.

However, I'm sure it is the water that's the main help as it also improved my hair which was becoming straggly and thin. Obviously my skin needs a lot of hydration and other people might be the same.

It's really hard to convince people that just drinking water could help. It probably seems too simple, but I would definitely give it a go. After many years suffering from acne (I'm in my early forties) I finally feel as though I have it under control. Not cured but also not stopping me from living my life.

Sorry for long first post but I thought it could be of help.

MemberMember
(@j_kimberly)

Posted : 05/16/2019 1:14 am

On 3/14/2019 at 3:57 PM, AlanJN said:

Hi. I recently joined and just wanted to share a possible solution for some people. I know we are all different, but the most helpful thing I have ever done for my skin is to start drinking lots of water. I started on 5 litres a day and now drink between 3 and 5 a day. I've been doing this for a few years and it has vastly improved my skin to the point where I have actually stopped worrying about it.

I did combine this with avoiding too much dairy (particularly milk), adding some antioxidant foods such as almonds, red cabbage and kidney beans, and making sure I took a vitamin D.

However, I'm sure it is the filtered waterthat's the main help as it also improved my hair which was becoming straggly and thin. Obviously my skin needs a lot of hydration and other people might be the same.

It's really hard to convince people that just drinking water could help. It probably seems too simple, but I would definitely give it a go. After many years suffering from acne (I'm in my early forties) I finally feel as though I have it under control. Not cured but also not stopping me from living my life.

Sorry for long first post but I thought it could be of help.

Congrats, Alan! Glad that this worked for you.
In general, moisturize no matter what, oily or dry or normal your skin needs it. Drinking water helps with your insides when your digestion fails which results in acne, but it's the lotion that helps you on the outside. Just dont use the scent ones use your basic ones because scented can cause more oil on your face and make you break out.
Just a piece of advice, of course it's nothing wrong in drinking more water as long as you keep to the recommended range. But please, do not get suckered into thinking that it is the panacea for your skin.Your course of action should be to contact your medical practitioner for a consultation first!

MemberMember
(@aussie-scientist)

Posted : 05/16/2019 2:17 am

Do NOT use moisturisers if you have fungal acne, caused by malasezzia (which also causes dandruff and seb. dermatitis and flaking skin and acne like outbreaks). Malasezzia fungus FEEDS on the organic oils in moisturisers, and fungus loves moisture.