Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dwango

Yay, the Derm didn't renew my Accutane Rx!

It only took 6 months and 22800mg (60, 100, 120, 160, 160, 160) of the damn stuff, but it's done, for now at least. Now I'm on to Cleocin-T and Differin topicals, and then maybe an oral antibiotic sometime down the road. And, my skin is smooth and clear. Anyone that has been disappointed with Accutane thus far: just stick with it.

It was a lot, about 1.6mg/kg. My acne was "stubborn"... I didn't really see any results until I jumped from 120 to 160. And, in the US, doctors will sometimes go up to 2mg/kg, depending on the situation. I've heard the UK is a bit more reserved.

I agree with GO that the dose seems extremely high. Did you suffer any awful side effects? Was your skin drier than the rest of us low-dose 'taners?

Either way, congratulations on your clear skin. You seem to be extremely happy with the results and I know we are harder on ourselves than anyone else so I imagine that your skin looks wonderful!!!

And it must be a major relief to be off of such a high dose of Accutane.

No abnormal side effects. Just dry skin on my upper-upper torso (shoulders, chest, upper back), along with the dry face and lips.

It only took 6 months and 22800mg (60, 100, 120, 160, 160, 160) of the damn stuff, but it's done, for now at least.  Now I'm on to Cleocin-T and Differin topicals, and then maybe an oral antibiotic sometime down the road.  And, my skin is smooth and clear.  Anyone that has been disappointed with Accutane thus far: just stick with it.

That is a lot.  So were you still breaking out in the 6th month and then you stopped?  My daughter is in month 6 and still gets one or two.  On top of the red marks that's not so great  at this point.

thats not really that high actually. I have been taking 80 mg 2X a day and its month 5 so my numbers may be even higher than that.