Notifications
Clear all

Accutane Log 18y/o Male

MemberMember
(@fh99)

Posted : 03/09/2019 2:53 am

Hello all! Im brand new to this site but Ive read different forums on here for years. This upcoming Wednesday Ill be meeting back with my dermatologist to discuss Accutane and hopefully get prescribed it. Its unfortunate that its come to this however Ive done everything I can up until this point. Though Accutane is sometimes frowned upon Im excited to start this journey and hopefully never really have to deal with acne again after this. Let me give you a quick backstory before I hopefully start this journey.

Ive had mild cystic acne since middle school and throughout high school. My junior year I started developing acne on my body and my doctor prescribed me doxycycline. I took that for about 6 months and almost Instantly cleared up any acne I had. I went off of it and started getting mild acne again. A few months later I had the worst breakout I ever had to this day. After dealing with it for a few months and no signs of it stopping I started doxycycline again and once more it cleared me up 100%. Took that for another 6 months and went off of it for 2 months and broke out again but very mildly. Still after having a clear complexion I hated the mild acne and started doxy again. Unfortunately it didnt do anything this time and the acne kept coming. I then switched over to monocycline and still nothing cleared up. My theory is I became resistant to the tetracycline antibiotics as a whole for taking them for so long. Here I am still taking some monocycline even though I know its not doing really anything at least its something until I get something else.

As of right now I have some whiteheads in my mustache area. A few on my chin that havent came up and about 4cysts on the right side of my face\neck. I could go on and on all day about how acne sucks and my entire story but Ill save you the details. I just want my clear skin back and if Accutane is what it takes then its a road Im willing to go down. Im going to ask to also get prescribed Bactrim which is a different class of antibiotic (that hopefully Im not resistant too) to help with the initial breakout. Ill keep you all updated on if I get prescribed it and what dose!

Also, trust me Ive tried just about everything. Like I said currently taking Monocyline (which appears to be doing nothing) Im also currently taking Clindamycin topical lotion (which appears to be doing nothing). Ive taken doxycline in the past which did helped and it was fun while it lasted, Ive tried BP, Salyic Acid, sulfur, apple cider vinegar, Aztec healing clay, cutting out dairy, lots of water, this and that. For anyone going on antibiotics honestly trust me dont do it. I read so many forums of people saying dont go on them and I didnt listen because at first it worked. Thing is, it probably will work and it will get you clear. For a short amount of time and then guess what... it comes back worse way way worse. Im a victim of that right now and if only I wouldve listen to all those forums smh.

I noticed upon doing my research on Accutane that many logs were incomplete and people stopped updating the followers as soon as theyre skin cleared up and most likley never returned to this site because they have no reason too! They have clear skin. I want to ensure that even WHEN my skin clears up on this I will continue to update!

MemberMember
(@fh99)

Posted : 03/13/2019 1:14 am

On 3/8/2019 at 11:53 PM, FH99 said:

Hello all! I™m brand new to this site but I™ve read different forums on here for years. This upcoming Wednesday I™ll be meeting back with my dermatologist to discuss Accutane and hopefully get prescribed it. It™s unfortunate that it™s come to this however I™ve done everything I can up until this point. Though Accutane is sometimes frowned upon I™m excited to start this journey and hopefully never really have to deal with acne again after this. Let me give you a quick backstory before I hopefully start this journey.

Ive had mild cystic acne since middle school and throughout high school. My junior year I started developing acne on my body and my doctor prescribed me doxycycline. I took that for about 6 months and almost Instantly cleared up any acne I had. I went off of it and started getting mild acne again. A few months later I had the worst breakout I ever had to this day. After dealing with it for a few months and no signs of it stopping I started doxycycline again and once more it cleared me up 100%. Took that for another 6 months and went off of it for 2 months and broke out again but very mildly. Still after having a clear complexion I hated the mild acne and started doxy again. Unfortunately it didn™t do anything this time and the acne kept coming. I then switched over to monocycline and still nothing cleared up. My theory is I became resistant to the tetracycline antibiotics as a whole for taking them for so long. Here I am still taking some monocycline even though I know it™s not doing really anything at least it™s something until I get something else. 

As of right now I have some whiteheads in my mustache area. A few on my chin that haven™t came up and about 4 cysts on the right side of my face\neck. I could go on and on all day about how acne sucks and my entire story but I™ll save you the details. I just want my clear skin back and if Accutane is what it takes then it™s a road I™m willing to go down. I™m going to ask to also get prescribed Bactrim which is a different class of antibiotic (that hopefully I™m not resistant too) to help with the initial breakout. I™ll keep you all updated on if I get prescribed it and what dose!

Also, trust me I™ve tried just about everything. Like I said currently taking Monocyline (which appears to be doing nothing) I™m also currently taking Clindamycin topical lotion (which appears to be doing nothing). I™ve taken doxycline in the past which did helped and it was fun while it lasted, I™ve tried BP, Salyic Acid, sulfur, apple cider vinegar, Aztec healing clay, cutting out dairy, lots of water, this and that. For anyone going on antibiotics honestly trust me don™t do it. I read so many forums of people saying don™t go on them and I didn™t listen because at first it worked. Thing is, it probably will work and it will get you clear. For a short amount of time and then guess what... it comes back worse way way worse. Im a victim of that right now and if only I would™ve listen to all those forums smh.

Also I™m 18y/o Male.

Though I know that no one is following this log yet, I hope that this will help some people!

I got prescribed Accutane today but not very easily surprisingly. I told my derm today that antibiotics weren™t working anymore and he said good thing there™s other antibiotics and my heart sank. Luckily I rebuttled a bit and he brought in his RN who runs the acne clinic. Told her everything I™ve used and she took me to her office away from the derm. Said she would start me off on a low dose. Praise the lord seriously. 

As soon as my blood work gets approved in 2 days I can pick up my prescription, starting at 20mg which I know is low but honestly I was lucky to even get prescribed it because they weren™t having it for some reason. Just on my face alone I have 5 cysts rn so idk why it was so hard but so be it. If all goes smoothly the first month then we will slowly increase my dose to 60mg. I asked for something to help with the potential IB but they shut that down real quick hahah. Guess I™m lucky to even be prescribed the miracle drug in the end. I will make sure to give you all a thourough log throughout this and I hope for some interaction! Stay safe everyone :)

MemberMember
(@fh99)

Posted : 03/13/2019 1:34 am

17 minutes ago, FH99 said:

Though I know that no one is following this log yet, I hope that this will help some people!

I got prescribed Accutane today but not very easily surprisingly. I told my derm today that antibiotics weren™t working anymore and he said good thing there™s other antibiotics and my heart sank. Luckily I rebuttled a bit and he brought in his RN who runs the acne clinic. Told her everything I™ve used and she took me to her office away from the derm. Said she would start me off on a low dose. Praise the lord seriously. 

As soon as my blood work gets approved in 2 days I can pick up my prescription, starting at 20mg which I know is low but honestly I was lucky to even get prescribed it because they weren™t having it for some reason. Just on my face alone I have 5 cysts rn so idk why it was so hard but so be it. If all goes smoothly the first month then we will slowly increase my dose to 60mg. I asked for something to help with the potential IB but they shut that down real quick hahah. Guess I™m lucky to even be prescribed the miracle drug in the end. I will make sure to give you all a thourough log throughout this and I hope for some interaction! Stay safe everyone :)

Also forgot to mention I took my last pill of minocycline this morning before my appt and it feels great. New journey ahead. It™s funny because these last couple months when I started on doxy again after a month break, I was so confused as to why I was continuing to break out. I changed so many things in my life from this to that thinkining œoh this is why I keep breaking out when In reality antibiotics just eventually stop working. Don™t get my wrong they work great at first. But it™s not a cure by any means. It™s a taste of what it™s like to have clear skin. And that taste is great. Now I that I know what it™s like I™m coming back for it with a real cure.

MemberMember
(@fh99)

Posted : 03/14/2019 8:19 pm

On 3/12/2019 at 11:34 PM, FH99 said:

Also forgot to mention I took my last pill of minocycline this morning before my appt and it feels great. New journey ahead. Its funny because these last couple months when I started on doxy again after a month break, I was so confused as to why I was continuing to break out. I changed so many things in my life from this to that thinkining oh this is why I keep breaking out when In reality antibiotics just eventually stop working. Dont get my wrong they work great at first. But its not a cure by any means. Its a taste of what its like to have clear skin. And that taste is great. Now I that I know what its like Im coming back for it with a real cure.

So my blood test results came back and everything appears to be in check. My doctor should be calling me tomorrow to approve the prescription which means my first day should be tomorrow! Below Ill post the items Ill be using during month one.

Accutane 20mg, Cerave Hydrating Facial cleanser, Dr. Dans Cortibalm, Nivea Creme, and Aquaphor at night on excessivley dry areas.

Quite frankly at 20mg a day Im hoping that the low dose will give my body a chance to slowly ease into this treatment and wont cause too many side effects. My biggest concern is the initial breakout but its not like I wont survive it!

MemberMember
(@gutskinaxis)

Posted : 03/14/2019 9:09 pm

Drink lots of water. Take a B vitamin supplement if you start getting excessively tired. Eat a healthy and balanced diet.

Acne is a powerful drug, treat your body well while you are on it.

MemberMember
(@ak594)

Posted : 03/15/2019 11:07 am

17 yr old male taking 40mg a day to start. On week 1 day 4, noticing face and ears feel hot but not much else. stocked up on aquapor, cetaphil etc.

MemberMember
(@fh99)

Posted : 03/15/2019 1:47 pm

16 hours ago, gutskinaxis said:

Drink lots of water. Take a B vitamin supplement if you start getting excessively tired. Eat a healthy and balanced diet.

Acne is a powerful drug, treat your body well while you are on it.

Thank you for the advice will do!! I tried vitamin b5 to clear my acne because I had heard great things about it. Tried it the last 2 months and didn™t do much for me :(. Do you recommend vitamin b12 for energy?

2 hours ago, ak594 said:

17 yr old male taking 40mg a day to start.  On week 1 day 4, noticing face and ears feel hot but not much else.  stocked up on aquapor, cetaphil etc. 

Good luck man keep me updated! At least we know that clear skin is at the end of this!

MemberMember
(@gutskinaxis)

Posted : 03/15/2019 1:54 pm

6 minutes ago, FH99 said:

Thank you for the advice will do!! I tried vitamin b5 to clear my acne because I had heard great things about it. Tried it the last 2 months and didn™t do much for me :(. Do you recommend vitamin b12 for energy?

Good luck man keep me updated! At least we know that clear skin is at the end of this!

Yes accutane depletes your bodies b12

MemberMember
(@fh99)

Posted : 03/15/2019 2:19 pm

24 minutes ago, gutskinaxis said:

Yes accutane depletes your bodies b12

Got it thank you for the advice! I did a ton on research and that never came up so i appreciate the extra Info !

MemberMember
(@fh99)

Posted : 03/15/2019 7:43 pm

Hahah funny situation just happened me. So very few times in my life have I had my acne get the best of me. Usually results in me throwing a acne wash at the wall or something similar but very few times . Anyway as I was just sitting down looking in the mirror seeing the 3 cluster of big red pimples on my upper lip I was getting very worked up. Slowly feeling anger rush through my body suddenly my phone starts ringing. I awnser and its my derm. She said my blood results came back and everything looks good and my prescription is ready for pickup. Now in my car heading to the pharmacy. She was supposed to call yesterday and I was getting discouraged but timing is always funny.

MemberMember
(@fh99)

Posted : 03/15/2019 9:36 pm

Month 1, Day 1

first pill of 20mg down. Only side effect is excitement. Though I know this will cause some side effects and I will most likely have a initial breakout Im very optimistic about this whole thing. I know that at the end of this treatment my skin will be the most clear its ever been even better than antibiotics. As far as the initial breakout goes,itll definitely suck but all the pimples that come out were already there and were gonna be coming eventually so might as well get it done now right?

MemberMember
(@devsaccutanelog)

Posted : 03/15/2019 10:07 pm

Hey man! I'm on day 10 of my journey. I'll be posting on the weekly to reflect on how my process is coming along. Let's be buddies on this journey together!

FH99 liked
MemberMember
(@fh99)

Posted : 03/15/2019 11:39 pm

1 hour ago, DevsAccutaneLog said:

Hey man! I'm on day 10 of my journey. I'll be posting on the weekly to reflect on how my process is coming along. Let's be buddies on this journey together!

Yes bro! Hows everything going so far?!

MemberMember
(@fh99)

Posted : 03/16/2019 11:34 am

Week 1, Day 2

Ok so morning of day 2 I of course go directly to the mirror as Im sure most of us do. Gotta see what were dealing with today. So immediately I notice the 3 cluster of zits above my lips got bigger... even with the slab of Salyic acid over them. Then I look down at 2 cysts in my chin/jaw area that have been there a couple weeks and notice theyve both come to a head? Not necessarily contributing this to the Accutane but a little confused on the timing and how a cyst came to a head. Ive never had that happen. Anyways Ill update tonight.

ok so its now evening and Im laying down rn and suddenly me entire cheeks and my arms/elbows are having a burning sensation? Doesnt hurt necessarily but weird. Anyway no dryness yet of the lips or the skin.

MemberMember
(@fh99)

Posted : 03/17/2019 5:24 pm

Week 1, Day 3

Not a whole lot to report today. Nothing is really dry yet and things are basically the same as yesterday!

MemberMember
(@fh99)

Posted : 03/17/2019 11:04 pm

Going off the log for a second here, I was looking at old logs and posts and interactions and i saw this one that was started in 2006. It was a thread of peoples before and after pictures on Accutane. People still put there pictures on there to this day 13 years later. Crazy. But mainly this site used to have so much more interaction. People would communicate with each other and it just seemed way better. So with that said hopefully we can all interact on this log and talk about what weve tried and what works and doesnt work. After all, were all trying to defeat one common enemy!!

MemberMember
(@fh99)

Posted : 03/18/2019 12:48 pm

Week 1, Day 4

Ok so its morning right now and definitely starting to experience some sort of a initial breakout. New zits are coming up end there coming to a head almost instantly. Looks kinda gross.

MemberMember
(@ak594)

Posted : 03/18/2019 4:44 pm

Week 1 day 6, skin definitely getting drier, no real initial break out yet, I guess the word is still to come.

FH99 liked
MemberMember
(@fh99)

Posted : 03/18/2019 4:51 pm

5 minutes ago, ak594 said:

Week 1 day 6, skin  definitely getting drier, no real initial break out yet, I guess the word is still to come. 

Awesome man glad to hear! Yea my lips are getting a little dry but my skins all good so far! Definitely a initial breakout for me though :(

MemberMember
(@weady97)

Posted : 03/19/2019 9:28 am

16 hours ago, ak594 said:

Week 1 day 6, skin definitely getting drier, no real initial break out yet, I guess the word is still to come.

I'm on day 7 and noticing more dry skin and starting to break out. Not my usual cyst breakout though, just a lot of whiteheads.

MemberMember
(@fh99)

Posted : 03/19/2019 9:55 am

25 minutes ago, weady97 said:

I'm on day 7 and noticing more dry skin and starting to break out. Not my usual cyst breakout though, just a lot of whiteheads.

Good luck with the IB! Ive already started breaking out decently bad and what Ive done is honestly just not look at myself throughout the day. Im used to looking in every mirror I see and going on Snapchat 24/7 and honestly just not looking right now is what is best for me. Im not so paranoid all day. What dosage are you on, if you dont mind me asking?

weady97 liked
MemberMember
(@weady97)

Posted : 03/19/2019 12:15 pm

2 hours ago, FH99 said:

Good luck with the IB! Ive already started breaking out decently bad and what Ive done is honestly just not look at myself throughout the day. Im used to looking in every mirror I see and going on Snapchat 24/7 and honestly just not looking right now is what is best for me. Im not so paranoid all day. What dosage are you on, if you dont mind me asking?

That's what I've been doing too, whenever I go to the bathroom I avoid looking up cause I will want to start to pick or get worried. I'm starting off at 30mg once a day. How do you like the Cerave Cleanser? I need to find something different.

MemberMember
(@fh99)

Posted : 03/19/2019 9:08 pm

10 hours ago, weady97 said:

That's what I've been doing too, whenever I go to the bathroom I avoid looking up cause I will want to start to pick or get worried. I'm starting off at 30mg once a day. How do you like the Cerave Cleanser? I need to find something different.

Honestly!! I mean I look In the morning so I can update but other than that Ill just leave it alone and not look. Dude the cerave cleanser is trash hahaha. Ive been using it and it definitely hydrates or whatever but I feel like it doesnt clean my face at all.

Week 1, Day 5

ok so For a living Im a fitness model. Not gonna say my name on here but essentially I really need this acne gone lol. But basically today I was sending some pictures to my comp prep trainer and I took one of my back and when I looked at it closely my back was like covered in small tiny Whiteheads. This initial breakout really hitting everywhere :(( but theres always light at the end of the tunnel!! Also when I had my workout tonight the sweat burned my face. Same thing used to happen when I was on doxycycline so its probably just the photosensitivty.

weady97 liked
MemberMember
(@fh99)

Posted : 03/20/2019 8:22 am

Week 1, Day 6

so the amount pimples I have actually hurts. If I scrunch or move my face in anyway Im in pain. My back is in pain because of the pimples. This purge sucks. Also anyone else getting irritable? I noticed me getting annoyed at small things a few days in, but last night my friend said something pertaining to me about buying a lot of video games and I literally got so pissed and started going off? After like 10 minutes I told him I was on Accutane and he fully understood. He said another buddy of his was crazy when he was on this and punched a whole through a door at one point lol. Hopefully dont do that!

its about 2pm now and I broke out mid day even more. Every time I go to the mirror I have new pimples that are ready to pop. Easily have 10+ cysts/pimples on my face and probably another 10 on my back. I legit looked in the mirror and laughed because of how bad I look rn. Back in November my skin was crystal clear. Crazy how much can change so fast.

now 6pm and my pimples are literally popping themselves.

MemberMember
(@weady97)

Posted : 03/20/2019 9:02 am

32 minutes ago, FH99 said:

Week 1, Day 6

so the amount pimples I have actually hurts. If I scrunch or move my face in anyway Im in pain. My back is in pain because of the pimples. This purge sucks. Also anyone else getting irritable? I noticed me getting annoyed at small things a few days in, but last night my friend said something pertaining to me about buying a lot of video games and I literally got so pissed and started going off? After like 10 minutes I told him I was on Accutane and he fully understood. He said another buddy of his was crazy when he was on this and punched a whole through a door at one point lol. Hopefully dont do that!

When I go in for my one month check up and refill I'm going to see if I can get on bactrim or something like that. I work retail, its very stressful for me standing in front of customer. I actually only got about 2 hours of sleep cause of back pain. Just to think this is day 8 of the next 6 months...