Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Today is hard. Really, really hard. I am emotionally at one of my lowest points I've ever been. My face won't heal. New spots appear. I feel bad for getting emotional support from my 21 year old daughter.  It shouldn't burden her, but I need someone there who will listen. I pray and pray and feel like God has not listened to me.  I say this for the first time in my life ... I have always felt He would listen and guide me, but I feel forgotten.  

We are all in this together :) Hope is a good thing. I recently self-inflicted an area of indented scarring on my cheek due to regrettable picking, how I regret it so so much. I wish I had acne rather than scars as acne is not permanent.

On 3/8/2019 at 10:38 AM, KarenM said:

Today is hard. Really, really hard. I am emotionally at one of my lowest points I've ever been. My face won't heal. New spots appear. I feel bad for getting emotional support from my 21 year old daughter.  It shouldn't burden her, but I need someone there who will listen. I pray and pray and feel like God has not listened to me.  I say this for the first time in my life ... I have always felt He would listen and guide me, but I feel forgotten.  

Karen I'm in a similar boat. My acne started at age 44 and it's ruining my life.

On 3/8/2019 at 10:38 AM, KarenM said:

If you're old enough to have a 21 year old daughter, we might be close in age.  I'm 45 years old and I have been dealing with cystic acne since I was 12.

Karen M. Mary Madison and others

If you have adult "acne" (particularly cystic acne), and you have taken antibiotics (and/or birth control pills), then the condition is most likelycaused by fungi (either candida or malasezzia) which cause conditions that look like acne/"cystic acne", but are not acne.

Acne (cystic acne) caused by candida and/or malasezzia can be treated by apply topical antifungal cream. Start by applying clotrimazole cream. If that does not work, get back to me and I can provide information on more targeted antifungals.

Candida causes pimples, cysts ("cystic acne"), nodules, red skin, sometimes ingrown hairs, red rashes which are itchy or sometimes painful, a white tongue and sometimes unexplained tiredness or headaches. Malasezzia causes pimples, cysts ("cystic acne"), nodules, ingrown hairs, redness, but not usually a rash, flaking skin and dandruff. Do you have a white tongue and/or dandruff ? Have you taken antibiotics (or birth control pills or contraceptive implant) ?

If yes, to one or more of the above questions then you very likely have a fungal skin condition, NOT ordinary acne. Get back to me for further information on how to control your condition, if you wish.

13 minutes ago, Aussie Scientist said:

Karen M. Mary Madison and others

If you have adult "acne" (particularly cystic acne), and you have taken antibiotics (and/or birth control pills), then the condition is most likelycaused by fungi (either candida or malasezzia) which cause conditions that look like acne/"cystic acne", but are not acne.

Acne (cystic acne) caused by candida and/or malasezzia can be treated by apply topical antifungal cream. Start by applying clotrimazole cream. If that does not work, get back to me and I can provide information on more targeted antifungals.

Candida causes pimples, cysts ("cystic acne"), nodules, red skin, sometimes ingrown hairs, red rashes which are itchy or sometimes painful, a white tongue and sometimes unexplained tiredness or headaches. Malasezzia causes pimples, cysts ("cystic acne"), nodules, ingrown hairs, redness, but not usually a rash, flaking skin and dandruff. Do you have a white tongue and/or dandruff ? Have you taken antibiotics (or birth control pills or contraceptive implant) ?

If yes, to one or more of the above questions then you very likely have a fungal skin condition, NOT ordinary acne. Get back to me for further information on how to control your condition, if you wish.

I will ask my derm about that. 

Most derms are in denial about skin fungal conditions. Derms often cause the condition by prescribing antibiotics. I strongly suggest that you buy the clotrimazole cream and apply it today. Clotrimazole cream is perfectly safe when used topically.

If you have taken antibiotics and you have a white tongue and/or dandruff, then you have candida and/or malasezzia. Candida and malasezzia are fungi and they have to be controlled with antifungals. Start with topical antifungals as they are safer than oral antifungals.