Notifications
Clear all

Depression after accutane

MemberMember
(@mufasa628)

Posted : 03/07/2019 12:11 am

Hi guys, I'm new to acne.org. I've recently stopped my second course on accutane. This was a three month course of 40mg/kg. Anyways, two weeks after finishing, I started feeling weird. It's hard for me to feel emotions, or be happy about the things I used to be happy about. I've also noticed that my libido has lowered, and it's hard for me to get erect (I'm a male). Finally, I can't eat foods (usually unhealthy ones) without having to use the bathroom. Right after eating said foods, I feel fatigued and unmotivated to socialize. Before and on accutane, I was a positive and outgoing person. I did have some social anxiety but I was still energetic and cheerful nonetheless. Now, I feel like an apathetic person who is unmotivated to socialize. Deep down, I want to make connections with people, but I'm too physically fatigued for it. This all started two weeks AFTERstopping treatment. Why are these symptoms showing up now? It's so frustrating and quite frankly frightening that this is happening when there should be no more accutane left in my system. Please, someone tell me this isn't going to be a permanent thing. Does anyone here have experience with "delayed" symptoms? And were they temporary? Any success stories would be so greatly appreciated. Thank you.

MemberMember
(@robertlove)

Posted : 04/20/2019 1:57 am

I had similar experience. For me, taking B12 and/or SAM-E and/or 5-HTP gave me instant improvement in mood. However, everyone's brain chemistry is different. What worked for me may not work for you.

MemberMember
(@dubya_b)

Posted : 04/26/2019 4:02 pm

On 3/7/2019 at 11:11 AM, Mufasa628 said:

Hi guys, I'm new to acne.org. I've recently stopped my second course on accutane. This was a three month course of 40mg/kg. Anyways, two weeks after finishing, I started feeling weird. It's hard for me to feel emotions, or be happy about the things I used to be happy about. I've also noticed that my libido has lowered, and it's hard for me to get erect (I'm a male). Finally, I can't eat foods (usually unhealthy ones) without having to use the bathroom. Right after eating said foods, I feel fatigued and unmotivated to socialize. Before and on accutane, I was a positive and outgoing person. I did have some social anxiety but I was still energetic and cheerful nonetheless. Now, I feel like an apathetic person who is unmotivated to socialize. Deep down, I want to make connections with people, but I'm too physically fatigued for it. This all started two weeks AFTERstopping treatment. Why are these symptoms showing up now? It's so frustrating and quite frankly frightening that this is happening when there should be no more accutane left in my system. Please, someone tell me this isn't going to be a permanent thing. Does anyone here have experience with "delayed" symptoms? And were they temporary? Any success stories would be so greatly appreciated. Thank you.

I had the same thing develop weeks after stopping my second course short. I also had a brief recovery in between stopping and the worst of the symptoms starting. This time frame is common among those who took finasteride or Accutane and were left with persistent symptoms.

And for god's sake, please don't risk taking SAMe and B-12 together. I made a situation that I couldn't imagine getting much worse after Accutane, much worse, by combining the two supplements. My experience here: [removed]