Im 42 year old fema...

Notifications
Clear all

Im 42 year old female. Nervous about starting Accutaine

MemberMember
(@coffee_sipper15)

Posted : 03/05/2019 11:09 am

Im a 42 year old woman that hascystic acne for so long. Ive tried all things and medications from the dermatologist. Nothing works. Im beyond exhausted with dealing with this. Almost went on accutain before, but I chickened out. Now here I am .. ready to start taking it on Friday this week. But now nervous to start taking it for that round of bad break outs. Traveling out of the country.... and now Im worried about having a bad break out when away. Im going to Italy and Barcelona... dont want to be wondering how my skin will react. So my question is.... will I have the initial break out early in the months before it gets better?? My dermatologist said that typically happens in teenage males.... so I pass that criteria lol. But I have days to make up my mind. Leaning on taking it when I get back or the Fall.

Worried &wondering

[removed]

thanks in advance !!

I have no idea why my post looks strange...

MemberMember
(@yvogue)

Posted : 03/07/2019 3:16 pm

I am so excited for you and your accutane journey! Don't be nervous about the initial breakouts, it cant get much worse then it is now. I remember staring accutane 5 months ago and told myself that even though the initial breakout may be really bad at least i wont have to deal with ever getting acne again in a few months. My initial breakout happened about a week-2 weeks into starting accutane. My skin looked dead and in the worst condition I had ever seen it, however i did not let it get to me because well I always have had to deal with acne. I was definitely embarrassed to be seen but the breakouts cleared up within 4 days. A HUGE tip i have for you is to invest in jojoba oil, add this into your moisturizer because it helps with redness and inflammation and also hydrates the very dry skin you will be having. jojoba oil is like gold for my skin and hyper pigmentation. I continued having 1 or two breakouts every other week for 3 months. I had a bad breakout in month 2 because I flew out of the country. When month 3 was halfway done i realized i had not had a breakout in over 2 weeks! Its now been 2 months and I have not had one single pimple!!!! My hyper pigmentation was bad in month 3 and 4 however this month it is almost competently faded, Ihave maybe 5 very light spots left! This is partly due to the factthat after I stopped breaking out in month 3 I started to incorporate a vitamin c+e serum with my jojoba oil, and I bought a Scar gel made my Derma e. My skin has never looked better,I am so happy I pushed through all the tough times and never gave up on accutane(wish I went on it afew years ago). The onlydown sides I have had were the low self esteem during my breakouts, nose bleeds, and some hair thinning. Besides all of that I am finally in a great peaceful place with my skin and so lucky to almost be done with it. Good Luck!