Notifications
Clear all

Acne caused by birth control (new in acne.org)

MemberMember
(@vicpaz)

Posted : 02/28/2019 10:12 am

Hello people :)

I am new with acne and I would like to have some advice. I was taking birth control pills for two months and I stopped them because they caused me acne (I am 24 years old and I never had acne before). I stopped the pills in December and my skin was ok for one month. After that, breakouts came back and they are worst than when I was on the pill. I have been around one month having breakouts. The first days I felt really depressed but I went to the doctor and she recommended me to use benzoyl peroxide. I have been using it for one week and my skin is slightly better. Does anybody have a similar experience? Although I can control my acne with benzoyl peroxide, I am worried about this. I never had acne before and I know is caused by the pill. I don't know if it is going to go away or if it's gonna be like this forever. Thanks for your time,

Vicpaz.

MemberMember
(@happyeverafter)

Posted : 03/13/2019 5:30 pm

I haven't dealt with what you are as I had acne before going on birth control but I've done extensive research into the matter and it seems your hormones are probably in a bit of a mess right now because of the birth control you were on. Your body needs to adjust back to its normal hormone regulation and this may take a few months maybe even more than that. You can help it along with topicals, bp is fine to use. Eat as clean as possible, exercise and cut out sugar/dairy. Drink nothing but water and green tea. You can even look into taking natural herbal supplements that help with hormone regulation, this might help speed up the process. I think one is called vitex?

MemberMember
(@vicpaz)

Posted : 03/15/2019 2:04 pm

On 3/13/2019 at 11:30 PM, happyeverafter said:

I haven't dealt with what you are as I had acne before going on birth control but I've done extensive research into the matter and it seems your hormones are probably in a bit of a mess right now because of the birth control you were on. Your body needs to adjust back to its normal hormone regulation and this may take a few months maybe even more than that. You can help it along with topicals, bp is fine to use. Eat as clean as possible, exercise and cut out sugar/dairy. Drink nothing but water and green tea. You can even look into taking natural herbal supplements that help with hormone regulation, this might help speed up the process. I think one is called vitex?

Hello, thank you for your answer :)

Yes, I guess my hormones will go back to normal in some months, but I am a bit scared since I read a lot of stories of people that have acne caused by birth control and never went back to normal. For that reason I am very scared. Before I was also thinking of taking these Vitex supplements you mention, but at the end I didn't do it because I read some very bad reviews in acne.org. However, I may consider it in the future. Now I have been using benzoyl peroxide 5% for 3 weeks and it didn't clear my acne yet. My doctor said it may take about 6 weeks so I keep waiting.