Notifications
Clear all

Microneedling after laser treatment

MemberMember
(@estera)

Posted : 02/21/2019 12:08 am

Hey all, been a lurker on these forums for a looong time now and I just recently had a subcision and CO2 Fractional laser treatment done on the same day back 3 months ago now on November 21st.

I've read its most beneficial to give the skin time to fully recover after these types of treatments before continuing with more. Prior to having this procedure done I've been microneedling at home with at most a 2.5mm depth once a month and wish to continue this.

My skin 3 months postsubcision coupled with the CO2 fractional laser still has a very faint red hue to it, but overall appears to be healed on the outside. Do you guys think it should be beneficial for my acne scarring to continue microneedling at this point? Or should I allow the redness to fully subside.

Thank you so much in advance, these forums are a blessing.

MemberMember
(@vidrar)

Posted : 02/21/2019 1:46 am

You should be Ok to needle, but i'd be wary of doing 2.5mm, that was too deep for me and made my scars worse. I switched to 1mm and got good results. Better to be safe, imo

MemberMember
(@skin-pessimist)

Posted : 02/21/2019 4:05 am

2 hours ago, Vidrar said:

You should be Ok to needle, but i'd be wary of doing 2.5mm, that was too deep for me and made my scars worse. I switched to 1mm and got good results. Better to be safe, imo

Agreed -- 2.5mm seems risky

MemberMember
(@estera)

Posted : 02/21/2019 4:56 am

51 minutes ago, Skin Pessimist said:

Agreed -- 2.5mm seems risky

Thanks for the replies I plan on continuing. I double checked my dermapen and the max depth it goes to is actually 2mm,still risky? I haven't had any problems with it so far. I use 2mm on my cheeks and I believe 1.5 on my temples and 1 on the forehead. I can adjust it all to 1.5or 1 butI've been told that deeper is better (I have a couple deep boxcar scars on my face but its mainly rolling scars all over my cheeks and temples) although i know microneedling is mainly used to treat texture irregularities.

Edit: Also, what do I risk going too deep? Or is it redundant?

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 02/21/2019 8:10 am

MemberMember
(@beautifulambition)

Posted : 02/21/2019 9:16 am

@esteraFew things... We don't want to use 2.5mm, longer is not better here. We are not trying to reach the fat and make volume loss. This is also a reason some people don't do well with microneedling they treat at long lengths or don't really need to do the treatment, yet do it all over their face. Just treat the scars if you treat something. Recent data shows .5mm to 1.5mm is all that is needed for microneedling, you want to stay in the dermis. In some countries they ban longer needle lengths because of this data(Singapore, etc). IF you are happy with your skin but just have some red PIE - wounding. Let it heal. Don't aggravate it. I would instead do something like a glycolic peel(s) if your happy with everything else but post treatment PIE. It takes a year to heal from laser FYI on average(we just don't see on the surface what is happening). V-beam or vascular laser is best for this redness. Also nightly use a tretinorin product for cell turnover.