Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Formula1975

Do I need to see a GP for my skin again?

Hi everyone,

I'm at 20 year old male at University and I'm debating if I need to see a GP about my skin. I was treated for moderate cystic acne from mid 2015 to mid 2017 but my skin is still not clear and I feel like I'm at the age where I shouldn't have to worry about my skin/spots anymore. I was given antibiotics and BP but then swapped to adapalene because BP was too drying but before I started Uni they said my skin didn't need it anymore and took me off it. I wasn't happy with my skin although I no longer had cystic acne so tried Proactiv to try and clear what was left but it didnt work.

I now strictly only use a Simple face wash morning and night with a moisturiser and Effaclar Duo (Salicylic acid). I just want to stop getting spots so frequently and stop my skin being so red and patchy from scars. Will my GP be able to do anything as its not proper acne? Also spots are mainly chin and neck area with a few on my hairline/forehead.

Any advice or tips would be great. I feel like getting rid of the acne was easier than getting rid of constant spots.

Thanks!!

I am in my 40s and have recently started having to battle cystic acne again (although mine is most likely hormone-related).  I have tried all sorts of topical  treatments prescription and otc and they don't work for the painful, underground cysts. I was about to make an appointment with a dermatologist and I found that there are a bunch of online services with real dermatologists that will do a consult and send any prescriptions needed to your pharmacy.  You fill out some information on the issue, send pictures and you're done.  I used Yoderm because of their good reviews and great price ($59), though I got $10 off through here https://yoderm.com/ref/11yUugKQjwG/:  This is much cheaper than my doctor.  Not all online doctors are available in all places but hopefully you can find one that works for you.